• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

It really is a religion;

MPs today blasted an 'outrageous' decision by a jury to unanimously clear three Extinction Rebellion activists of obstructing the railway on a Docklands Light Railway train - after the group claimed their actions were justified by their Christian faith and fears for their grandchildren. In their defence, Parfitt said she had felt 'deeply called by God to do all that I can to avert the catastrophe that is on its way to his whole creation', while Newell said he had been asking God while on top of the train to 'forgive us for what we've done'.

Daily Mail

A -rapture like cult.

It really is a religion;

MPs today blasted an 'outrageous' decision by a jury to unanimously clear three Extinction Rebellion activists of obstructing the railway on a Docklands Light Railway train - after the group claimed their actions were justified by their Christian faith and fears for their grandchildren. In their defence, Parfitt said she had felt 'deeply called by God to do all that I can to avert the catastrophe that is on its way to his whole creation', while Newell said he had been asking God while on top of the train to 'forgive us for what we've done'.

Daily Mail

A -rapture like cult.
To be fair, those are a minority of climate change activists. Most do not based their beliefs on any Christian or similar religion, so it's not a representative example.

It really is a religion;

Daily Mail

A -rapture like cult.
To be fair, those are a minority of climate change activists. Most do not based their beliefs on any Christian or similar religion, so it's not a representative example.

The whole climate crisis/emergency/apocalypse is a religion, a rapture like cult.

It really is a religion;

Daily Mail

A -rapture like cult.

The whole climate crisis/emergency/apocalypse is a religion, a rapture like cult.
No, that is not true. It is a crisis, as it is likely to have disastrous consequences for tens millions of people: take a look at the link provided by B20, for example.
The apocalypse part is religious-like, yeah, at least for the most part, as at least most of those believing that do not believe it on the basis of reasonable arguments or evidence.
As for whether it's an emergency, well I would say so, though it depends on how fast it has to be for it to be an emergency - the term is flexible I think. It's not like not acting today gets you killed by tomorrow or something. But delays in action very probably do have very bad effects, i.e., people suffering and dying as a result. Not delays by hours or a day probably, but given longer periods - of the kinds we see in reality - sure.

Unfortunately, climate change activists do seem in a large percentage to hold their beliefs related to the matter in a religious-like manner, from the vast exaggeration of the - actually very bad - predictable consequences, to the worst part of them all: anti-nuclear activism. Purely for example, take a look at this thread and the comments therein. It's so sad. Those people are sincere. They are true believers in the evils of nuclear energy. And chances are they'll never be persuaded otherwise. They'll dedicate time and effort to persuade others to their cause and/or insult, accuse, etc., those who dissent (and who are correct). Just like any religion. So sad.

No, that is not true.

Of course it 's a cult. These climate doomsayers are the exact same as the rapture fanatics that predict the end of the world. And just as accurate.

It is a crisis, as it is likely to have disastrous consequences for tens millions of people: take a look at the link provided by B20, for example.

The link to a CNN report on a study that "suggests" 500,000+ people will die due to climate change? Behave yourselves.

A rapture like cult.

No, that is not true.

Of course it 's a cult. These climate doomsayers are the exact same as the rapture fanatics that predict the end of the world. And just as accurate.

It is a crisis, as it is likely to have disastrous consequences for tens millions of people: take a look at the link provided by B20, for example.

The link to a CNN report on a study that "suggests" 500,000+ people will die due to climate change? Behave yourselves.

A rapture like cult.
Another TSwizzle fizzle.

1. Run into brick wall.
2. Step back.
3. Go to number 1.

'A rapture like cult.' A religious cult like mantra , repeat until one experiences the bliss of wilful ignorance.

1. Chant 'it is like a cult there is no climate change'
2. Go to 1.

You can make a 'bucket' to fit any bore, out of a piece of pipe of smaller diameter, with a flap valve cap on the bottom and a rope secured to the top. Drop it down, wait for it to sink, then haul it up. Even a small bore pipe holds lots of water if it's long enough.

Of course you can, given access to parts. You're assuming access that likely doesn't exist.
You do know that hardware stores and their stock don't cease to exist if their staff die, right?

The demand for materials will far exceed the supply. Same problem as with the food in the groceries.

Most people live within a short distance of a permanent above ground stream or river, but even if a bore is your only option, it doesn't require much technology to rig up a manual lifring system.

I understand that a gallon is around four and a half litres, but have no clue how far a ' is; This is the Internet, not America.

Regardless, a rope, cable, wire or similar of arbitrary length is easy to scavenge. Ordinary household electrical cable is plenty strong enough for the job, and ubiquitous.

A ' is a foot. Thus, about 300m. I don't have anything around long enough.
But the local hardware store does; And the staff are dead, so there's a 100% off final closing down sale in progress.

And why do you assume they're all dead?

And making fire to boil water is a technology the pre-dates the wheel. It certainly pre-dates the widespread supply of electricity and gas.

Making a fire with what? What's the fuel?
Gee, I don't know. It's not like fuel grows on trees.

Oh, wait...

Trees? Not many of those around here and they'll be green wood, miserable fuel.

A rapture like cult.

One extra bad hurricane in Bangladesh could rack up 500k dead.

You can make a 'bucket' to fit any bore, out of a piece of pipe of smaller diameter, with a flap valve cap on the bottom and a rope secured to the top. Drop it down, wait for it to sink, then haul it up. Even a small bore pipe holds lots of water if it's long enough.

Of course you can, given access to parts. You're assuming access that likely doesn't exist.
You do know that hardware stores and their stock don't cease to exist if their staff die, right?

The demand for materials will far exceed the supply. Same problem as with the food in the groceries.

Most people live within a short distance of a permanent above ground stream or river, but even if a bore is your only option, it doesn't require much technology to rig up a manual lifring system.

I understand that a gallon is around four and a half litres, but have no clue how far a ' is; This is the Internet, not America.

Regardless, a rope, cable, wire or similar of arbitrary length is easy to scavenge. Ordinary household electrical cable is plenty strong enough for the job, and ubiquitous.

But the local hardware store does; And the staff are dead, so there's a 100% off final closing down sale in progress.

And making fire to boil water is a technology the pre-dates the wheel. It certainly pre-dates the widespread supply of electricity and gas.

Oh, wait...

Or you could go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a load of 2x4s for firewood while you are getting the rope or cord for your well bucket.

Given it remains largely business as usual, a climate and economic crisis appears inevitable, the only question being: how bad is it going to get?

Only if almost nobody has died during this "extinction event"

That's a defining feature of an extinction event. If there's lots of people still alive, extinction isn't on the cards, is it?

Oh, wait...

Oh, well, if you live in a place where trees are scarce, they must be scarce everywhere.

:rolleyes:

That's a defining feature of an extinction event. If there's lots of people still alive, extinction isn't on the cards, is it?
What you are missing is that most of the deaths will be due to the destruction, not the event itself.

A hell of a lot of people would die from a Carrington event even though it's unlikely to kill anyone directly.

What you are missing is that most of the deaths will be due to the destruction, not the event itself.

A hell of a lot of people would die from a Carrington event even though it's unlikely to kill anyone directly.
The question wasn't "might lots of people die".

It was "might human beings go extinct".

And the answer is "not likely".

Humans are like cockroaches; They are everywhere, and while it's easy to kill a lot of them, it's damn near impossible to kill them all.

But,but my part of Alaska is having the coldest,snowiest winter. WTF.

:rolleyes:

TSwizzle said:
Whether " The whole climate crisis/emergency/apocalypse is a religion, a rapture like cult. " and whether some, or even most or all climate change activists hold their beliefs on faith, as a religion, are very different matters.
Again, it is a crisis, as it is likely to have disastrous consequences for tens millions of people: take a look at the link provided by B20, for example.

Most climate change activists, in my experience, do believe in a faith-based manner. But those are again very different matters.

TSwizzle said:
Due to climate-change related food shortages alone. And that's not counting all the suffering involved.

That's nowhere near extinction level (how many people die per year due to infectious diseases? And extinction is nowhere near.). But it's still pretty bad.

TSwizzle said:
A rapture like cult.
Deniers of the problem also behave in a religious-like manner, for the most part.

It wasn't the Mt St Helens eruption that did damage, it was the ash, pyroclastic flow, and expanding hot gases.

Watched a NOVA show on melting tundra/perma frost.

In Siberia thee are craters from exploding methane gas.

In Alaska there is a shallow lake that eveoped a 50 foot deep hole throuh which rons of metane escape per day. The funnels develop as permafrost melts providing a chimney.

There is a tunnel in the permafrost where you can see mastadon and other bones sticking out. The organic material never rotted and decomposed and is still green. As it melts the carbon goes back to the atmospher. It is not accounted for in the climate models.

The arctic indigenous people are completely screwed right now.

It was said in the show the frezing took thousands of years. The thawing is not going to be reversed. While we need to keep going green, I doubt it is going to soften long term effects.

Back
Top Bottom