• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CNN: Ebola Hysteria

RNA, given the rate of mutation, practically each new infection is a new strain of Ebola. So it's possible, even though the probability may be fairly remote, that it could become more infectious. It needs to be contained as quickly as possible, but developed nations have been dragging their feet.
It can become more infectious or less infectious or just as infectious.
However, at this point everything indicates that this strain of Ebola is NOT airborne. I covered the why and how in the other Ebola thread. I had also detailed which major factors facilitated the rapid and now uncontrolled expansion of Ebola from an outbreak to an epidemic in the 3 affected regions of Western Africa, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

However, at this point everything indicates that this strain of Ebola is NOT airborne.
We know it isn't airborne because only nurses who were directly exposed to those with the Ebola virus in the US have contracted it (and only two nurses at that). My point was the whole "mutation" thing is overemphasized by arm chair virologists. A mutation can be beneficial, negative, or have no real change. Yet, whenever you hear about Ebola mutating, it is as if the super strain is inevitable.

"Airborne's" a tricky term. There's the ability of the virus to remain intact in dry air, then there's it's stability in fluid droplets such as would be expelled in a cough or sneeze. "Not airborne" would include both to most laymen.

If blood, sputum and saliva are infective when 'attached' to the body, why would they become non-infective when aerosolized by a sneeze, where they can be inhaled directly onto a large mucus membrane surface?

If the virus becomes non-infective when dry, why the extensive spray disinfection of interior and exterior surfaces, sidewalks, vehicles, &c?
It's infective when sitting on a surface but becomes harmless when wafted into the air?

If "not airborne," why mask?

"Airborne's" a tricky term. There's the ability of the virus to remain intact in dry air, then there's it's stability in fluid droplets such as would be expelled in a cough or sneeze. "Not airborne" would include both to most laymen.

If blood, sputum and saliva are infective when 'attached' to the body, why would they become non-infective when aerosolized by a sneeze, where they can be inhaled directly onto a large mucus membrane surface?

If the virus becomes non-infective when dry, why the extensive spray disinfection of interior and exterior surfaces, sidewalks, vehicles, &c?
It's infective when sitting on a surface but becomes harmless when wafted into the air?

If "not airborne," why mask?

For starters, let's look at the CDC review concerning human to human transmission :

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/human-transmission.html

Rather than me quoting specific paragraphs, I'd rather you read its entirety and in context so you can then evaluate whether the CDC conclusion is valid.

As to " if not airborne", why mask"?

From the CDC :

http://www.cdc.gov/hai/pdfs/ppe/ppeslides6-29-04.pdf

All of the PPE listed here prevent contact with the infectious agent, or body fluid
that may contain the infectious agent, by creating a barrier between the worker and
the infectious material. Gloves, protect the hands, gowns or aprons protect the skin
and/or clothing, masks and respirators protect the mouth and nose, goggles protect
the eyes, and face shields protect the entire face.

The protection of "nose and mouth" from non airborne pathogens concerns the potential for exposure and contamination of mucous membranes via "splattering"(splash/spray) or a port of entry for the virus based on infected bodily fluids or secretions coming in contact with nose or mouth. There needs not to be an aerosol factor at play for health care personnel to be wearing a mask.

Further and specifically regarding the use of a mask under the heading of :

Face Protection
• Masks – protect nose and mouth
– Should fully cover nose and mouth and prevent
fluid penetration.

Masks should fully cover the nose and mouth and prevent fluid penetration. Masks
should fit snuggly over the nose and mouth. For this reason, masks that have a
flexible nose piece and can be secured to the head with string ties or elastic are
preferable.

Note the specific of " prevent fluid penetration".

As a health care worker if I were to have to handle bodily fluids/secretions where "splashing" is a potential, I would wear a mask. That is why there is a mask in the mandated PPE bag we keep in the homes of our home health care admitted clients. We need not to have an infected client to wear a mask to prevent "splashing".

RNA, given the rate of mutation, practically each new infection is a new strain of Ebola. So it's possible, even though the probability may be fairly remote, that it could become more infectious. It needs to be contained as quickly as possible, but developed nations have been dragging their feet.

That's basically what I was saying. Obviously Ebola becoming less infectious is not so much the problem, or even if if stays on par. It becomes a bigger problem if it becomes more infectious, or in the worst case, airborne like the flu. Then we have a true pandemic on our hands.

what is Hystaria?

A physician in 1859 claimed that a quarter of all women suffered from hysteria. One physician catalogued seventy-five pages of possible symptoms of hysteria and called the list incomplete;[4] almost any ailment could fit the diagnosis. Physicians thought that the stresses associated with modern life caused civilized women to be both more susceptible to nervous disorders and to develop faulty reproductive tracts.[5] In the United States, such disorders in women reaffirmed that the U.S. was on par with Europe; one American physician expressed pleasure that the country was ”catching up” to Europe in the prevalence of hysteria.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

By the way, I edited the title of the thread to reflect the correct spelling. Which hopefully will put an end to hijacking the discussion away from the intended OP content.

Everyone who aint in a tizzy is crazy. I haven't come out of my house since Legionnaire's Disease, which the Democrats created to kill off the patriots. God help us Jesus.

ahahahahaha...and there we have the Chairman of the Oversight Committee's blunder regarding Guinea,

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-10-24/issa-cites-guyana-at-ebola-hearing?cmpid=yhoo

Further, from the video footage of his speech,

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/stark-partisan-contrast-in-ebola-response-347616835868

noting how he also pronounces "Ebola" as "Eboli". Maybe he has been exposed too many times to the term "E-Coli" that he thinks Ebola should be pronounced "Eboli". What are we to expect from an individual who gets his wires crossed between "Guyana" and " Guinea". We in fact should expect that as many times as Guinea was clearly mentioned via the media to include its actual location in Western Africa, Issa would not be babbling about Guyana located in South America. But it is possible Issa has not spent much time in his existence if any time at all looking at a map of the world.

And of course his claim "you can catch Eboli from sitting by someone on a bus". And that clown is the Chairman of the Oversight Committee on Ebola????????

Is that part of the GOP MO to keep fueling irrational fear?

Then, Peter King who appears to know more about Ebola transmission than medical experts do.( from video footage).

Back
Top Bottom