• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CNN: Ebola Hysteria

Nice Squirrel

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Only the Nice Squirrel can save us.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/health/ebola-overreaction/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This is getting ridiculous.

While the threat of Ebola is very real in Africa, the paranoia it's generated in the United States is unreal.

You can count the number of documented cases in America on two hands -- and still have fingers to spare.
And who is responsible for this fear? CNN?
The right-wing is stoking the flames as well.

Also the steadfast hate of Obama has convinced some on the right that Obama is only acting on the Ebola isn't because of polling... because the idea of being a sitting President who oversaw a massive ebola epidemic is apparently not an obvious thing that any President would want to prevent.

I blame Osama Bin Laden.

Seriously.

During 9/11 both I and most everyone else had CNN on constantly for the next few weeks to see what else was going to happen. The corporation learned quite conclusively that panic and hysteria keeps viewers tuned in in a way that isn't matched by sober, reflective and insightful journalism. That means that they need to constantly make sure that there's at least one mass hysteria going on at any time so that they don't need to worry about a drop in shareholder valuations.

It's why they were The Missing Plane Network for about a month. Now they're The Ebola Network. Next month they'll be something else. Sometimes their current schtick catches on better than others, but they seem to always have a "thing" that they bea to death for awhile.

The right-wing is stoking the flames as well.

Also the steadfast hate of Obama has convinced some on the right that Obama is only acting on the Ebola isn't because of polling... because the idea of being a sitting President who oversaw a massive ebola epidemic is apparently not an obvious thing that any President would want to prevent.
I blame the news media, human neuropsychology and the medical community.

The media are milking this for all it's worth. It's a news bonanza. Leaving terms like "airborne" ambiguous and not explaining the masks, hoods, and spraying of fomites with a contact only disease leaves the public confused, fearful and eager for the next news update.

There's are fundamental neurological traits common to conservatives that contribute to their seeing the world as dangerous and threatening. The right wing may be innately paranoid.

The medical community has contributed, as well. Space suits and environmental decontamination are not compatible with direct contact only transmission. The words and images are irreconcilable.

It is scary here in the Dallas area. It is supposed to be even closer to me in Flower Mound, but I have not heard anything since last Wednesday when I was in Sanger, Texas and a firefighter notified me it was a case in Flower Mound, Texas. My complaint had been with the Denton, Texas Presbyterian Hospital as being incompetent facility which cost me personally $1000 and almost killed my wife wife two years ago giving her a pneumonia shot when she had pneumonia. Texas talks tough, but the incompetent personnel are here.

I don't see much "ebola hystaria".

But I'm tired of the ebola hystaria hysteria.

I don't see much "ebola hystaria".

But I'm tired of the ebola hystaria hysteria.
Where do you live?

Dude, they closed a school in Solon, Ohio because a faculty member flew on the same plane as that nurse. But not at the same time, just on the same plane. So instead of just being radically overprotective and requiring them to stay at home, they closed the entire school! :rolleyes:

Idiots like George Will and Ted Cruz are saying the media and Obama Admin are lying about Ebola and that the threat is huge.

I have friends that are really afraid. Fucking microbiologists that should know better.

Last edited:
Where do you live?

Dallas.

I really don't see much of anyone too worried about it. Just joking water cooler conversation.

The media talks about it a lot, but that does not a hysteria make.

There you go playing the Dallas card. Not a good idea in my opinion.

My thoughts are that people in Dallas are so into 'free' enterprise that officials changed procedures because head gear that covered the throat cost 20 times what a cap and mask cost and working in teams doubled costs.

Dallas.

I really don't see much of anyone too worried about it. Just joking water cooler conversation.

The media talks about it a lot, but that does not a hysteria make.

My thoughts are that people in Dallas are so into 'free' enterprise that officials changed procedures because head gear that covered the throat cost 20 times what a cap and mask cost and working in teams doubled costs.

Um, OK. If you say so.

Um, OK. If you say so.

For posts that just seem like totally random, out from left field statements a simple "wat" will suffice.

Just trying to help save you some time buddy. :hug:

attachment.php

Isn't it time that Obama did something about this threat? Eradicate Kardshians NOW!

The medical community has contributed, as well. Space suits and environmental decontamination are not compatible with direct contact only transmission. .
Though I don't think we can rule out airborne transmission yet.
From Pigs to Monkeys, Ebola Goes Airborne..

The order of magnitude of infections in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea - in the thousands, rather than the hundreds of thousands or millions - says we can.

Your link says as much too:
[The experiments] "...fall short of establishing that this is a normal route of transmission in the natural environment.” Furthermore, because human Ebola outbreaks have historically been locally contained, it is unlikely that Ebola can spread between humans via airborne transmission.

RNA, given the rate of mutation, practically each new infection is a new strain of Ebola. So it's possible, even though the probability may be fairly remote, that it could become more infectious. It needs to be contained as quickly as possible, but developed nations have been dragging their feet.

RNA, given the rate of mutation, practically each new infection is a new strain of Ebola. So it's possible, even though the probability may be fairly remote, that it could become more infectious. It needs to be contained as quickly as possible, but developed nations have been dragging their feet.
It can become more infectious or less infectious or just as infectious.

Back
Top Bottom