• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

The obvious point is what happens with an unchecked disease. The risk of large scale infection is real.

Estimates of efficacy vary but we get flu shots every year with updated vaccines. There is no protection against something new other than containment.

So far this year, a lot more Americans have died from influenza. Only 800 people worldwide died from SARS, so while it's true that we're all gonna die eventually, I think most of us will still be around for awhile.

SARS had about a 15% fatality rate. Had the world not stomped on it SARS would have been a major killer. We don't know the fatality rate for Wuhan-Corona isn't known yet but it's obviously appreciable. Wuhan-Corona seems to be capable of airborne transmission, we have no idea what it's R0 is.

25 dead
>800 infected

800 reported/known infections. There are no doubt thousands.

Look on the bright side. With billions and billions and billions and billions of humans we could stand to cull the herd for our own good.

..... throwing coins into jet engines kind of superstitious shit.

Blimey. This I had not heard about until now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50979485

"Mr Lu argued in court that the airline should have warned passengers not to throw coins at planes".
article said:
It's not the first time superstitious passengers have been caught throwing coins at plane engines.
:eek:

How in the heck is throwing anything at an engine of an airplane considered a superstition for GOOD luck?!

They throw them INTO THE ENGINES of the planes they are boarding. To bring good luck! :confused:
Scientific illiteracy knows no bounds.

This may also be why a second confirmed case has been found in the U.S., a person returning from Wuhan. Imagine that!

So far this year, a lot more Americans have died from influenza. Only 800 people worldwide died from SARS, so while it's true that we're all gonna die eventually, I think most of us will still be around for awhile.

SARS had about a 15% fatality rate. Had the world not stomped on it SARS would have been a major killer. We don't know the fatality rate for Wuhan-Corona isn't known yet but it's obviously appreciable. Wuhan-Corona seems to be capable of airborne transmission, we have no idea what it's R0 is.

True, but not everyone dies from this virus and we really don't know enough about it yet to panic. I think you took my previous post much too seriously.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

True, but not everyone dies from this virus and we really don't know enough about it yet to panic.
Huh? Since when was it ever a good time to panic once you knew what is going on?!

Ignorance breeds perfect panicking! It truly has never been a better time to panic. This could be the deadliest, most easy to spread disease since K-Pop!

I would be shocked if China is reporting cases as being Wuhan-Cov unless it's actually been confirmed that that's what they have. Data points from the field will include a lot more people that haven't been tested yet, some of whom in the end will turn out not to have it. I doubt the numbers will ever catch up to reality, though--what incentive does China have to test the already dead?

That being said, Wuhan and some nearby suburbs are under quarantine and from an admittedly limited view they seem to be canceling New Years celebrations and encouraging everyone to stay home for the holiday.

article said:
It's not the first time superstitious passengers have been caught throwing coins at plane engines.
:eek:

How in the heck is throwing anything at an engine of an airplane considered a superstition for GOOD luck?!

I suspect it has nothing to do with the engines, it was just that's what he happened to hit. If coins were thrown at another part of the airplane it would be unlikely to be an issue--I rather suspect they do a bit of a FOD walkdown any time passengers are on the tarmac.

True, but not everyone dies from this virus and we really don't know enough about it yet to panic. I think you took my previous post much too seriously.

It's just this looks much worse than SARS, I could easily see it killing more than the flu.

The virus seems to have made it's jump late last year and somehow almost immediately identified as being new. When I learned about the level 4 lab there I was wondering about the possibility it was a lab accident (from a study culture, I don't think China is insane enough to try to weaponize a coronavirus) but the very rapid identification of it as being new makes me wonder a lot more about this possibility. (The data on it's age only says how long ago it was only one particle, what caused that bottleneck is not identified.)

Back
Top Bottom