• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Could a President Trump be impeached and convicted just for being a jackass and not a specific crime?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Can impeachments be basically recall elections done by congress?

Could an impeachment that was politically motivated, not based on criminality or a specific overstepping of power, be legally overturned?

I don't think impeachment & removal can be overturned by the courts. I don't think it's a good idea to impeach a President for being a jackass. I think it could ultimately set a precedent that undermines the office long term.

Could an impeachment that was politically motivated, not based on criminality or a specific overstepping of power, be legally overturned?

I don't think that will be necessary. If we wind up with a Pres. Trump, can high crimes and misdemeanors be far behind?

I think if he does dumb stuff with NATO, a bipartisan impeachment could happen. I think the NATO stuff is Trump bluster though.

I don't think that will be necessary. If we wind up with a Pres. Trump, can high crimes and misdemeanors be far behind?

This. It's completely up to Congress to determine what is actually an impeachable offense, so as long as they can name something specific there would be no issue.

High crimes doesn't mean "major crimes" or anything like that. A high crime is distinguished from other crimes in being something that only applies to a government official, basically any sort of official misconduct. This was actually an issue that was brought up during the impeachment of Bill Clinton. He was impeached for perjury, certainly a serious crime. But was it a "high crime"? An argument can be made that it was not, since the perjury was related to a personal matter, not his official duties as President. Thus it might be criminal, but not appropriate for impeachment (I'm not sure I agree with that, but it was an argument being made at the time).

In any case, as a practical matter a "high crime or misdemeanor" is whatever Congress decides to impeach an official for. The Supreme Court decided long ago that they did not have the power of judicial review over impeachments, so someone who has been impeached and convicted has no legal recourse.

The most likely would be flagrant abuse of power for his own ends. Does anyone believe that if Trump is elected, he won't use his power to serve his own interests and punish his own enemies?

The most likely would be flagrant abuse of power for his own ends. Does anyone believe that if Trump is elected, he won't use his power to serve his own interests and punish his own enemies?
Ooh. So maybe if he doesn't put his personal finances in a blind trust during the transition period, they can impeach him immediately following the inauguration?

I doubt it. People putting their stuff in a blind trust is a custom, not a law. Trump doesn't care much for customs. They'd have to wait until he uses his office to benefit himself. Like for example, staying at his own hotels when he travels through the states, and billing it to the government. (like he has with his campaign)

Let's take the Neighborhood Trolley to the Land of Make Believe, where Donald Trump has been elected President.

It's entirely possible that Donald Trump will be caught doing something illegal, such as insider trading, based on security briefings, but it's just as likely he will resign after he discovers what a strait jacket the office actually is.

Let's take the Neighborhood Trolley to the Land of Make Believe, where Donald Trump has been elected President.

It's entirely possible that Donald Trump will be caught doing something illegal, such as insider trading, based on security briefings, but it's just as likely he will resign after he discovers what a strait jacket the office actually is.

That he will do a Palin? A ½ term president.

He'll just assign responsibility for foreign and domestic policy to Pence, as he allegedly offered to do with Kasich. Then he can focus on "making America great again", which should only take an hour or two per day.

Don't know. He'll probably be running off at the mouth, while Pence is running the country.

Back
Top Bottom