• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Updated with what Jimmy Higgins noted: a family tree of the artiodactyls, the even-toed ungulates:
  • Tylopoda - Camelidae: camel (has MERS), llama
  • Artiofabula
    • Pig
    • Cetruminantia
      • Cetancodontia
        • Hippopotamus
        • Cetacea: dolphins, porpoises, whales
      • Ruminantia
        • Bovidae
          • Bovinae: bovine, water buffalo
          • Caprinae: sheep, goat
        • Cervidae: white-tailed deer
        • Giraffe
        • (Antelopes)

Austria is suspending mandatory Covid-19 vaccines for all adults saying the pandemic no longer poses the same danger, just weeks after the law took effect. The Alpine nation of nine million people was one of the few countries in the world to make jabs against the coronavirus compulsory for all adults. The law took effect in February and called for fines up to 3,600 euros (£3,000) from mid-March for those who do not comply. 'After consultations with the health minister, we have decided that we will of course follow what the (expert) commission has said,' Edtstadler told reporters after a Cabinet meeting. 'We see no need to actually implement this compulsory vaccination due to the (Omicron) variant that we are predominantly experiencing here.'

Daily Mail

I read recently that the New Zealand courts knocked down mandatory vaccination.

Interesting. UK, Netherlands, Switzerland are showing notable increases, Germany is not seeing the Omicron plummet. Russia's decline is slowing too. Portugal and France are showing hints of increases.

At this point, I don't know how much reliance I would put on reported numbers from Russia or Belarus as they have other things in their focus right now. Honestly, I haven't really trusted the numbers from a lot of the Sino/Soviet bloc countries all along as they have historically been less than honest in their reporting of any bad news.

Ruth

Austria is suspending mandatory Covid-19 vaccines for all adults saying the pandemic no longer poses the same danger, just weeks after the law took effect. The Alpine nation of nine million people was one of the few countries in the world to make jabs against the coronavirus compulsory for all adults. The law took effect in February and called for fines up to 3,600 euros (£3,000) from mid-March for those who do not comply. 'After consultations with the health minister, we have decided that we will of course follow what the (expert) commission has said,' Edtstadler told reporters after a Cabinet meeting. 'We see no need to actually implement this compulsory vaccination due to the (Omicron) variant that we are predominantly experiencing here.'

Daily Mail

I read recently that the New Zealand courts knocked down mandatory vaccination.
The law will be “put on hold”, the minister together with Austria’s new Health Minister Johannes Rauch (Greens) announced.

Though the rules do not apply, they want the flexibility to be able to react to any situation and the provisions could be reactivated if deemed necessary, the ministers said.

Interesting. UK, Netherlands, Switzerland are showing notable increases, Germany is not seeing the Omicron plummet. Russia's decline is slowing too. Portugal and France are showing hints of increases.

Looking at UK.

Screenshot_20220310-001836_Chrome.jpg

They ended their covid restrictions on February 24. Hospitalizations look similar.

Australia went all stupid and did what TSwizzle and Metaphor were begging for, and went from 300k cases in December to currently 5.5 million cases today. The TSwizzles and Metaphors were all about opening the flood gates while the river was above flood stage, and success and freedom. Thankfully, Omicron isn't as deadly, so the Aussies were exposed to a lesser form of the virus (so less than 6000 deaths) than Delta which seemed just as good to expose people to according to our Pro-Covid posters.

Which goes to show that even if someone gets it right, there will be others demanding improvement (read failure).

I have had two doses of Pfizer vaccine and I know that my medical record is at least in the Washington state database that I have access to. I don't know if it is in a federal database somewhere. Most people are staying in their own state right now, so this can not be a big skew in the data.

When a person dies recently, how is the death record tied in with the state vaccination record at least?
What about a hospital stay, does the hospital have permission to see my vaccination record by default or do I need to give it?
What are the legal issues regarding this?
If the record has not been examined, can the classification of "unvaccinated" for the hospitalization or death be applied?

Regarding Pfizer vaccines, I trust the information out of Israel more than the U.S.

Vaccination is a documentable action, but not getting vaccinated is not documentable.

I have had two doses of Pfizer vaccine and I know that my medical record is at least in the Washington state database that I have access to. I don't know if it is in a federal database somewhere. Most people are staying in their own state right now, so this can not be a big skew in the data.

When a person dies recently, how is the death record tied in with the state vaccination record at least?
What about a hospital stay, does the hospital have permission to see my vaccination record by default or do I need to give it?
If the record has not been examined, can the classification of "unvaccinated" for the hospitalization or death be applied?

Regarding Pfizer vaccines, I trust the information out of Israel more than the U.S.

Vaccination is a documentable action, but not getting vaccinated is not documentable.

AFIAK the data isn't being collected. The QOP certainly wouldn't like it.

Australia went all stupid and did what TSwizzle and Metaphor were begging for, and went from 300k cases in December to currently 5.5 million cases today. The TSwizzles and Metaphors were all about opening the flood gates while the river was above flood stage, and success and freedom. Thankfully, Omicron isn't as deadly, so the Aussies were exposed to a lesser form of the virus (so less than 6000 deaths) than Delta which seemed just as good to expose people to according to our Pro-Covid posters.

Which goes to show that even if someone gets it right, there will be others demanding improvement (read failure).
I don't know how much wrongness you can pack into a single post, but you've certainly given it your all.

That page shows 245,000 currently active cases and 3.25m cases ever, not "5.5 million cases today", which would be 1/5 of the population of Australia.

I don't know where and when you think I advocated "opening the flood gates while the river was above flood stage", but it's about as true as calling me 'Pro-Covid', which I'm sure you'll neither apologise for nor indeed think about ever again.

Australia consists of states and territories and each of them made separate decisions about how much and whether to "open up".

AFIAK the data isn't being collected. The QOP certainly wouldn't like it.

So, I was watching a debunking of excessive interpretations of a study abstract (more akin to a conference poster) of ivermectin and remdesivir. It was done through an interview of the researcher who was the author the study.

The point is that at the 14:21 of the interview he says "There is significant limitation for the ability to control for covid-19 vaccination. Basically, we were unable to do that, and that is something we wrote in the manuscript. So basically vaccination status was unaccounted for. Because Trinetix was unreliable for that, ... people get vaccination at gas stations here in Florida or at a church or whatever, pretty much anywhere that doesn't go on your EMR."

The point is that at the 14:21 of the interview he says "There is significant limitation for the ability to control for covid-19 vaccination. Basically, we were unable to do that, and that is something we wrote in the manuscript. So basically vaccination status was unaccounted for. Because Trinetix was unreliable for that, ... people get vaccination at gas stations here in Florida or at a church or whatever, pretty much anywhere that doesn't go on your EMR."

And why wouldn't it end up in your records?

I got my first two shots at our local convention center. So what? They still kept the records properly, I was able to download them. I had a lot more trouble with my wife's records, as usual they mangled her name and it took me several tries to before I guessed what they had done to her name.

After the warm encouragement from Hermit*:

Update, again all 7-day averages, and peaks refer to current wave (all time refers to highest of any wave).

Latest daily new cases worldwide have risen since 4 Mar update, but worldwide deaths, and US new cases and deaths continue to fall.

New cases: 

Latest worldwide     1.75m (daily - 16 Mar 2022)

Peak worldwide       3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

All time worldwide   3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

Latest US        31k (daily - 16 Mar 2022)

Peak US         807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

All time US     807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

Deaths:

Latest worldwide      5,511 (daily - 16 Mar 2022)

Peak worldwide       10,926 (daily - 10 Feb 2022)

All time worldwide   14,706 (daily - 26 Jan 2021)

Latest US     1,055 (daily - 16 Mar 2022)

Peak US       2,670 (daily - 1 Feb 2022)

All time US   3,347 (daily - 13 Jan 2021)

*The asterisked sentence is irony. Hermit was disparaging and negative about my COVID updates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom