• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

My boy's high school is 73% of the way to meeting/passing the January Covid cases and it's only halfway though May. At this rate they will exceed May. Despite this peak being lower than January so far in general, I'm convinced that because masks are not required and my son reports only about 10% of students and staff wearking masks, this is why the cases are so high.

The entire district is even higher when compared to January. It's almost 80% of January so far.

Of course a maskless Junior Prom didn't help.

Here is another one. Why are any of these drugs for covid or the effects of it being held in such a particular bureaucratic stranglehold?

Why are we allowing the FDA/NIH and similar agencies to limit or set an intimidating tone (enforced by hospital and insurance administrators) against sensible off label usage?

THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT IVERMECTIN YOU DUMBASSES!

These assholes at the FDA
I looked into the studies done on fluvoxamine with respect to covid and they didn't look very impressive. Then I looked into why the FDA didn't approve it and to my surprise, (because I'm not a medical expert) the reasons the FDA gave agreed with my interpretation of the fluvoxamine Covid studies. Fluvoxamine may be a mild anti-inflammatory but it doesn't seem to be affecting people suffering from Covid in a significant way, and it has plenty of side effects and potential adverse reactions.

By comparison, Paxlovid, a Pfizer antiviral, has been approved by the FDA, and reduces hospitalization and death among the High risk demographic by 89%. But people taking fluvoxamine were just as likely as people taking placebo to end up in the hospital. Branded Paxlovid is more expensive, but the generic, fluvoxamine, just hasn't been shown to work.

IMO, this isn't a bureaucratic conspiracy.

What is even funnier is this sense of paranoia exhibited by the right-wing, that the "lockdown" was done to fuck with them, not to save lives. The right-wing has skewed away from reality so gradually, they have no idea how absolutely ridiculous they sound, all the while fervently believing they are right.
I would wager that this describes the whole of the human condition through all of time. We started at "skewed beyond belief" and occasionally take jumps forward. Some people just don't step with the rest of us because they don't know how.
I don't think so. Sure, there were superstitions and probably speculations that attributed natural inconveniences to elite's greed. But the sort of insane partisan paranoia we see in U.S. today is mainly a 21st-century phenomenon.

Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine Peter Hotez said, "I don’t even call it misinformation or disinformation anymore. I call it anti-science aggression, to convince millions of Americans not to take a Covid vaccine. And at least 200,000 Americans between May 1 and the end of 2021 died needlessly from Covid because of it. And everyone’s afraid to talk about it because it’s very unpleasant to have to point out that these deaths occurred along such a strict partisan divide. Even the White House won’t talk about it in that way."
Mind-boggling that ignorance has become the major "value" of a major party.

The demented old broad isn’t even wearing a mask! :hysterical: Besides, masks are so last year. (And of course don’t actually work for “stopping the spread”)
"Stop the spread" is not a binary.
We'll need a cite for the implication that Trumpsuckers are capable of non-binary thinking.

By comparison, Paxlovid, a Pfizer antiviral, has been approved by the FDA, and reduces hospitalization and death among the High risk demographic by 89%. But people taking fluvoxamine were just as likely as people taking placebo to end up in the hospital. Branded Paxlovid is more expensive, but the generic, fluvoxamine, just hasn't been shown to work.

IMO, this isn't a bureaucratic conspiracy.

Please address my curiosity: The Trumpsucker conspiracy theorists think that the libtards and main-stream media are pushing wrong medicines with what purpose? Swizzle? - Can you explain it? Are Pelosi and the other libtards trading in Pfizer derivatives? Are they pushing for vaccinations as a means to inject the sheeple with Bill Gates' nanobots? Are Biden's Islamo-fasicst stormtroopers organizing forced marches to the death camps with the masks a "passover" signal?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

IIRC some U.S. restaurants have experimented with a no-tip policy (and higher wages for servers obviously) and found that service and satisfactions did not suffer.

Tipping is almost unheard of in Thailand, unless you're in the sort of place where an attractive girl refills your whiskey glass whenever it drops to half-full! But tips are accepted cheerfully ... except for the time I thought the assistant manager who carried my bags was a bellboy. :-(

And masks are worn almost universally here without complaint, despite that explicit enforcement is lax. Most motorcycle riders even have masks on. Masks are removed to eat or drink, or at home. But even at home, someone exposed (but still testing negative) is likely to wear a mask hoping to protect family members.

If you think Thais are "sheeple," then you are unfamiliar with Thai culture! The real sheeple are the Trumpsuckers Jordan Klepper interviews: "We don't wear masks like you sheeple do." Are masks bad for you? "I don't know. But 'we' don't wear them." What would change your mind? "When 'we' start wearing masks, I'll wear one." So you're an independent thinker, unlike the liberal sheeple? "That's right!"

Why are we allowing the FDA/NIH and similar agencies to limit or set an intimidating tone (enforced by hospital and insurance administrators) against sensible off label usage?
WHY??
Probably because we have charismatic ignorant assholes recommending drinking Clorox and shoving UV lights up your butt.
Under those conditions “better safe than sorry” applies not only to the public they are charged to protect, but their own jobs as well.

Mind-boggling that ignorance has become the major "value" of a major party.
Au contraire.
Invincible ignorance is a key feature of evangelical religiosity and anti-science stupidity. It is famously effective, so it is no wonder that the Trump Death Cult would adopt and cultivate it to keep their sheep in line.

Just heard anti-vaxer, covid denier, 77 yo Eric Clapton is very sick with covid.

Here is another one. Why are any of these drugs for covid or the effects of it being held in such a particular bureaucratic stranglehold?

THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT IVERMECTIN YOU DUMBASSES!

What are you complaining about here?

You realize blood thinners come with substantial risks?

Melatonin is partially regulated from signal from the melanopsin receptors in the periphery of the retina that are impacted from blue and green light only - UV won't get in - too busy making cataracts...

The melanopsin receptors send signals to the circadian rhythm center, etc...

Darn it, a coworker has tested positive for covid again.
Darn it.
When this all first started our POTUS was more concerned about his image going into the election than the health and economy of the American people.

Oh well, que sera, sera.
Tom

On a social science thread on media Walter Winchell came to mind. I knew who he was growing up.

From the link it turns out he may have been the first TV-radio anti-vaccer. A fore runner of what we see in media today.

He told his audience polio vaccines would kill their kids. He also challenged claims of a cancer-tobacco link.

There is nothing in poltics and mews media that has not been seen in one form or another before. The difference is with real time globl communications claims are openly challenged and refuted.

In his radio and television broadcasts on April 4, 1954, Winchell helped to stoke public fear of the polio vaccine. Winchell said, "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America ... and all the ships at sea. Attention everyone. In a few moments I will report on a new polio vaccine claimed to be a polio cure. It may be a killer." Winchell claimed that the U.S. Public Health Services found live polio viruses in seven of ten vaccine batches it tested, reporting, "It killed several monkeys ... the United States Public Health Service will confirm this in about 10 days." Dr. Jonas Salk, developer of the polio vaccine, immediately responded that the vaccine, which had been recently tested on 7,500 school children at the University of Pittsburgh, had been triple tested for the absence of live virus by its manufacturers, the National Institutes of Health, and in his own research lab, and that similar testing would continue to screen out future batches containing live virus.[27]

On a social science thread on media Walter Winchell came to mind. I knew who he was growing up.

From the link it turns out he may have been the first TV-radio anti-vaccer. A fore runner of what we see in media today.

He told his audience polio vaccines would kill their kids. He also challenged claims of a cancer-tobacco link.

There is nothing in poltics and mews media that has not been seen in one form or another before. The difference is with real time globl communications claims are openly challenged and refuted.

In his radio and television broadcasts on April 4, 1954, Winchell helped to stoke public fear of the polio vaccine. Winchell said, "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America ... and all the ships at sea. Attention everyone. In a few moments I will report on a new polio vaccine claimed to be a polio cure. It may be a killer." Winchell claimed that the U.S. Public Health Services found live polio viruses in seven of ten vaccine batches it tested, reporting, "It killed several monkeys ... the United States Public Health Service will confirm this in about 10 days." Dr. Jonas Salk, developer of the polio vaccine, immediately responded that the vaccine, which had been recently tested on 7,500 school children at the University of Pittsburgh, had been triple tested for the absence of live virus by its manufacturers, the National Institutes of Health, and in his own research lab, and that similar testing would continue to screen out future batches containing live virus.[27]
Odd, I thought he looked like Stanley Tucci.

Melatonin is partially regulated from signal from the melanopsin receptors in the periphery of the retina that are impacted from blue and green light only - UV won't get in - too busy making cataracts...

The melanopsin receptors send signals to the circadian rhythm center, etc...
I think his point was the term should have been melanin. UV without melanin leads to sunburn.

Patti LuPone goes full on Karen and scolds an audience member for not wearing their mask properly, telling them to “get the fuck out!!”

The demented old broad isn’t even wearing a mask! :hysterical: Besides, masks are so last year. (And of course don’t actually work for “stopping the spread”)

Love it, even bought a commemorative t-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom