• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

I have to wear a mask at Playhouse Square not because of state or municipal regs, but because tens of millions of idiots didn't get vaccinated which has prolonged this pandemic. That you are upset at municipalities for the ridiculous stupidity of Americans that refuse to help solve the problem is just a sign of how bitter you are politically.
That you go along with the charade is just a sign of how willfully ignorant you really are. These mandates are not about concern for people's health or science. It's about power drunk autocrats exerting their neuroses over ordinary people and virtue signaling wankers wagging their fingers in disapproval at the out group.
Yeah, that is nothing short of paranoia, mixed with flavor of the day right-wing buzzwords.

The idea of not wearing a mask as some sort of righteous maneuver of freedom, that in not wearing the mask, you are protecting yourself from tyranny has got to be way up there in the clouds of delusion.

WWII Vet: I stormed the beaches of Normandy.
TSwizzle: I refused to wear a mask.
WWII Vet: You do realize my age group are the ones at greatest risk.
TSwizzle: Fuck you, you freedom hating, virtue signaling wanker!

The idea of not wearing a mask as some sort of righteous maneuver of freedom, that in not wearing the mask, you are protecting yourself from tyranny has got to be way up there in the clouds of delusion.

I don't wear a mask because it does heehaw to "stop the spread". You know this and yet you (and others) persist with this line of response.

I don't wear a mask because it does heehaw to "stop the spread". You know this and yet you (and others) persist with this line of response.
It reduces the potential of spread form someone positive and wearing a mask. Masks aren't the best, distance is. Masks are the imperfect compromise.

We saw large scale representation of this as large regional George Floyd protests that had most people masked, did not lead to upticks in new cases regionally, while Florida and the south picked up in new cases with their fuck science pandemic plan.

I got a Moderna booster on Friday, and it felt just like the J&J one I got earlier. For me they were both like having covid except without the coughing and congestion, plus arm pain. Started to feel sick Friday night, was down for the count most of Saturday, then perfectly fine on Sunday, like Jesus. ✝️
My moderna booster was a nothing-burger. Got a little queezy the next afternoon but that only lasted a couple hours. I expected worse.

I do not know this.

It's a low tech method of slowing the spread. Combining it with other low tech methods, like distancing and sanitizer, are much more effective.
Much more convenient and effective is getting vaccinated. If everyone who could had done so months ago, we'd be past this inconvenient crap. We wouldn't need masking and such, if we reached a reasonable level of herd immunity.

But we aren't at that level of protection, because so many people refuse to get vaccinated. That's the bottom line. Our freedoms are in danger because so many plague rats believe that their assessment of vaccines are better than Fauci and the CDC assessments.
Tom

*sigh* Drunk on power, the nutters in LA County roll out even more stupid mandates;

Los Angeles will expand the nation's already strictest vaccine mandates as the city add several midsize venues to its list of places that require proof of vaccination to enter. Beginning Monday, the city will launch SafePassLA, expanding the vaccine mandate to include indoor and outdoor venues that have between 5,000 to 9,999 attendees. Officials will begin enforcement at the impacted places, such as museums and concert halls and convention centers, beginning November 29 to give required locations time to adjust.
'We've spent too much time placing restrictions on people who did their part by getting vaccinated and wearing their masks,' Council President Nury Martinez said during the City Council's process approving the ordinance. 'We need to both limit the transmission of the virus as well as make it inconvenient for those who are unvaccinated to access indoor venues and put lives at jeopardy. The stakes are too high.' In LA county of roughly 10 million people, 72 percent of those 12-years-old and up are fully vaccinated, according to public health officials. LA Mayor Eric Garcetti, who tested positive for the coronavirus last week while attending the United Nations climate change conference, hopes the mandate will increase the vaccination rate and make businesses safer for employees and customers.

DailyMail

From "two weeks to flatten the curve" to "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS, SWINE!!".

Fuck them, I will not comply.

You still haven't addressed the comparison to drunk driving. Never mind that Covid is far more deadly.

It does heehaw to stop the spread when you wear a chin diaper.

If the mandate were N95/KN95/KF94 or $1k fine on the spot (as in you pay up or they haul you off to jail) Covid would long since be in the history books. It's the death cultists that mean you still need masks.

Around 1,000 people showed up at city hall Los Angeles to protest LA County vaccine mandate.

Hundreds of people gathered in downtown Los Angeles' Grand Park on Monday morning to protest against COVID-19 vaccination mandates enacted by the city and other government entities.
The demonstration, dubbed the March for Freedom rally, was being held on the same day that the city's proof of full COVID-19 vaccination mandate, one of the strictest in the U.S., went into effect.
ABC

Around 1,000 people showed up at city hall Los Angeles to protest LA County vaccine mandate.

Hundreds of people gathered in downtown Los Angeles' Grand Park on Monday morning to protest against COVID-19 vaccination mandates enacted by the city and other government entities.
The demonstration, dubbed the March for Freedom rally, was being held on the same day that the city's proof of full COVID-19 vaccination mandate, one of the strictest in the U.S., went into effect.
ABC
1000 idiots.

It does heehaw to stop the spread when you wear a chin diaper.

If the mandate were N95/KN95/KF94 or $1k fine on the spot (as in you pay up or they haul you off to jail) Covid would long since be in the history books. It's the death cultists that mean you still need masks.
Looks like 2 weeks of everybody actually following recommendations is enough to get rid of this pandemic completely.

And protests in New Zealand;

New Zealand beefed up security measures at its parliament on Tuesday as thousands of people gathered to protest against COVID-19 vaccine mandates and government lockdowns. All but two entrances to the parliament building, known as the Beehive, were closed off in the presence of unprecedented levels of police and security personnel, as mostly unmasked protesters marched through central Wellington and congregated outside parliament.
Reuters

People have had enough.

I got a Moderna booster on Friday, and it felt just like the J&J one I got earlier. For me they were both like having covid except without the coughing and congestion, plus arm pain. Started to feel sick Friday night, was down for the count most of Saturday, then perfectly fine on Sunday, like Jesus. ✝️
My moderna booster was a nothing-burger. Got a little queezy the next afternoon but that only lasted a couple hours. I expected worse.

Yes, there is a broad range of reactions, and the intensity has no bearing on the protection produced, so shouldn't be concerned on that basis either way.

There was one difference between J&J and Moderna for me - the J&J gave me arm pain for over a week, while with the Moderna it was fine within 3 days.

ABC
1000 idiots.
Fewer than 0.01% of the LA County population.

I would have expected more idiots than that. But perhaps I base that expectation on a particularly idiot-rich sample of residents.

New Zealand beefed up security measures at its parliament on Tuesday as thousands of people gathered to protest against COVID-19 vaccine mandates and government lockdowns. All but two entrances to the parliament building, known as the Beehive, were closed off in the presence of unprecedented levels of police and security personnel, as mostly unmasked protesters marched through central Wellington and congregated outside parliament.
Reuters

People have had enough.
NZ was Covid free and unrestricted (apart from a ban on non-essential international travel) until a couple of months ago. The kiwis haven't had time to have "had enough"; What they've had is American Trump following dickheads swamping their newsfeeds with horseshit, leading to tiny but vocal demonstrations that those same American Trump following dickheads are now blowing out of all proportion in support of their specious claims that people other than dickheads are opposed to public health measures.

Reuters

People Idiots have had enough.
FTFY

Los Angeles Times reports that thousands of people showed up outside LA City Hall to protest vaccine mandates;

Thousands of people gathered outside Los Angeles City Hall to protest COVID-19 vaccination mandates on Monday — the day the city began enforcing some of the nation’s strictest vaccination verification rules for businesses.

LA Times

These restrictions are completely without merit.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...eyes, a risk that masking does not eliminate.

How many times do we have to post links that demonstrate the effectiveness of masks in lowering the spread of a virus!

There are several strands of evidence supporting the efficacy of masks.

One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols.

But the strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. “The most important thing are the epidemiologic data,” said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called “experiments of nature.”

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Masks aren't perfect, but there is plenty of evidence to support that they slow down the spread of infectious diseases. We used to have to wear them when I worked in a hospital many decades ago, if we had someone in isolation due to an infectious disease. As long as the mask is clean and it covers the nose and mouth, it's helpful. Only a fool or a person who lacks empathy, refuses to help slow a potentially dangerous infection from spreading in one's community.

Now, what's going on in Colorado? It's experiencing a high surge of COVID despite having a vaccine rate of over 80%. Is it that people need boosters or is it mostly the unvaccinated who are getting COVID? Does anyone know? I've read contradictory information. We know that the vaccine's effectiveness lasts for about 6-8 months. I've had my booster over a month ago. I haven't found any info in regards to the percentage of people who are fully vaccinated along with receiving a booster. Plus, I think the vaccine rate includes those who have only had one injection. We know that's not very effective. Maybe that's the problem.

How many times do we have to post links that demonstrate the effectiveness of masks in lowering the spread of a virus!

Just ONCE would suffice. But after nearly two years you still cannot provide one.

There are several strands of evidence supporting the efficacy of masks.

One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols.

But the strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. “The most important thing are the epidemiologic data,” said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called “experiments of nature.”

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

"strands of evidence" !! Laughable.

The real world indicates wearing a mask does nothing to stop the spread of the virus. It really is akin to wearing an amulet.

Back
Top Bottom