• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

20% daily jump in Russia. Looks like omicron to me.

What is your read on that?
Did cases jump 20% in a day or just the reporting?
Does the gov say it’s not omicron?
Well, I am not God, all I have is reporting. And it jumped 20%.
Reporting in Russia is very smooth, no weekends drops and following jumps. In fact they are clearly smoothing it beyond that. Don't know why are they doing it but they are. So now 20% jump in one day.

That totally sucks. Hope it’s a reporting anomaly. We’ll see if it is a blip or a trend.
Sooner or later that was going to happen.

The one day reporting anomaly, or the possible underlying trend?
Omicron is spreading everywhere. Once it gets in, that's it. Russia fell from their Delta Wave finally, and now are joining up (as well as Eastern Europe) with Western Europe.

Paul Offitt is saying at this time it is not worth it for his son in his 20's to be boosted.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/01/should-teens-get-booster-omicron/621222/
Not worth it? Is there a downside to the booster?
Yes, the side effects, which vary from person to person but tend to be annoying though not serious. The expected negative effects can be compared with the expected increase in negative effects when one is infected after getting a booster shot compared to having just two doses, which also tend to be annoying but not serious for Omicron and people in their 20's.

Are fatalities increasing much more slowly? Over here, with Omicron infections have increased more than fatalities - several times over.
fatalities are delayed and spread over. Omicron infection spikes are pretty much vertical. I would not be too much surprised if it doubles tomorrow

Good news I finally solved rubber band breakage in N95 mask. I can reuse all these masks I saved over 2 years. They are still fine I think.

Are fatalities increasing much more slowly? Over here, with Omicron infections have increased more than fatalities - several times over.
fatalities are delayed and spread over. Omicron infection spikes are pretty much vertical. I would not be too much surprised if tomorrow it doubles.
True, they are delayed. But

1. If one considers the increase in fatalities in say a month or so, the pattern remains the same (several times greater increase in infections).
2. Other variants did not show the same pattern, i,e., this sort of differences between increase in fatalities vs. infections.

So, maybe you can compare the two in a longer period? (unless there's been no similar increases in infections until very recently, in which case you'll have to wait to compare them I guess).

Then again, according to this, Omicron seems to be already dominant in Russia.

Angra Mainyu,
It's been only couple of days. And what's the point anyway? We know omicron is going to spread. And they test for it.

Supreme Court just struck down Biden’s large company mandate, but let the health care worker mandate stand.

Time to lift all restrictions and stop with the vaccination, mask mandates/passports etc;

Britain's Omicron wave continued to collapse today as Covid cases fell once again and NHS hospital admissions remained flat. Another 109,133 positive tests were logged across the UK over the past 24 hours, down 39 per cent on the tally a week ago. It is the eighth consecutive day that new infections have fallen week-on-week and the lowest daily total in more than a fortnight. Deaths — which are a lagging indicator of the outbreak— have been slowly creeping up in recent days, with 335 more victims registered today. It is unclear if reporting issues over the holidays are still at play but the seven-day average number of fatalities sits at 261 now, compared to 99 a fortnight ago.

Daily Mail

FHrEpGjXEAATq7k

Time to lift all restrictions and stop with the vaccination, mask mandates/passports etc;
Why? Because they're working?

The vaccines may aid somewhat, but everything else is crap.
The vaccines are providing more than a magnitude of improvement and prevention. So it isn't "may". They are. How the hell did partisanship become so warped, that people like you are making these ridiculous arguments?

Back
Top Bottom