• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

How many people who’ve had the Polio vaccine got Polio?

And how regularly did one get vaccinated against Polio? I believe I have had one Polio vaccination in my life. I've had three covid vaccinations in less than 12 months. And I still got the effing covid.

Was in Florida recently, and the freedom was wonderful. The Branch Covidians hate that.

Did you come across AOC?

Meanwhile, in just how well things are going, several states have the National Guard in hospitals, because there aren't enough people to handle the cases of Covid-19. Ohio, Oregon, New Hampshire, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Minnesota, California, etc...

19 states have fewer than 15% of their ICUs available.

This will wind down in short time, but again, we've got a lot of people out there telling companies their employees in the National Guard can't do their job, that the hospital workers have to just suck it up some more, because they just don't have a clue.

I thought president Biden was going to shut this virus down?

Let's Go Brandon !!
Actually, the accusation was the Democrats were going to stop caring about it.

And how regularly did one get vaccinated against Polio? I believe I have had one Polio vaccination in my life. I've had three covid vaccinations in less than 12 months. And I still got the effing covid.
Well, if some Americans weren't assholes about vaccination and masking and distancing... but no, they needed to help breed variants.

Well, if some Americans weren't assholes about vaccination and masking and distancing... but no, they needed to help breed variants.

Like AOC?

Oh, so, there was also this that my husband linked me. Apparently cannabis is good for preventing Covid:

Angra Mainyu,
It's been only couple of days. And what's the point anyway? We know omicron is going to spread. And they test for it.
I got the impression you were trying to figure out what it was (but now seems it's already dominant in Russia, so it's Omicron).

The vaccinated are less likely to get it, just not significantly less likely anymore.

LOL. Eleven out of eleven people at my house on Christmas day got the covid. Every single person had been double dosed, some had gotten a booster including myself about a week before Christmas. So on that evidence, I personally will not be participating in vaccination any further and will rail against all mandates.

This is not about public health.
First, that is very weak evidence. There are millions of cases to consider, and that gives one much better evidence.
Second, how many of them got seriously sick?
Third, a week is probably too soon for the booster to be effective.. You should have gotten the booster one week earlier to make it work.

There's a grain of truth in what Swiz is saying. Vaccinations are good, and even 99.99 percent of antivaxers would get vaxed for a major illness. But would you keep getting vaxed against the common cold or flu? I get a flu shot because it makes sense. I'm vaccinated against tetanus and shingles and a bunch of other things, and I suppose I'd get shots twice annually because those things are the pits.

But I just got over omicron myself. It sucked but it was just like a summer cold. I guess if I wore a mask while I was ill it would help keep others from getting ill but I just stayed at home, and recovered. The point is that Omicron is not as deadly and that's a good thing so I feel less threatened than I did a year ago.

I'm not saying to not get the shots, I'm talking about the masks.

The vaccinated are less likely to get it, just not significantly less likely anymore.

LOL. Eleven out of eleven people at my house on Christmas day got the covid. Every single person had been double dosed, some had gotten a booster including myself about a week before Christmas. So on that evidence, I personally will not be participating in vaccination any further and will rail against all mandates.

This is not about public health.
First, that is very weak evidence. There are millions of cases to consider, and that gives one much better evidence.
Third, a week is probably too soon for the booster to be effective.. You should have gotten the booster one week earlier to make it work.
yes.

It's just a fact, eleven out of eleven got covid and they were all vaccinated. I don't need to consider millions of cases, just the eleven in my circle is enough for me.

Nobody got really sick or required any medical attention. And there was a wide range of ages, youngest was 19, eldest was 78.

Maybe I should get a booster every month, week, day? Just to be safe, put a reminder in my phone every seven days or something?

The vaccine wasn't designed for omicron. It was designed for alpha. We got lucky in that it worked for delta too. I assume an omicron vax is already being developed.

TSwizzle said:
It's just a fact, eleven out of eleven got covid and they were all vaccinated. I don't need to consider millions of cases, just the eleven in my circle is enough for me.
Suppose you have 11/11, and then when you consider millions of cases, it turns out vaccination reduces infection by say 50% statistically. Then reckoning vaccines do not reduce infection is an epistemic error. The point is that the evidence from millions of cases swamps the 11 cases you considered.

TSwizzle said:
Nobody got really sick or required any medical attention.
Great! So, you could also reckon vaccines work, to go with your assessment based on 11 people (in reality, they do work, but the millions of cases against swamp the 11, so if you want to know how well they work, you should look at their numbers too).

TSwizzle said:
Maybe I should get a booster every month, week, day? Just to be safe, put a reminder in my phone every seven days or something?
The sarcasm here is out of place. The booster probably takes between one and two weeks to take effect, so it probably was too late. You could have found that out easily. And no, it's not that you would need one every seven days, that makes no sense. The booster didn't make it in time, but still now you probably got immunity for a few months because you got infected.

Suppose you have 11/11, and then when you consider millions of cases, it turns out vaccination reduces infection by say 50% statistically. Then reckoning vaccines do not reduce infection is an epistemic error. The point is that the evidence from millions of cases swamps the 11 cases you considered.

Dear oh dear. Look, I go by my experiences. 11 out of 11, that's 100%.

Great! So, you could also reckon vaccines work, to go with your assessment based on 11 people (in reality, they do work, but the millions of cases against swamp the 11, so if you want to know how well they work, you should look at their numbers too).

Do the vaccines really, really, really work? Well they are somewhat effective at keeping the symptoms mild for the first few months apparently. Then after a few months it starts to get a bit iffy. So now you need to get "vaccinated" once a week, once a month, once a quarter, who knows? There is no way to tell what the vaccine did (if anything) for me and the others in my circle. And now you tell me the booster did hee-haw.

The sarcasm here is out of place.

No it's not. Earlier I said I've been vaccinated against Polio once in my life (shingles too). I've had a covid "vaccine" three times in less than 12 months. That's not a vaccine, it's a quasi flu shot. Even then I only ever got the flu shot once a year!! I'm not going to start getting "vaccinated" willy nilly, you go right ahead if you like but I'm done.

Last edited:
TSwizzle said:

I think there is an additional error here. Having 11 people living together, not masking, not quarantining dramatically increases exposure incidents when 1 household member is sick. There is something apples to oranges about that environment versus a study. If each person in the household has 1000 exposures to the sick one in that environment, I am not sure we should incorporate those 11 into a larger set at all. Maybe?? ...we could say the vax protects you 50% when you have an average number of exposures over 6 months...but there's probably also a distribution of viral load there, too, correlated to the 50%. Home environment with no masking, no quarantining, sharing considerable air will hit some threshold viral load with multiple exposures.

TSwizzle said:
Nobody got really sick or required any medical attention.

This is true.

DR. OZ: He is the J. Edgar Hoover of public health. He's a petty tyrant that has had all kinds of interactions with the media and uses them as allies to shut down dissent and debate. It's shameful.

I'm calling Fauci out for a debate. I'm challenging. Just go head-to-head with me or anybody, frankly, on the merits of these arguments because it's indefensible. This is just gross incompetence. I mean borderline malpractice that we don't have solutions for Americans where their lives are being threatened. Older Americans were vulnerable by this virus, but the vast majority of people, of course, aren't, it's relatively benign. But older Americans are at risk if we cannot get them life-saving solutions that have been around for more than a year.

Full interview in the link.

TSwizzle said:
Dear oh dear. Look, I go by my experiences. 11 out of 11, that's 100%.
That is epistically incorrect, given the rest of the evidence available to you.

TSwizzle said:
Do the vaccines really, really, really work? Well they are somewhat effective at keeping the symptoms mild for the first few months apparently. Then after a few months it starts to get a bit iffy. So now you need to get "vaccinated" once a week, once a month, once a quarter, who knows? There is no way to tell what the vaccine did (if anything) for me and the others in my circle. And now you tell me the booster did hee-haw.
Well, you can take a look at the numbers. Vaccinated people are much less prone to serious illness and death, even without the boosters. But it is also true the boosters increase protection by a significant factor. Also, it's certain that once a week or month is no good. Once every four months is definitely an improvement over 6 since at 6 the effectiveness fell considerably, so definitely not as long as 6 months. I'm no expert, but I'd say with the current sort of vaccines, between 3 and 4 months would give a signficant improvement in immunity, which you ought to weigh against the side effects and other considerations.

TSwizzle said:
No it's not. Earlier I said I've been vaccinated against Polio once in my life (shingles too). I've had a covid "vaccine" three times in less than 12 months. That's not a vaccine, it's a quasi flu shot. Even then I only ever got the flu shot once a year!! I'm not going to start getting "vaccinated" willy nilly, you go right ahead if you like but I'm done.
The sarcasm is out of place because there is enough info to know that vaccines help considerably reduce the severity of illness. If you do not want to call them 'vaccines', regardless, call them 'things that you get via a shot, which generally have some annoying by minor side effects and reduce the chances of serious covid by a lot' or whatever (I think 'vaccine' is simpler, though, and it is a correct usage of the term in English).

It is true, though, that vaccines can be pretty annoying, so maybe 6 months would be good enough for you - after all, you already got covid before the booster could take effect, and didn't do much, so there is that.

Back
Top Bottom