• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

creationist question

• Thread starter Thread starter BH
  • Start date Start date

BH

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
Creationists criticize isotope dating and carbon 14 dating as unsound.

Have any of you ever found a creationist website that actually offered a supposed scientific way to measure the age of various rock and soil layers? Even if the Earth is just a few thousand years old, theoretically speaking, they the creationists could find a way to see what layers are exactly what age.

Or is it basically, we have nothing to offer but we will criticize as wrong anything that does not say what (insert holy book here) says about the age of the earth.

Or is it basically, we have nothing to offer but we will criticize as wrong anything that does not say what (insert holy book here) says about the age of the earth.

I'm pretty sure this is the tactic of most of them. Only a few are at least smart enough to have a decent critique of carbon-14 dating. From what I've seen and heard, most don't even stop to listen to those non-creationists who admit that C-14 dating is limited in scope and try explain to them such limitations, or explain other methods of determining the ages of fossils and rock layers.

Carbon 14 dating is not used to date soil and rock.

Carbon 14 dating is not synonymous with all forms of radiometric dating. It doesn't work if there is no carbon in the sample. If there is, the carbon needs to be from something formerly living, not from the sea and generally not more than 10 or so thousand years old.

The carbon in soil would come from multiple organic sources and so carbon 14 dating would be useless.

This video does a good job of explaining the limitations of carbon 14 dating and how hilariously wrong creationists are when it comes to radiometric dating:

This video does a good job of explaining the limitations of carbon 14 dating and how hilariously wrong creationists are when it comes to radiometric dating:

I fucking love potholer54's videos! They should be required viewing.

Have any of you ever found a creationist website that actually offered a supposed scientific way to measure the age of various rock and soil layers? Even if the Earth is just a few thousand years old, theoretically speaking, they the creationists could find a way to see what layers are exactly what age.

I think I can fully explain the creationist scientific model... only need two words...

"Nuh Uh".

I fucking love potholer54's videos! They should be required viewing.

Agreed. I just about died laughing at "There's no fucking carbon in it!"

- - - Updated - - -

I think I can fully explain the creationist scientific model... only need two words...

"Nuh Uh".

Correction: three words: "God did it."

Young Earth Creationists derive a timeline from the bible. An idea from the 1800s is that for the YEC believers god created the Earth complete with layers and buried fossils.

Young Earth Creationists derive a timeline from the bible. An idea from the 1800s is that for the YEC believers god created the Earth complete with layers and buried fossils.

Interesting. I did my final year teaching practice in a catholic school and, ironically, was given the topic of dinosaurs to teach. I asked the supervising teacher if I could really teach this and she said yes, that God created dinosaurs first, then man. She truely believed it. Apparently, dinosaurs were only around for a little while. When I asked her about the 7 days stuff, she said a day was longer then.

Dude, the global flood did that. It created clay varving, laminated and thick deposited sedimentary rock, interbedded shales and conglomerates that don't overlap, kame sand deposits, buried valleys carved into rock. The global flood explains everything... even how the speed of light slowed down, because the water was released from the firmament, so... science!

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. I did my final year teaching practice in a catholic school and, ironically, was given the topic of dinosaurs to teach. I asked the supervising teacher if I could really teach this and she said yes, that God created dinosaurs first, then man. She truely believed it. Apparently, dinosaurs were only around for a little while. When I asked her about the 7 days stuff, she said a day was longer then.
That doesn't sound very Catholic.

Yes, and they, like other present-day predators, were all vegetarians at first.

Day-age creationism pops up from time to time, but it is certainly not something the Catholic Church officially promotes.

Peez

Indeed, Tyranosaurus rex ate coconuts, if you believe some creationists.

Peez

It was one of previous two popes who said in the face of science evolution may be part of god's plan. At the tine I looked at major protestant sites, the drift seemed to be in the same direction.

The Vatican has always been an odd mix of pragmatic science and theology.

In the 60s my best science and math teachers were a priest and a nun.

Yup. The main issue for dinosaurs was the Great Flood.

Day One

Ham: So, Noah, how long will we be on this boat?
Noah: Well God said it'd rain 40 days and 40 nights, so, I'm think just a little longer than that.

Day Fifty

Ham: Umm... Noah, we are out of food. Are you certain he said 40 days?
Noah: Well it stopped raining 10 days ago, but to be honest God never really said how long we'd be on the boat. I kind of assumed the flood would come and go.
Ham: Come and go?
Noah: Well it isn't as if the water can drain somewhere! God has to remove the water. So why wouldn't he just get rid of it immediately. It isn't as if people can breath under water for days.
Ham: Well, what are we to do? We had 45 days of food and we are starving now.

Day Eighty
Noah Diary: Well, it is our 80th day on the ark. We've had to make some tough choices. Initially we had to start eating the animals because we didn't think we'd be on the ark this long. Thinking maybe God forgot about us. So we started with the clean animals because there were seven pair of them. But we tried to keep the animals small, because you know... the ship is only so big. So that isn't giving us much in the way of options. We had a long discussion as to whether walruses were clean or unclean.

Day One Hundred Twenty
Ham: Forty days huh? Well, we are down to the last pair of most of most of the animals.
Noah: What about the dinosaurs?
Ham: Do you want to try and get them to eat?

Day One Hundred Twenty-One
Noah Diary: Lost our son Bacon today. We had him try to get the dinosaurs out so we could trap and then cook them. Good news, the dinosaurs are fucking delicious!

Day Two Hundred Forty-Seven
Noah Diary: Running out of dinosaurs!

Day Three Hundred whatever
Noah: Ahh... nice to be on land again.
Ham: What do we tell God about the dinosaurs?
Noah: Meh... I'll just burn some stuff and he'll forget all about it.

One of the stragest claims I heard a Christian make is that Humans and dinos coexisted.

When I asked about the Ark he said they carried T-Rex eggs.

It is a loosing battle agaist ignorance. At best a holding action.

Back
Top Bottom