• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cultural appropriation mythicist angry that people have different tastes to her

Cultural appropriation mythicists

You need to come up with a better term, because this phrase does not convey what you seem to want it to. "Mythicist" is most associated with Jesus Mythicism which is the position that Jesus didn't exist. Your term implies you are referring to people who hold that cultural appropriation doesn't exist. You are detracting from and confusing any possible valid points you have.

Or is this a convoluted plot to troll Jesus Mythicists to one day write a screed against you for appropriating their word, so that your life will be complete?

How else do people that view cultural appropriation as a valid concept think that culture spreads? Do they really think that culture exists in a vacuum, and when two cultures are nearby each other, one of them entirely supplants another without any integration or influence? Seriously?

The issue is that cultural studies departments in academia have gone totally off the deep end. Young, well-meaning kids go to school and listen to their crap, and see everything through that lens. Ideas about cultural appropriation likely have a lot of merit when it comes to particular instance in history, like black-face minstrel shows in the US.

Here is a great example where the divide between young-and-old is apparant:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/20...no-fray-mfa/ZgVWiT3yIZSlQgxCghAOFM/story.html

The picture speaks volumes.
kimonowednesday_02.jpg

"It wouldn't be so bad w/o white institutions condoning erasure of the Japanese narrative + orientalism by which in turn supports dehumanisation + fetishisizing AAPI + it is killing us".

Catchy.

Ideas about cultural appropriation likely have a lot of merit when it comes to particular instance in history, like black-face minstrel shows in the US.
And yet, we have posts from you and others decrying the concept.

I'm decrying the conception of cultural appropriation as it exists right now. My point is, that it's an idea that had merit when describing certain things that happened in the unique context of black-white racial politics in America has been extended into a clear absurdity. This is no surprise, cultural studies departments, and humanities in general, have been on a long trajectory towards absurdity and faux-scholarship since the rise of post-structuralist theories.

Equivalently, I can say that I think Michel Foucault had some interesting ideas with merit - that is an opinion that I actually hold - and still decry what post-structuralism has become and how it has affected the academy.

Cultural appropriation mythicists

You need to come up with a better term, because this phrase does not convey what you seem to want it to. "Mythicist" is most associated with Jesus Mythicism which is the position that Jesus didn't exist. Your term implies you are referring to people who hold that cultural appropriation doesn't exist. You are detracting from and confusing any possible valid points you have.

Whatever term I use would need explanation anyway. I think I've used cultural appropriation true believers in the past, but that requires just as much explanation. I brand them mythicists because they believe the myth that 'cultural appropriation' is morally bad.

I'm happy to use a better term if there is agreement on what would constitute a better term.

Or is this a convoluted plot to troll Jesus Mythicists to one day write a screed against you for appropriating their word, so that your life will be complete?

Actually, to appropriate something specifically and only to hurt somebody's feelings would be wrong, but only because doing anything to specifically and only hurt somebody's feelings is wrong.

I've 'appropriated' the term oy vey from Yiddish and use it often. I don't do it to hurt anybody's feelings; I do it because I love the aesthetic qualities of the term, nobody alive invented it, and I have as much right to use it as anyone else does.

And yet, we have posts from you and others decrying the concept.

I'm decrying the conception of cultural appropriation as it exists right now. My point is, that it's an idea that had merit when describing certain things that happened in the unique context of black-white racial politics in America has been extended into a clear absurdity. This is no surprise, cultural studies departments, and humanities in general, have been on a long trajectory towards absurdity and faux-scholarship since the rise of post-structuralist theories.
The fact that some people misuse the concept (or extend it to "absurdity") is no reason to dismiss the concept. Doing so is the equivalent of foregoing the use of any tool because some people misuse it.

The fact that some people misuse the concept (or extend it to "absurdity") is no reason to dismiss the concept. Doing so is the equivalent of foregoing the use of any tool because some people misuse it.

Name an act of cultural appropriation that is undesirable solely because it is cultural appropriation.

My culture is the culture that steals from all other cultures.

It's called present day US culture.

We are all absorbing things from each other's culture of course. Perhaps American foreign policy may contain some own inventions (with British colonial flavours).

The US maybe didn't invent movies but it took them to another level.

And they are the main US cultural export.

Glorification of violence because it is easy and makes a good show and the apes get excited.

Name an act of cultural appropriation that is undesirable solely because it is cultural appropriation.
So now you are defending cultural appropriation. Make up your mind.

The cultural appropriation of the circumcision aesthetic. :innocent2:

We are all absorbing things from each other's culture of course. Perhaps American foreign policy may contain some own inventions (with British colonial flavours).

The US maybe didn't invent movies but it took them to another level.

And they are the main US cultural export.

Glorification of violence because it is easy and makes a good show and the apes get excited.

I'm sure some Rambo movies caused some hoots shrieks and jumping up and down.

Oh bullshit.

The U.S., being a nation of immigrants (traditionally) takes in certain elements of cultures and then naturally enough, those elements are incorporated into facets of the already existing culture. Here in SoCal, one can either go to Taco Bell or if they want, they can go to a truly authentic Mexican place and grab some lingua tacos. And then there's everything in between that. Nothing is "stolen," it's just absorbed and modified, but with the original usually still extant.

Answer my question.
Make sense or make up your mind first.

I've already explained myself a dozen times over. I call them mythicists because they falsely paint the actions they call 'cultural appropriation' as always negative.

I've already explained I object to the word 'appropriation', and I've already explained that even if I accept calling the actions they describe as 'cultural appropriation', then cultural appropriation is not wrong in and of itself.

Now, you answer:

Name one act of cultural appropriation that is wrong solely because it is cultural appropriation.

- - - Updated - - -

The cultural appropriation of the circumcision aesthetic. :innocent2:

Um, what?

Back
Top Bottom