• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cut my own hair

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Pantheist
I really needed a haircut already when they closed all the barber shops in this town, and that was almost a month ago. By now it was really shaggy - well over my ears. So I bought some clippers at Amazon - they were delivered yesterday - and watched some videos on Youtube and got myself ready.

It didn't turn out too bad. To be fair, I'm virtually bald with just a little growth around the fringe like a monk. I'm proud of the way my mustache turned out though.

I'd been hearing that I wear my hair too short so the last haircut was left longer. Then the meltdown so now I'm starting to resemble a sasquatch. I asked her to give me a trim because I already own clippers but she refused. A self-administered buzz may be in my immediate future.

I've been trimming my bangs a little bit, buy my husband and I have decided to be retro and let our hair long hair grow even longer. Besides that, it's almost pony tail season, so I can always put my hair in a pony tail and he's been wearing his long, thick curly white hair in a pony tail for weeks. He does trim his beard, but to be honest, I love long hair on a man, assuming he has the right quality hair to do it.

This reminded me of the Crosby, Stills and Nash song from the hippy era. :D

I almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It was gettin' kinda long
I could-a said, it was in my way
But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
And I feel like I owe it to someone

Must be because I had the flu for Christmas
And I'm not feelin' up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car
But I'm not givin' in an inch to fear
Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone

When I finally get myself together
I'm gonna get down in that sunny southern weather
And I find a place inside to laugh
Separate the wheat from the chaff

You know that song is going to be in my head all day now.

Not trying it unless I start looking like that guy they got out of the Bastille in A Tale of Two Cities -- altho' that day will hit in about six weeks. I'm sure I'd transform myself into a celebrity (Captain Kangaroo.)

How to Give Yourself a Buzz Cut

Cutting your own hair may seem like a recipe for disaster, but with the right style it’s easy to save a few bucks doing the job at home. The buzz cut is one of the most timeless haircuts a man can get, and it’s also the easiest to do yourself. With a few simple tools and a bit of practice, you can give yourself professional-quality buzz cuts without having to wade through year-old magazines at your local barber’s shop. Here’s how to do it.

I've been trimming my bangs a little bit, buy my husband and I have decided to be retro and let our hair long hair grow even longer. Besides that, it's almost pony tail season, so I can always put my hair in a pony tail and he's been wearing his long, thick curly white hair in a pony tail for weeks. He does trim his beard, but to be honest, I love long hair on a man, assuming he has the right quality hair to do it.

This reminded me of the Crosby, Stills and Nash song from the hippy era. :D

I almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It was gettin' kinda long
I could-a said, it was in my way
But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
And I feel like I owe it to someone

Must be because I had the flu for Christmas
And I'm not feelin' up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car
But I'm not givin' in an inch to fear
Cause I promised myself this year

When I finally get myself together
I'm gonna get down in that sunny southern weather
And I find a place inside to laugh
Separate the wheat from the chaff

You know that song is going to be in my head all day now.

23 years in the navy, I could hardly get underway without the Southern Cross.

I’ve been cutting my hair for the past twelve years. The barber shop I used to go to had three youngish girls working there. They were the best of friends it seemed. Every haircut took three times as long as it should have. If they could cut and talk at the same time... but then again, maybe not. Perhaps I was just spoiled from the navy. Those were some fast barbers. Worth every bit of $5.

I've been doing this since the last recession. One thing I have learned is to never tell anyone that you've done it. People have straight up complimented my hairstyle, then upon learning that it was self-managed, revised their opinion! "Yeah, I can see you had a little trouble in the back, there..." :rolleyes:

I bet a lot of my fellow Millenials secretly cut their hair or have their friends and family do it, a salon haircut is an absurd expenditure when you're trying to live off gig work and tiny government checks.

Back in the stone age when we were just starting out my wife did mine to save money. She likes doing it so we have kept on that way ever since.

I started doing my husband's hair when he came home with a really bad $5 haircut. I figured if he was going to get a bad haircut, I could do it for free. After a while, it wasn't such a bad haircut. Then along came the kids and I was doing all of their hair as well. By this point we were a bit more flush with cash and I was really looking to do a little less....intensive, hands-on type of work with everybody ALL THE FREAKING TIME so I innocently suggested that getting your hair cut in a men's barbershop always seemed to be a right of passage/male bonding thing and weren't the boys getting to be about that age?

I know my husband misses his barber but it may come down to me picking up the scissors again soon. Personally, I like he way hubby's hair looks when he gets a little shaggy.

There is no way I will ever let my husband near my head with a pair of scissors, tho.

I started doing my husband's hair when he came home with a really bad $5 haircut. I figured if he was going to get a bad haircut, I could do it for free. After a while, it wasn't such a bad haircut. Then along came the kids and I was doing all of their hair as well. By this point we were a bit more flush with cash and I was really looking to do a little less....intensive, hands-on type of work with everybody ALL THE FREAKING TIME so I innocently suggested that getting your hair cut in a men's barbershop always seemed to be a right of passage/male bonding thing and weren't the boys getting to be about that age?

I know my husband misses his barber but it may come down to me picking up the scissors again soon. Personally, I like he way hubby's hair looks when he gets a little shaggy.

There is no way I will ever let my husband near my head with a pair of scissors, tho.

It grows back.

I let my wife have a crack at my hair with the electric clippers. She lacked confidence to really have at it but she managed to tidy up the sides and the back so it is at least presentable. The top is really long, she is going to have to get on to youtube and figure out how to use the scissors. I think many men will figure that paying $15-$20 for a trim is too much and will start to let their SO do that chore.

That's the one thing my dad was cool about, was telling the barber "just a trim" when I was in the chair. Just enough to get me past mom's inspection. On the couple occasions my mom took me though, oh, she had them make me look like a proper little gentleman. It was humiliating. It was the sixties for god's sake!

It grows back.

Not fast enough.

And not eyes.

Sometimes I wish it were more socially acceptable for women to have shaved heads (like men can), without folks wondering if they have cancer or some such awful thing.

Sometimes I wish it were more socially acceptable for women to have shaved heads (like men can), without folks wondering if they have cancer or some such awful thing.

Well if more women did it, it would become socially acceptable. Why should guys have all the fun?

Well if more women did it, it would become socially acceptable. Why should guys have all the fun?

Yup. That's how tattoos became socially acceptable for women. You just got to get the ball rolling.

Back
Top Bottom