• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Day of the Dead costumes and decorations

Playball40

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Non-religious
Ok, so I'm having a debate on FB (ugh) about whether or not participating and enjoying the Day of the Dead celebrations is appropriate or insulting. Some are claiming 'cultural appropriation' and equating it to 'black face'. Others are claiming it's holy and religious therefore and insult. Actual Day of the Dead celebration and sugar skulls, skeletons, etc., are actually more of a cultural thing but can be religious depending on the person celebrating.

I know the movie (made by a Mexican) Book of Life celebrates this holiday and it has been getting a lot of attention this holiday season. Would it be insulting and racist if one of my 'white' kids wanted to dress up as one of the characters from the movie?

What are your thoughts?

Ok, so I'm having a debate on FB (ugh) about whether or not participating and enjoying the Day of the Dead celebrations is appropriate or insulting. Some are claiming 'cultural appropriation' and equating it to 'black face'. Others are claiming it's holy and religious therefore and insult. Actual Day of the Dead celebration and sugar skulls, skeletons, etc., are actually more of a cultural thing but can be religious depending on the person celebrating.

I know the movie (made by a Mexican) Book of Life celebrates this holiday and it has been getting a lot of attention this holiday season. Would it be insulting and racist if one of my 'white' kids wanted to dress up as one of the characters from the movie?

What are your thoughts?

You should imagine how you would feel if someone from a completely different culture to yours dressed up appropriately to one of your cultural practises and tried to join in. If you would be OK with that, then it is probably OK.

If non-Irish can wear green and shamrocks on St. Patrick's day, then your (presumably) non-Mexican children can dress up like a character in the Book of Life for Halloween.

What are your thoughts?

You should imagine how you would feel if someone from a completely different culture to yours dressed up appropriately to one of your cultural practises and tried to join in. If you would be OK with that, then it is probably OK.

It would surprise me if any significant number of Mexicans took offense to people from the USA or Europeans (or anyone else really) having a Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebration. It's a syncretic Catholic/Pre-Columbian phenomenon.

What are your thoughts?
So, I've been told that I'm "white" therefore have no cultures of my own. Apparently they have ALL been appropriated. But to answer your question, no, I don't feel it's insulting or degrading - in fact many Day of the Dead activities are quite celebratory in nature. Much like Mardi Gras or Rio Carnival

So do they think Grim Fandango was racist?
59194.PNG

Would it be insulting and racist if one of my 'white' kids wanted to dress up as one of the characters from the movie?
Why would it be?
You're not trying to assimilate the culture, you're 1 degree of separation from the actual culture.
Any racism, insults or mistakes is the studio's part.
Just like an Aladdin or Jasmine costume is based on the 'culture' of Disney, not any Mid-East culture.

What are your thoughts?

I hereby grant you permission to mimic or impersonate any culture I am now or my ancestors ever were a part of.

What are your thoughts?

I hereby grant you permission to mimic or impersonate any culture I am now or my ancestors ever were a part of.

Me too. Since I'm white and have been part of so many cultures that I effectively have no more culture, that means you may do whatever you like. Or something.

Technically though I feel your pain. I dressed as a Gaucho last year and I had to think about it for a bit first. But then I said the hell with it. I have a Latino friend, after all. :D

If non-Irish can wear green and shamrocks on St. Patrick's day, then your (presumably) non-Mexican children can dress up like a character in the Book of Life for Halloween.

Bingo.

I know of no person of Hispanic descent who finds anyone celebrating with costume, Dia de los Muertos offensive.

Not all Hispanic people celebrate the day in the first place.

Bingo.

I know of no person of Hispanic descent who finds anyone celebrating with costume, Dia de los Muertos offensive.

Not all Hispanic people celebrate the day in the first place.

Yeah, it's mostly a Mexican thing with a little bit being celebrated in some parts of Central America. Apparently, though, the Brazilians have a version which is pretty big.

It'd probably make me feel the same way teenagers would when their dad tries to "be hip to what the kids are into these days", and dresses up in exaggerated 80's hip-hop clothes while trying to rap coolio's gangsta paradise... in 2014.

It'd be different maybe, if my culture's traditional practices weren't so incredibly lame. Nobody can dress in traditional clogs and look cool.

I saw a surprising number of hippie costumes today (is this a thing again?) - basically, exaggerated variations of what my friends and I really wore way back when. Am I supposed to be insulted now?

I saw a surprising number of hippie costumes today (is this a thing again?) - basically, exaggerated variations of what my friends and I really wore way back when. Am I supposed to be insulted now?

Yes.

The Day of the Dead is known as La Fête des Morts in France, held on November 2nd. Religious origin, specifically Catholic. Following La Toussaint (all Saints Day, Nov.1st) again religious, specifically Catholic. I just realized that by "Day of the Dead", you meant Halloween on October 31st. "Day of the Dead" having a completely different significance in my country. Not one which implies a festive celebration.

Around the mid 90's is when Halloween started being celebrated in France though remaining distinct from the actual Day of the Dead. It is still viewed as "An American Holiday" and for that reason is not celebrated by French families who abide to a traditionalist view of celebrating only French origin holidays. But you will find among those who celebrate it a variety of scary costumes. This is still sort of a novelty so it has not reached the point of people being offended based on costumes portraying another culture or ethnic group. From what I recall, the choice of costumes remains the scary type. You do not find the diversity in styles of costumes you find in the US.

If any sense of being offended, it is reflected among the French who view Halloween as a purely commercial enterprise which clashes with the non commercial aspect of our Toussaint and Fete des Morts (Nov.1st and Nov.2nd). The sole commercial aspect being flower shops stocking up on flowers and wreaths to be laid on the graves of our beloved deceased on Nov. 2nd.

Essentially if you and your family were in France, you would not have to worry about offending anyone based on wearing a costume or dress up as one of the characters of the movie. Granted the dressing up occurs on October 31st, not on the actual Day of the Dead.

What are your thoughts?
I have never been invested in celebrating Halloween. I will give out candy to kids, that's it. I have never given it a thought as to whether costumes worn by kids are offensive to anyone sensitivity. So, let me dig in my mind and envision what would make me frown. Worst I could envision which would give me a chill in my bones and basically shock me would be a kid dressed up as Hitler, in full uniform. That because for people of my generation whose elder relatives were profoundly affected by the Nazi regime, especially when you are of Jewish ancestry. I suppose to a Black family, a kid showing up wearing a KKK costume might evoke something very somber as it symbolizes a history which hit way too close to home.

I do not know if you saw reactions in the social media to some folks going with a hazmat costume. A lot of people being quite agitated about it and I suppose because it evokes a current tragedy (Ebola) and in their mind not even the festive and entertaining aspect of Halloween should humor that current tragedy.

Día de muertos is a Catholic holiday, all saints day. It is celebrated around the world and doesn't belong to Mexico although Latin American countries do seem to have a unique way of doing it. Aside from the partying and skull candies it is a day for the family to visit the cemetery and clean up around the graves of past family members and leave flowers.

But hey, Mexicans take almost anything as a reason to party. Cinco de Mayo (a big party time) is celebrating a bunch of Mexican peasants kicking the butt of some of Napoleon's troops on 5 May 1862 at the Battle of Puebla.

Last edited:
Día de muertos is a Catholic holiday, all saints day. It is celebrated around the world and doesn't belong to Mexico although Latin American countries do seem to have a unique way of doing it. Aside from the partying and skull candies it is a day for the family to visit the cemetery and clean up around the graves of past family members and leave flowers.

But hey, Mexicans take almost anything as a reason to party. Cinco de Mayo (a big party time) is celebrating a bunch of Mexican peasants kicking the butt of some of Napoleon's troops on 5 May 1862 at the Battle of Puebla.

Mexican Día de Muertos has strong indigenous influence. Celebrating in such an eerie way is no where near how Spaniards celebrate it.

Nothing adds fun and flavor to Catholicism like its Pagan assimilations. :)

calacas_4.jpg

The Day of the Dead is known as La Fête des Morts in France, held on November 2nd. Religious origin, specifically Catholic. Following La Toussaint (all Saints Day, Nov.1st) again religious, specifically Catholic. I just realized that by "Day of the Dead", you meant Halloween on October 31st. "Day of the Dead" having a completely different significance in my country. Not one which implies a festive celebration.

Around the mid 90's is when Halloween started being celebrated in France though remaining distinct from the actual Day of the Dead. It is still viewed as "An American Holiday" and for that reason is not celebrated by French families who abide to a traditionalist view of celebrating only French origin holidays. But you will find among those who celebrate it a variety of scary costumes. This is still sort of a novelty so it has not reached the point of people being offended based on costumes portraying another culture or ethnic group. From what I recall, the choice of costumes remains the scary type. You do not find the diversity in styles of costumes you find in the US.

If any sense of being offended, it is reflected among the French who view Halloween as a purely commercial enterprise which clashes with the non commercial aspect of our Toussaint and Fete des Morts (Nov.1st and Nov.2nd). The sole commercial aspect being flower shops stocking up on flowers and wreaths to be laid on the graves of our beloved deceased on Nov. 2nd.

Essentially if you and your family were in France, you would not have to worry about offending anyone based on wearing a costume or dress up as one of the characters of the movie. Granted the dressing up occurs on October 31st, not on the actual Day of the Dead.

What are your thoughts?
I have never been invested in celebrating Halloween. I will give out candy to kids, that's it. I have never given it a thought as to whether costumes worn by kids are offensive to anyone sensitivity. So, let me dig in my mind and envision what would make me frown. Worst I could envision which would give me a chill in my bones and basically shock me would be a kid dressed up as Hitler, in full uniform. That because for people of my generation whose elder relatives were profoundly affected by the Nazi regime, especially when you are of Jewish ancestry. I suppose to a Black family, a kid showing up wearing a KKK costume might evoke something very somber as it symbolizes a history which hit way too close to home.

I do not know if you saw reactions in the social media to some folks going with a hazmat costume. A lot of people being quite agitated about it and I suppose because it evokes a current tragedy (Ebola) and in their mind not even the festive and entertaining aspect of Halloween should humor that current tragedy.

When I spoke of Day of the Dead, I was speaking of Nov 1-2. Those "holy"days were preempted by a festival on the eve 'een' of those days. All Halloweds Eve

Mexican Día de Muertos has strong indigenous influence. Celebrating in such an eerie way is no where near how Spaniards celebrate it.

Nothing adds fun and flavor to Catholicism like its Pagan assimilations. :)

calacas_4.jpg

Yes. It is a fantastic example of Catholic and Mesoamerican syncretism.

Back
Top Bottom