• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Definition of Consciousness: 2nd Poll

Which one of the four definitions below best fits your view of consciousness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you claim I have not provided content you are just lying.
The key expressions are 'evidence', 'rational discourse' and 'fire and fury'

Your posts are lacking the first two and are full of the third

so there's no meaningful content either.

See you tomorrow.

Do you have one example from these "dozens" of times?

Just one.

Do you know the difference between a claim and evidence? Have you taken one course that involved what is called "evidence"?

You don't seem to ever think it is necessary.

Oh, I think it's incredibly necessary, I just don't think it's EFFECTIVE, so I don't try anymore. I've seen enough evidence to understand that you won't acknowledge any of the blatant inaccuracies in your opinions, ever. In the meantime, you don't seem to realize that I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just pointing out that you're wrong to everyone else, so you won't fool anyone by sheer stubborn repetition. Consider it a public service.

Do you have one example from these "dozens" of times?

Just one.

Do you know the difference between a claim and evidence? Have you taken one course that involved what is called "evidence"?

You don't seem to ever think it is necessary.

Oh, I think it's incredibly necessary, I just don't think it's EFFECTIVE, so I don't try anymore. I've seen enough evidence to understand that you won't acknowledge any of the blatant inaccuracies in your opinions, ever. In the meantime, you don't seem to realize that I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just pointing out that you're wrong to everyone else, so you won't fool anyone by sheer stubborn repetition. Consider it a public service.

You are lying to yourself.

You never had any good arguments.

That is why you simply post displeasure and never evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

See you tomorrow.

Yes. Tell lies and run away.

It is what children do.

I have the ability to understand that the link you provided is not an example of you presenting an amazing argument just to have me ignore it.

It is just an example of the level of discussion I have to contend with.

Since people aren't discussing definitions of consciousness that are operational maybe we should, instead, move this discussion to a place better suited for it's content.

My suggestion is make it a case study thread in social science on the role of denial and self serving in the psychological domain of projection, maybe centered on perseverating mechanisms in the phenomenon of delusion.

Hey, you guys ever thought about doin' a TV show, like?

You know, like the Office, only more cringeworthier? Fer cryin' out loud.

Hey, you guys ever thought about doin' a TV show, like?

You know, like the Office, only more cringeworthier? Fer cryin' out loud.

Please. There is a lot at stake here.

Or, to put it another way.....

duty_calls.png

Aren't I 'Mr Evolved' these days, eh? There was a time....not so long ago......

I think it's clear we're better at mimicking other human beings and interacting with other human beings than mimicking and interacting with TV sets.

Something in our genes, I would guess.

And of course, good mimicking and good interacting is favourable, possibly even necessary, to the acquisition of language in young humans.

True of other species too, I would guess.
EB

You are lying to yourself.

You never had any good arguments.

That is why you simply post displeasure and never evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

See you tomorrow.

Yes. Tell lies and run away.

It is what children do.

Run away?

"See you tomorrow"

Could it possibly mean

"Oh. It's 2:38 am.

Time to get some shuteye?"

Getting back on topic, it seems to me that we need to acknowledge the fact that the brain generates multiple levels of awareness, but we think of consciousness as a stream of thought and attention that dominates all other levels awareness and volition. The peripheral nervous system is constantly forwarding data to the central nervous system, but we are often not conscious until something happens to bring a sensation to our attention. Similarly, we can perform all sorts of actions unconsciously--coordinated movements such as walking, swallowing, dancing, playing an instrument, speaking--and dip in and out of focused attention on those actions. When you are asleep, someone calling your name can often bring one to wakefulness instantly, but we aren't conscious when the peripheral nervous system sends auditory input to the brain. Not all sounds or even talking will wake people up as easily as calling that person's name, so there is some level of awareness of external reality that is not conscious awareness even during periods of sleep. What is the difference between a monitoring level of awareness/volition and a "conscious" level? What causes a lower level of awareness to rise to the dominant level of grabbing one's full attention?

Back
Top Bottom