• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democratic Debate #1

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
An energetic bunch. I am enjoying the substantive debate.

I am appreciating the specifics given by many candidates on the topics.

I have not seen the debate, but just saw Trump make a tweet about some technical glitch during the event and how MSNBC should be embarrassed by it. (Apparently he does not remember, or does not care about, his own glitch in a 2016 GOP debate where he did not walk out on stage after he was called out.) What was the shocking glitch?

The audio booth left the mics on for the previous moderators who were chatting in the hall outside. I was surprised at hw long it took them to fix it, but it wasn’t horrible. The current mods took a commercial break.

DiBlasio’s interruptions are screaming arrogant entitlement to me.

Moderator: What is the greatest threat to America?
Inslee: The greatest threat to America is Donald Trump.

Nice questions.

Congresswoman Gabbard, do you remember when years and years ago after you were raised by a conservative christian family you started your life with anti-gay views? Do you have any comment on being anti-gay?

Nice questions.

Congresswoman Gabbard, do you remember when years and years ago after you were raised by a conservative christian family you started your life with anti-gay views? Do you have any comment on being anti-gay?

Her answer seemed decent. She’s the one who brought up the conservative background and the change of heart, so I think she ended up where voters would hope her to be.

She talked a LOT about her military experience, but as my husband points out - she’s young, she doesn’t have a lot else yet.

I cant tell if you are serious or joking. This debate was full of pandering and very few specifics or policy positions were stated. Very few questions answered.

The talking in Spanish was amusing.

With both Sanders and Yang on tomorrow, I expect far more substance and policy. I predict a bump for Yang, if he gets to state his platform.

I'm still liking Warren. For my tastes, I think she, Castro and Inslee came off best, counting style and substance. Worst: Ryan, Deblasio, Beto, and Todd. Beto looked like he hadn't slept, and he lost me right away with his non answer on taxes. Tulsi looked uncanny valley robotic, but she did roast the fuck out of Ryan in that exchange over foreign policy.

Best line of tomorrow's debaters:

mariannew spanish.JPG

Nice questions.

Her answer seemed decent. She’s the one who brought up the conservative background and the change of heart, so I think she ended up where voters would hope her to be.

She talked a LOT about her military experience, but as my husband points out - she’s young, she doesn’t have a lot else yet.

She's pretty good at back stabbing and climbing over people she throws under the bus.

I cant tell if you are serious or joking. This debate was full of pandering and very few specifics or policy positions were stated. Very few questions answered.

With both Sanders and Yang on tomorrow, I expect far more substance and policy. I predict a bump for Yang, if he gets to state his platform.

There will be no substance from Sanders, unless you count spittle.

The audio booth left the mics on for the previous moderators who were chatting in the hall outside. I was surprised at hw long it took them to fix it, but it wasn’t horrible. The current mods took a commercial break.

They finally asked Warren and she told them what to do.

There will be no substance from Sanders, unless you count spittle.

Sanders had plenty of substance in 2016. I haven't followed him closely this time around, as Yang now has my support. Did Sanders become another standard platitude robot like the ones we saw tonight?

It was a hot mess, and not in a good way.

I realize this is SOP for politicians, but a lot of it was "thanks for that question, Chuck...now let me not answer it, and instead fall back on the talking points I have rehearsed which sort of address the general topic."

With so many candidates, it came across as early auditions for American Idol, and some of them clearly shouldn't move on to the next round. Beto crashed and burned. Gabbard didn't do herself any favors. Ryan, Delaney, DeBlasio, and Inslee should pack their bags as well. Castro did the best job of answering the "why are you here?" question. I'd give the overall "win" to Warren, with Booker coming in second.

I'm hoping round two will be better. Looking forward to Mayor Pete, who seems to be better at the "ignore the question, here's my stump speech" thing.

For most of these, I feel like Randy Jackson on the aforementioned singing show: "Yo, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg."

I tried to watch it. I really did, but I kept falling asleep. I wasn't impressed, but maybe that's just me. I wonder how many American voters were able to watch the entire debate without losing interest. I did record it, so maybe later I'll try to watch it. I'm really an early morning person, so it could be that.....

People on MSNBC are raving about Warren, Castro and Booker, but did either of them say anything that they haven't said before? Well now that I think about it, Castro hasn't really had a chance to say much prior to last night.

10 more tonight. There are two many candidates. I can't wait until the field narrows down to a few.

Of course it "was a hot mess" and of course Gabbard did "back stabbing and climbing over people she throws under the bus", because she came out much better in this debate than those who support the leading candidates would have liked. Apparently she did the best out of all those who were on the stage.

The response to her shows there is hope for the Democratic Party.

Back
Top Bottom