• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $778. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Democrats trying to unseat each other II

lpetrich

Contributor
Katie Hill is getting into the game also.

HER Time on Twitter: "We need people in Congress who are not just there to take votes, but will fight for issues that uniquely and disproportionately impact women. That’s why we’re proud to announce our full list of frontline endorsements - let's protect our House majority by re-electing them in 2022! (link)" / Twitter

Angie Craig MN-02 0.42, Katie Porter CA-45 0.24, Lauren Underwood IL-14 0.30, Susan Wild PA-07 0.29, Abigail Spanberger VA-07 0.50, Sharice Davids KS-03 0.35, Mikie Sherrill NJ-11 0.38, Lucy McBath GA-06 0.37, Elissa Slotkin MI-08 0.42, Haley Stevens MI-11 0.35, Cindy Axne IA-03 0.51, Kim Schrier WA-08 0.35, Carolyn Bourdeaux GA-07 --, Jahana Hayes CT-05 0.10, Susie Lee NV-03 0.41, Lizzie Fletcher TX-07 0.40.

Many of them more centrist than left-wing, the sort who got annoyed by AOC's campaign donations.

I found their ideology scores with Report Cards for 2020 - GovTrack.us

lpetrich

Contributor
AP Politics on Twitter: "BREAKING: U.S. Rep. Joe Crowley defeated by young challenger in Democratic primary in New York." / Twitter
datelined 6:51 PM · Jun 26, 2018

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Three years ago today.

Not a day goes by where I’m not forever, deeply grateful to our community and movement of everyday people whose contributions, effort, and support sends me to Congress.

Thank you for taking a chance on me, NY-14. Every day is for you 💜" / Twitter

That's very sweet.

House Democrats launch PAC to protect incumbents from attacks from within
The PAC is being established by three rising stars in the House Democratic Caucus: Reps. Hakeem Jeffries of New York, Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey and Terri Sewell of Alabama.

Two of this new group's leaders — Gottheimer and Sewell — represent the more moderate factions of the Democratic caucus, which are more likely to see primaries from the left. Gottheimer is co-chair of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, and Sewell is a member of the New Democrat Coalition and the Congressional Black Caucus. Jeffries is a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, whose members are also facing primaries from the left.

The group plans to defend progressive members Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., and Rep. Danny Davis, D-Ill., who are already facing primary challenges from the far left.
Their ideology scores: Josh Gottheimer NJ-05 0.64, Terri Sewell AL-07 0.32, Hakeem Jeffries NY-08 0.25.

lpetrich

Contributor
Over in reddit, u/sXehero137 is posting his/her/their/its "List Of 2022 Progressives Running For U.S. Congress" with updated versions posted every now and then. Already at some 58 candidates.

Brand New Congress is now endorsing:
Angelica Dueñas CA-29
Malcolm Kenyatta PA-SEN

AD is trying again.

Nina Turner Is Running to Join the Squad | The Nation
"Can the Sanders surrogate win over her district without losing her supporters on the left?"
Before there was the Squad, or even the glimmer of a movement by insurgent progressives to challenge incumbent congressional Democrats, a progressive Black woman legislator in Cleveland contemplated what to many Democrats was unthinkable at the time: challenging a respected Black congresswoman from the left in a primary, in this case Representative Marcia Fudge of Ohio, in 2012.

In the end, Nina Turner didn’t run against Fudge, but even announcing she was considering it made her an outsider to establishment Democratic Party politics.

Now Nina Turner may be poised to actually join the Squad. In her run to fill the seat vacated when Fudge became the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, the former Ohio legislator has the endorsement of Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, and Cori Bush, four women of color who either defeated an incumbent or ascended after an incumbent stepped down. She’s also backed by Progressive Caucus chairs Pramila Jayapal and Katie Porter, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison—and, of course, Bernie Sanders.

The key to this race, though, will be winning over her district’s many Biden supporters—the president won roughly 80 percent of the general-election vote here last year, as did Clinton four years earlier—without losing her admirers on the Sanders left.

Meanwhile, her leading rival, Cuyahoga County councilwoman and Democratic Party chair Shontel Brown, is running on her ties to the president. A recent ad includes a photo of Brown with Biden and features a cable host telling Turner, “You’ve been highly critical of President-elect Joe Biden.” The ad closes with: “I’m Shontel Brown, and I’ll work with Joe Biden.” (By press time, Clinton had endorsed Brown.)
Back in mid-2020, an article in The Atlantic noted NT's lack of enthusiasm about Joe Biden. “It’s like saying to somebody, ‘You have a bowl of shit in front of you, and all you’ve got to do is eat half of it instead of the whole thing.’ It’s still shit.”

But since he became President, NT praised him, especially for his COVID-19 response.
Democratic voters will decide in an August 3 primary. An internal poll released on June 1 showed Turner at 50 percent and Brown at 15 percent, trailing “undecided.” But observers say the race could tighten, given Brown’s access to outside money.

lpetrich

Contributor
The article then got into her biography, of the difficult life that she had.

She got into Cuyahoga Community College, and one of her teachers was American-black history teacher Dorothy Salem, "my mentor and surrogate mom".
“She’s a white lady with blond hair—and I was in my Black history class,” Turner recalls. “Of course, I was like, ‘White people can’t teach Black history!’ I’m looking at my schedule and saying, ‘I gotta be in the wrong class!’” Salem confirms the story: “Students would come to class the first day, look at me, and check their schedules. That was Nina. She came in and sat in the back of the class, and I could tell I had to prove who I was.”
NT got a master's degree at Cleveland State University, and went on to become a history professor at CCC in 2009. She also worked as a political aide in a variety of jobs, got elected to the Cleveland city council in 2005, and to the Ohio State Senate in 2008.

Then Issue 6, the reorganization of the Cuyahoga County government. "The measure did away with the all-powerful three-person county board and created an elected county executive and an 11-member county council. Democrats were against it, because it meant some Republicans could win seats."

NT recalls "Old-time Democrats, old-time Black leaders, opposed it. When it came to county corruption, in terms of Democrats, I stood up to say, ‘We have an opportunity to change the structure and let more people be in elected leadership.’ They threatened to ruin my career."

A local black newspaper caricatured her as Aunt Jemima.

In effect, a black version of Tammany Hall. In the mid to late 19th cy., it catered to Irish immigrants but was often grossly corrupt.

"Soon came the issues that would cement her image as a progressive rabble-rouser: the 2010 GOP takeover of state legislatures across the country, as well as Congress, and the rise of anti-worker, anti-women, and anti-voter legislation nationwide."

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Democratic voters will decide in an August 3 primary. An internal poll released on June 1 showed Turner at 50 percent and Brown at 15 percent, trailing “undecided.” But observers say the race could tighten, given Brown’s access to outside money.

I've not taken sides in the Turner vs Brown contest. But in general the fact that money may undo a 50-15 advantage seems quite discouraging.

lpetrich

Contributor
Then Nina Turner's campaigning for Presidential candidates. In 2016, she campaigned for Hillary Clinton, and then she discovered Bernie Sanders.
Turner thrilled to his calls for Medicare for All and free college and to his campaign’s defiance of centrist incrementalism. Turner thrilled to his calls for Medicare for All and free college and to his campaign’s defiance of centrist incrementalism. Sanders also asked Turner directly for her support; his team courted her ardently, something Clinton never did. In fact, at a women’s conference in 2015, Clinton failed to recognize her. The memory still causes pain.
Then her present run for office.
Turner is walking a careful line in this race. She never hides her commitment to Sanders, but in certain settings she puts more emphasis on her strong Democratic Party ties. She has come in for criticism from the left: After the podcaster Jimmy Dore trashed Ocasio-Cortez for opposing a doomed attempt to force a vote on Medicare for All at the start of this congressional session—addressing her viciously as “You liar. You coward. You gaslighter”—Turner defended her and the rest of the Squad on the lefty Humanist Report podcast.

“The Squad is ultimately the best that we have in terms of being able to push an agenda,” she said passionately. “Just because they’re not using the exact tactics some in the activist community want them to… Guess what: If you’re throwing away members of the Squad, then you’re not going to have anybody there.”

lpetrich

Contributor
Corporate Democrats are scrambling to keep Nina Turner out of Congress | Salon.com
Like Hillary Clinton, who has endorsed NT's main opponent, Shontel Brown.
The contrast was sharp with Brown, who chairs the Democratic Party in Cuyahoga County, a major population center that includes the city of Cleveland. The discussion of health care was typical: Brown voiced a preference for a "public option," while Turner strongly advocated Medicare for All while calling the current health care situation "absurd" and "asinine." Brown sounded content to tinker with the status quo. Turner flatly declared: "The employer-based system, the commodification of health care, does not work in the United States of America. Almost 100 million people are either underinsured or uninsured right now."

So the attacks are escalating from Brown's campaign. It sent out a mailer — complete with an out-of-focus photo of Turner, made to look lurid — under the headline "Nina Turner Opposed President Biden and Worked Against Democrats." A more accurate headline would have been: "Nina Turner Supported Sen. Sanders and Worked Against Neoliberal Democrats." The Brown campaign's first TV ad, which began airing last month, features her saying that she will "work with Joe Biden … that's different than Nina Turner."
Rep. James Clyburn Opposes Sanders Ally in Special Election - The New York Times
He is in the House leadership as the Majority Whip.

"The decision by Representative James Clyburn to oppose an outspoken ally of Senator Bernie Sanders in a special election in Cleveland highlights the generational and ideological gulf in the Democratic Party."

lpetrich

Contributor
Charles Booker is now officially in the Kentucky Senate race. If he wins the Democratic primary, he will be up against incumbent Senator Rand Paul.

Another progressive PAC: Democracy for America : Home

Endorsing
Aramis Ayala FL-10, because Val Demings will be running for US Senate, challenging Marco Rubio.
Michele Rayner FL-13, because Charlie Crist will be running for Governor of Florida.

lpetrich

Contributor
What do his chances look like, though? Are Rand’s numbers strong?
I checked on polling site RealClearPolitics - 2020 - Latest Polls
I found polls for AZ, GA, and NH, but none for KY.

I found this cute comment:
Sarafina Chitika on Twitter: "You know you're out of touch with your district when nearly every non-incumbent you endorsed loses -- most of them badly -- after round one of voting. Not looking great for @CarolynBMaloney in her upcoming primary against @RanaForCongress. (pix link)" / Twitter

While some of AOC's endorsements won, like her good friend Tiffany Caban. She endorsed 60 candidates in 31 districts, and so far, 16 of them won.

Brand New Congress is now endorsing Marsha Williams IL-16, bring its endorsed non-incumbents to 8. Justice Democrats is a bit behind, at 4.

lpetrich

Contributor
Donna Imam on Twitter: "It's on! I'll see you out there. 🔊 (vid link)" / Twitter
Donna Imam announcing her candidacy.

She plans to run in Austin TX, but she doesn't know which district to run in, since Texas will be having some redistricting.

Brand New Congress is now endorsing 11 candidates.
  • Against D incumbents (4): Angelica Duenas CA-29, Shervin Aazami CA-30, Melanie D'Arrigo NY-03, Rebecca Parson WA-06
  • For open seats (4): Nina Turner OH-11, Jessica Mason TX-30, Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick FL-20, Malcolm Kenyatta PA-SEN
  • Against R incumbents (3): Marsha Williams IL-16, Brittany Ramos De Barros NY-11, Charles Booker KY-SEN
Challenging Jerry Nadler in NY-10 is a certain Ashmi Sheth.

lpetrich

Contributor
With 2 weeks to go, the special election for the Ohio 11 Congressional seat heats up

The race in OH-11 has been heating up, with Shontel Brown issuing attack ads against Nina Turner, claiming that she would not work well with centrist politicians like Joe Biden.

NT responded with attack ads of her own, saying that she has not done much while in office, and that she's used her position to enrich her family and friends and herself.

Garfield Heights Councilman Endorses Nina Turner, Says He Was Erroneously Included on Shontel Brown Endorsement List | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog
noting Councilman Michael Dudley Sr. Endorses Sen. Nina Turner - YouTube
Dudley's endorsement, which he said is one of fewer than 10 he has made in 14 years of elected office, is also a repudiation of Shontel Brown, whom he said erroneously included him on a list of more than 100 local elected officials supporting her.

"You saw my name out there supposedly endorsing another candidate," Dudley said in the video. "That is absolutely not true. I haven't signed nothing or endorsed any other candidate. My endorsement clearly goes to Nina Turner."
He also didn't like the idea of electing someone for "on-the-job training", as he called it. After noting NT's experience,
"We don't want to have a person who's selling us out to special interest groups," Dudley said. "Nina doesn't work for special interest groups. I've known her all these years. She works for the people, and she puts herself on the line for the people."

lpetrich

Contributor
How the Cleveland House Race Between Turner and Brown Captures Democrats' Generational Divide - The New York Times
Nina Turner’s move from Bernie Sanders’s campaign co-chairwoman to House candidate has highlighted a Democratic divide between impatient young activists and cautious older voters.

The Democratic establishment is throwing copious amounts of time and money into an effort to stop Nina Turner, a former Cleveland councilwoman and Ohio state senator.

On Aug. 3, the voters of Ohio’s 11th District will render that judgment and with it, some indication of the direction the Democratic Party is heading: toward the defiant and progressive approach Ms. Turner embodies or the reserved mold of its leaders in Washington, shaped more by the establishment than the ferment stirring its grass roots.

Democrats say there is little broader significance to this individual House primary contest, one that pits two Black women against each other in a safe Democratic district that had been represented by Marcia Fudge before she was confirmed as President Biden’s secretary of housing and urban development.

The outcome of the special election could reverberate through the party. Progressive primary challengers have already declared — and are raising impressive sums, far more than previous challengers — to take on Representatives Carolyn B. Maloney in New York, Danny K. Davis in Chicago, John Yarmuth in Louisville and Jim Cooper in Nashville. They are hoping to build on the successes of Representatives Ocasio-Cortez and Jamaal Bowman in New York, Ayanna S. Pressley in Boston, Marie Newman in Chicago and Cori Bush in St. Louis — all of whom have knocked off Democratic incumbents since 2018.

And now, inexplicably to Ms. Turner and her allies, the powerful Black establishment is intervening in an open-seat race between two Black candidates.

“I don’t begrudge anybody wanting to get involved in the race,” Ms. Turner said, “but the entire Congressional Black Caucus PAC? That’s sending another message: Progressives need not apply.”
The Congressional Black Caucus is taking the side of Shontel Brown, as is Rep. James Clyburn and Hillary Clinton.

lpetrich

Contributor
Oil and Gas Heir Funding Super PAC Attacking Nina Turner - "Samson Energy’s chair has donated $1.25 million to the Democratic Majority for Israel super PAC, which endorsed Turner’s opponent Shontel Brown."
Stacy Schusterman, heir and chair of Samson Energy, a fossil fuel company that owns at least 11 oil and gas wells in Wyoming, donated $1.55 million to Democratic Majority for Israel in 2019 and 2020, a super PAC that has in turn spent over $660,000 on ads supporting Brown and attacking her Democratic primary opponent Nina Turner, according to an Intercept review of federal campaign finance records. Schusterman is the super PAC’s largest individual donor.
That PAC is the DMFI. It attacked Bernie Sanders and supported Rep. Eliot Engel against Jamaal Bowman.
While Democratic Majority for Israel describes itself as working to “maintain and strengthen support for Israel among Democratic leaders including presidential and congressional candidates,” much of the group’s ad spending has not focused on a candidate’s support for Israel and has instead launched various attacks on candidates perceived to be more sympathetic to the Palestinian cause.

Some of Brown’s notable backers have deep ties to fossil fuel interests.
Rep. Jim Clyburn, Rep. Troy Carter, Hillary Clinton, Rep. Marc Veasey.

"The Congressional Black Caucus PAC, which endorsed Brown on July 7, has on its board Michael Williams and Al Wynn, who have worked as lobbyists for the petroleum and coal industries, respectively."

lpetrich

Contributor
Shontel Brown’s Campaign Website Is Low-Key Pleading for Super PAC Support
Brown’s campaign has listed on its website a set of negative talking points about her opponent Nina Turner, all enclosed in a bright red box. Directly under the red box is a quote from Democratic consultant Mark Mellman, the leader of a major pro-Israel super PAC that has consistently spent large sums of money against Sen. Bernie Sanders and his congressional allies. (“Red box” is a campaign industry term, referring to the spot on the website that candidates use to communicate with outside groups like super PACs.).
How ingenious. Requesting help from PAC's while claiming no direct connection with them.

Corporate Lobbyists Declare War on Nina Turner
Punchbowl News recently posted an invitation for a fundraising reception on June 16 “honoring” Brown. Representative Pete Aguilar (D-CA), a caucus vice-chair of the corporate New Democrat Coalition in the House, was listed as a special guest at the event. The coalition’s PAC, NewDem Action Fund, was listed as a host.

The super PAC’s treasurer is Marcus Mason, a corporate lobbyist who is also listed as a host of the event. Mason’s clients include Fox News parent company Fox Corporation, private equity giant Carlyle Group, student loan servicer Navient, the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, tech giant Google, and gig delivery company DoorDash.

Every other host named on the fundraising event appears to be a lobbyist, too. Virgil Miller lobbies for oil and gas giant ExxonMobil, telecom firms Comcast and AT&T, pharmacy chain CVS Health (which owns health insurer Aetna), and DoorDash. Nicole Venable lobbies for Apple, Bayer, McDonald’s, and Navient. She also represents the Business Roundtable, a lobbying group for corporate CEOs, and surveillance software company Palantir.

Jerome Murray lobbies for the American Investment Council, a trade group for the private equity industry. He also represents the powerful drug lobby Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), as well as drugmakers Pfizer, Amgen, and AbbVie individually. Brandon Garrett lobbies for Walmart, American Airlines, FedEx, Nike, and the Managed Funds Association, a trade group for hedge funds. Dontai Smalls is a lobbyist for UPS.
I quoted that at length because of all the big-money lobbyists it listed.

lpetrich

Contributor
But in a Daily Poster live chat, Nina Turner stated her reason for running.
“What came after the Gilded Age? The progressive era,” she said. “We are doing that same dance in the twenty-first century. That just increases my resolve to do what I am doing right now, which is to fight this fight, both in a movement capacity and run for office yet again, to be able to use that platform to do a whole lot of good for a whole lot of people.”
So she's hoping to help end Gilded Age II.

Hillary Clinton Wants Nina Turner to Lose
HC endorses Shontel Brown. The article's author speculates that HC is against NT because NT worked for her 2016 opponent, Bernie Sanders.

The Politics of a Second Gilded Age - I like that article.

I like that comparison, and it is evident that Gilded Age II has accumulated a lot of unsolved social problems, much like previous Schlesinger-cycle conservative eras. Society's elites are reluctant to do much to solve those problems, if they recognize the existence of those problems and not dismiss them as non-problems. Efforts to solve those problems then end that era and start a new liberal era.

I must concede that Gilded Age II has lasted longer than the first one, and that attempts to end it have failed so far. I remember what a flop the Occupy movement was. The organizers of the Occupy camps never bothered to try to find new meeting places after their original camps were shut down.

Cyclical theory (United States history)

lpetrich

Contributor
The Newest Member of the Squad Is Already Backing Challenges to Her Colleagues – Mother Jones - "Cori Bush is jumping in early to try to boost the ranks of the progressive wing of the House"

Rep. Cori Bush is endorsing Amy Vilela, challenging incumbent Dina Titus for NV-01. AV ran back in 2018, and her run was chronicled in "Knock Down The House", along with runs by AOC, CB, and Paula Jean Swearengin that year. Only AOC won, though CB won in 2020. AV sat out 2020 and campaigned for Bernie Sanders, but she's campaigning again.
As a newly elected lawmaker, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) raised eyebrows when she called for primary opponents against soon-to-be colleagues soon after her 2018 election. But after that initial broadside, she has ended up being choosy about her endorsements when she actually started working alongside them as a member of Congress. She’s lent her support only to a handful of candidates— and typically not until much later in the cycle. (Ocasio-Cortez conspicuously declined to endorse Bush’s 2020 rematch against Clay after campaigning on Bush’s behalf in 2018.)
Early in the 2020 House races, AOC only endorsed Jessica Cisneros vs. Henry Cuellar in TX-28 and Marie Newman vs. Dan Lipinski in IL-03. JC lost and MN won. Close to the primary elections, however, AOC endorsed Jamaal Bowman vs. Eliot Engel in NY-16 and Alex Morse vs. Richard Neal in MA-01. I think that she did so because she considered the incumbents guilty of moral turpitude. EE of being negligent about his district during the early months of COVID-19, and only returning because he has a primary. RN's campaigners because of their smear campaign against AM.

lpetrich

Contributor
Paula Jean Swearengin ran for US Senate in 2018 and 2020, losing both times. First in the primaries, to Joe Manchin, and then in the general election, to Republican Shelley Moore Capito.

I'm Paula Jean Swearengin And I'm Joining The People's Party
The Democrat party didn’t just refuse to support our campaigns, they actively worked against us. Now, the same party that worked so hard to keep Sen. Joe Manchin in his seat in 2018 is using him as a scapegoat for legislation they had no intention of passing in the first place.

Even though I was the U.S. Senate Democratic Candidate in West Virginia, in 2020 the Party refused to support a debate between myself and Republican Sen. Shelley Moore-Capito. They’d rather ignore a non-corporate candidate that would take them to task than give the voters a real choice.

Most recently the West Virginia Democrat Party had a public racist implosion within their Democrat Executive Committee meeting. Despite a public outcry, we heard crickets from Sen. Joe Manchin and the Democrat Party National leaders, even after the public demanded the Chair of the West Virginia State Party to step down. I’ve been thinking about leaving the Democrat Party for a long time. The fact that the party once again was willing to ignore their members AND actively suppressed people of color asking for a voice, was the icing on the cake for me.
Saying that the party leadership didn't help her, even though she ran against a Republican. It's not like she was some DINO.

Two-Time West Virginia U.S. Senate Candidate Paula Jean Swearengin Joins The People’s Party
Swearengin’s duties at the People’s Party will include mentorship and training to Party candidates, infrastructure advising for campaign support as Candidate Engagement director, and building up support as West Virginia State Director. “I look forward to helping vet and mentor candidates that are ordinary people like myself. And help advise on systems that actually build real support for candidates and their teams,” Swearengin said. “We are working to put the power back in the hands of the people. I’m joining a Party that does better than making promises on the campaign trail only to pass bread-crumb legislation when they make it to o office.”

Harry Bosch

Contributor

I've been wondering why the republicans have been so happy lately!

lpetrich

Contributor
Marisa Nahem on Twitter: "🚨NEWS: Rep. @jamie_raskin announces endorsement of @ninaturner saying,

“I see two kinds of politicians in Washington—justice politicians and power politicians. Nina Turner is the consummate justice politician, committed to the common good, the common man, and the common woman.”" / Twitter

AOC showed up last weekend in support of NT.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Ohio, thank you for the warm welcome this weekend!

It’s time to send @ninaturner to Congress- because our democracy should belong to everyday people over big money.

Early voting is now open!
Election Day is August 3rd 🗳

Join a phonebanking shift below (link)" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Northeast Ohio - did you know there’s a special election for CONGRESS in 11 days?
Northeast Ohio - did you know there’s a special election for CONGRESS in 11 days? We can all support the community organizers on the ground by taking a tiny bit of of time to phonebank or canvass for @ninaturnerohio.
Let’s show love to this champion for working people, voting rights, a Green New Deal, Medicare for All, living wages, worker rights and more. Check out mobilize.us/ninaturner to join in! Text your Cleveland area /OH-11 friends and fam about it too 💜

Our Revolution on Twitter: ""Canvasses are where the fight gets won. Right here is where the work happens - where we actually get our hands dirty knocking on doors, having conversations with our neighbors and building actual community. There's no replacement for that." - @AOC @ninaturner #HelloSomebody (link)" / Twitter
In her first campaign, AOC did lots of knocking on doors and having conversations with people of her district.

Nina Turner on Twitter: "Rain or shine we are out here knocking doors, organizing our neighbors and working hard to earn the ultimate endorsement — that of Ohio’s working people. We’ve got a full day left of canvassing, phone banking and community meetings.
Thank you Congresswoman @AOC. Pa’lante! ✊🏾 (link)" / Twitter

lpetrich

Contributor
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "What’s up Cleveland! Thank you for the warm welcome! 💪🏽💙

Are you ready to lace up your shoes and start knocking doors for @ninaturner?

I’ll be helping launch canvasses and community meet ups all across the city tomorrow.

Join us locally or remotely: (link)" / Twitter

noting
Nina Turner on Twitter: "We have a huge Weekend of Action coming up with Congresswoman @AOC and we want you to join us! We’re going to lace up our shoes, knock on doors and inspire #OH11 voters 🙌🏾

Tap the link and sign up tonight for our Euclid Canvass to help get out the vote! (link)" / Twitter

About the other side,
Hillary Clinton-endorsed Candidate Shontel Brown Faces Potential Ethics Probe
In April, The Intercept reported that Brown, a Cuyahoga County Councilmember, had voted to award millions worth of contracts to companies connected to her romantic partner and campaign donors. Emails reviewed by The Daily Poster show that the Ohio state auditor's office reviewed the allegations in the article and recently referred the matter to the state ethics commission.
In recent weeks, Brown's campaign and her efforts to paint Turner as a bad Democrat have benefited from high-profile endorsements from the Congressional Black Caucus PAC, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, D-S.C.

Brown has also seen strong support from corporate lobbyists and outside groups, most prominently DMFI PAC, a pro-Israel super PAC whose biggest donor is an oil and gas executive and an heir to a massive fossil fuel fortune.

The corporate think tank Third Way, which recently endorsed legislation encouraging more states to cut federal pandemic-related unemployment benefits, entered the Cleveland race last week, dropping $250,000 on digital ads opposing Turner.

Brown has even received assistance from Donald Trump ally Robert Kraft, the billionaire owner of the New England Patriots.

But Brown's corporate-bankrolled, scorched-earth campaign is also earning detractors. On Monday, Walter Stewart, a local city councilman in Cuyahoga County, posted a video saying he was rescinding his endorsement of Brown because of what he called "phony politics," "big business" and "tit-for-tat negative campaigning."

Instead, said Stewart, "We need someone who is going to stick with the issues, and that person is Nina Turner."

lpetrich

Contributor
Warrensville Heights Councilman Switches Endorsement from Shontel Brown to Nina Turner, Invites Other to Do the Same | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

The Meaning and History of First Names - Behind the Name - I couldn't find "Shontel", but it seems like an English phonetic spelling of "Chantal", a French name.

Over in Buffalo NY, some city councilmembers are considering abolishing the position of mayor in response to India Walton's primary victory, even though they claim that it was a response to her predecessor Byron Brown's governance.

Could Buffalo become a city without a mayor? | News 4 Buffalo

"The Buffalo Common Council is studying a change in the city’s form of government which would abolish the office of mayor."

lpetrich

Contributor
Nina Turner on Twitter: "We knew this would be an uphill battle from the moment we started this campaign.

While we didn’t cross the river, we inspired thousands to dream bigger and expect more.

We couldn’t overcome the influence of dark money, but we left our mark on OH11 and this nation." / Twitter

then
Nina Turner on Twitter: "To every volunteer, supporter, + conscious-minded soul who donated their time, talent, or treasure to our campaign:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Whether you knocked doors or opened your purse, you are part of this movement.

Blessed to be on this journey with you all." / Twitter

The next thing is to figure out why NT lost. Although NT spent more in campaign money than SB, SB had some big outside PAC's on her side, PAC's like Democratic Majority for Israel, PAC's that were willing to spend big money on smears like how NT is against raising the minimum wage and against Medicare for All.

Krystal Ball on Twitter: "Thank you @ninaturner for your fearlessness and your unrelenting commitment to truth telling. These are the qualities that make you powerful and there is no super pac that can change that." / Twitter

Mike Figueredo on Twitter: "If you have a large podcast *cough* and you literally ACTIVELY discouraged your viewers from donating to Nina Turner (when you KNEW how monetarily disadvantaged she was): you get to own this loss too. The DNC thanks you.

Disempowerment politics will be the death of the left." / Twitter

Referring to certain alt-left people, the sort with a grudge against mainstream left-wing politicians like AOC.

I like this:
Paula Jean Swearengin on Twitter: "This is such a heartbreaking loss." / Twitter

I think that she's being sarcastic:
Emma Vigeland on Twitter: "That People’s Party must be thrilled that Nina Turner lost. What a victory to see that McCarthyite imperialist go down. One step closer to Medicare For All!" / Twitter

lpetrich

Contributor
Kara Eastman ran for NE-02 in 2018 and 2020, without success.
Kara Eastman on Twitter: "Hello somebody! Today we are excited to announce the candidates we are ENDORSING for our new PAC, We Have The People PAC! Each of these candidates is INCREDIBLE and is running in a critical, pivotal race. Without further ado, here they are:" / Twitter
Then some tweets on the candidates:

The PAC: We Have The People PAC
  • Nina Turner OH-11 (OH state senator, Bernie Sanders campaigner; she recently lost)
  • Kina Collins IL-07 (activist)
  • Chris Larson WI-SEN (WI state senator)
  • Marie Newman IL-03 (incumbent)
  • Lucas Kunce MO-SEN (activist?)

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
I'm not in Nina Turner's district, but her district, thanks to some creative gerrymandering surrounds almost all of my neighborhood, except the two roads to get out of it, and the streaming I did for the Olympics couldn't tell I wasn't in her district so I got to see it. The ad that was shown quite a bit simply quoted her lack of support of Biden and Clinton... and showed a video of her referring to Biden (and Trump) as a "bowl of shit".

I wasn't happy with Clinton being the nominee. Wasn't happy with Biden. But sure the fuck knew Trump as President was a disastrous proposition, and it turned out worse than we even figured. And anyone that can't see a difference between Trump and Biden has no business in Congress. That isn't being a progressive, that is being petty.

And as much as Nina Turner will want people to forget, she started with a pretty decent lead. She lost that lead as people learned who she was. One thing I did notice in her own ad was a lack of mentioning what party she represented.

marc

Veteran Member
I wasn't happy with Clinton being the nominee. Wasn't happy with Biden. But sure the fuck knew Trump as President was a disastrous proposition, and it turned out worse than we even figured. And anyone that can't see a difference between Trump and Biden has no business in Congress. That isn't being a progressive, that is being petty.
Don't think she was saying they were equally bad. But that Biden and other 'moderate' democrats are just going to be business as usual, so more of the same shit. He doesn't seem to be putting any pressure on Joe Manchin, and has stated his desire to keep the filibuster, so yea, despite promises his term in office is heading that way.

And as much as Nina Turner will want people to forget, she started with a pretty decent lead. She lost that lead as people learned who she was. One thing I did notice in her own ad was a lack of mentioning what party she represented.

More like lost the lead when Clinton and other establishment democrats stared pouring money in for her opponent.

lpetrich

Contributor
Shahid Buttar for Congress on Twitter: "Corporate Democrat Shontel Brown relied on GOP donors while claiming progressive visionary Nina Turner wasn’t a real Democrat.

“[H]ow did they spend all that conservative loot? The same way they always spend it against progressives: lying and smearing...” — Howie Klein" / Twitter

noting
Howie Klein on Twitter: "Lessons From The Nina Turner Race? (link)" / Twitter
noting
Lessons From The Nina Turner Race?
quoting NT: "I am going to work hard to ensure that something like this doesn’t happen to another progressive candidate again. We didn’t lose this race, evil money manipulated and maligned this election."

Author Howie Klein: "The Israel lobby got another scalp of another Black progressive daring to challenge it."

He then went into the history of AIPAC vs. black politicians who challenge Israel.
In 2002, Earl Hilliard, the first Black person to have served Alabama in Congress since Reconstruction, was getting close to a decade of seniority. The year before, Hilliard voted against a bill funding increases in military support to Israel and opposing criminalization of Palestinians. He was defeated by a shameless, AIPAC-financed political hack and careerist, Artur Davis, a viciously homophobic Blue Dog who voted against Obamacare, switched to the GOP, then back to the Democratic Party again to run, unsuccessfully, for office again and then back to the GOP. Davis was followed by another obedient, conservative Democrat, New Dem Terri Sewell.

In 1992, the same year Hilliard had been elected to Congress, Cynthia McKinney became the first-ever Black woman to represent Georgia in the House. In 2002, AIPAC got her too and replaced her with another pointless hack, Denise Majette, who was heavily supported by white Republicans in the black majority district. McKinney ran and won again two years later. In 2006 she was forced into a runoff with DeKalb County Commissioner Hank Johnson, who beat her and isn't a bad member the way Artur Davis and Terri Sewell have been. Still, Israel was rid of a very sharp thorn in its side.
SB he describes as "another pointless-- and corrupt-- establishment hack" She won because "Brown's big spending allies having appealed to white Republicans to stop Nina in the open primary." I wouldn't be surprised if she -- or DMFI -- got some Republicans to vote for her.

"Even before Nina was defeated, the establishment was gleeful."

lpetrich

Contributor
HK then listed who endorsed who:

Nina Turner: Bernie Sanders, Ed Markey, AOC, Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Ted Lieu, Jamaal Bowman, Mondaire Jones, Katie Porter, Jamie Raskin, Pramila Jayapal, Andy Levin, Ro Khanna, Mark Pocan

Shontel Brown: Jim Clyburn, Joyce Beatty (the payday lending bag lady), Josh Gottheimer, Pete Aguilar, Greg Meeks, Ted Deutch (Likud-FL), Brad Schneider, David Trone, Bennie Thompson, Troy Carter

"Brown was also backed by the New Dems, the Congressional Black Caucus, Mark Mellman's Democratic Majority for Israel (generously financed by Big Oil), Jewish Democratic Council of America, and Pro-Israel America."

HK then listed several of DMFI's supporters, including big supporters of Republican politicians who also donated to SB's campaign.

Democratic Super PAC Condemned for 'Sleazy' and False Attacks on Nina Turner | Common Dreams News -- the DMFI
One reporter described a new mailer, which falsely accuses Turner of opposing universal healthcare and a higher minimum wage, as "wildly dishonest."

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Don't think she was saying they were equally bad.
"Two bowls of shit". Doesn't matter if she isn't Moore-Coultering it, there is no comparison between the two. Trump was a cancer, Biden a conservative moderate Democrat.

But that Biden and other 'moderate' democrats are just going to be business as usual, so more of the same shit. He doesn't seem to be putting any pressure on Joe Manchin, and has stated his desire to keep the filibuster, so yea, despite promises his term in office is heading that way.
This is the problem of have a 50-50 tie in the Senate. What leverage do you think Biden has? It is a miracle we even have a 50-50 tie! And it was an alleged "progressive" in Nina Turner who wasn't part of that. Meanwhile Biden and the Dems are trying to use reconciliation more than once in a year to try and get a larger package passed. That is stretching the limits of their power given the unholy obstruction they face with the GOP.

More like lost the lead when Clinton and other establishment democrats stared pouring money in for her opponent.
The commercial I saw just quoted her and played a video of her making a very poor comparison between Biden and Trump. Nothing nefarious, nothing taken out of context.

We need fewer alleged progressives like her because she can't solve problems, she couldn't get legislation past in the House.

lpetrich

Contributor
HK then quoted Marianne Williamson, who ran for President last year and who supports several candidates.
One of Nina's early backers, Marianne Williamson, told me this morning that "Turner’s defeat feels like it might be the final nail in the coffin, an end to any illusion that corporatist Democratic leadership will allow a progressive to get anywhere near the seat of power. It’s like they feel they were out-maeuvered by the squad getting past the gates and they’re going to make sure it doesn’t happen again. They used every trick in the book, every cheap and nasty and corrupt tool in their toolbox, to defeat Nina's extraordinary American voice for the people and instead bring in a party pol who will presumably do as she is told. Where we go with that I’m not sure. But after two elections in which Bernie’s candidacies were suppressed, my own experience as a presidential candidate, and now Nina’s defeat at the hands of their shenanigans, I’m at the point you come to in any relationship when you realize the other person isn’t going to change and it’s ridiculous to think they will."

She said that she'll "continue to work hard for grassroots Democratic candidates. But we need to start thinking about 2024 and this makes it clear that all Democrats will be willing to offer is a Biden, Harris, Amy, Pete, or some facsimile thereof; any progressive running for the nomination will be on a fool’s errand. Once again, I don’t know the answer. But according to the poet Rilke, when you don’t know the answer you simply live the question. The answer will come. In the meantime, my heart is with Nina today. She fought the good fight. She didn’t win the political war but she won the moral one. She stood up for the people, she stood up for justice and she stood up for love." Please consider helping Marianne support progressive candidates by clicking on the thermometer above and contributing what you can.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
HK then quoted Marianne Williamson, who ran for President last year and who supports several candidates.
One of Nina's early backers, Marianne Williamson, told me this morning that "Turner’s defeat feels like it might be the final nail in the coffin, an end to any illusion that corporatist Democratic leadership will allow a progressive to get anywhere near the seat of power. It’s like they feel they were out-maeuvered by the squad getting past the gates and they’re going to make sure it doesn’t happen again. They used every trick in the book, every cheap and nasty and corrupt tool in their toolbox, to defeat Nina's extraordinary American voice for the people and instead bring in a party pol who will presumably do as she is told. Where we go with that I’m not sure. But after two elections in which Bernie’s candidacies were suppressed, my own experience as a presidential candidate, and now Nina’s defeat at the hands of their shenanigans, I’m at the point you come to in any relationship when you realize the other person isn’t going to change and it’s ridiculous to think they will."

She said that she'll "continue to work hard for grassroots Democratic candidates. But we need to start thinking about 2024 and this makes it clear that all Democrats will be willing to offer is a Biden, Harris, Amy, Pete, or some facsimile thereof; any progressive running for the nomination will be on a fool’s errand. Once again, I don’t know the answer. But according to the poet Rilke, when you don’t know the answer you simply live the question. The answer will come. In the meantime, my heart is with Nina today. She fought the good fight. She didn’t win the political war but she won the moral one. She stood up for the people, she stood up for justice and she stood up for love." Please consider helping Marianne support progressive candidates by clicking on the thermometer above and contributing what you can.

I'm sorry to say but Nina lost because she had fewer votes than Brown. Period. There is no evil cabals of "corporate democratic meanies" conspiring to hold back the far left. The voters in Ohio liked Brown a little bit more than Nina. A tiny majority of dem voters liked Biden a little more than Sanders. A smaller majority liked Hillary slightly more than Sanders. People like Marianne alleging conspiracies to steal the vote are no better than the Trump voter crazies alleging conspiracies.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Jebus! Long since the days of Eugene Debs who struggled hard to get worker rights and Norman Thomas, a conscience of America, that we have today, supporting the progressive cause and being cited, Marianne Williamson.

It is like they call themselves progressives, and we are supposed to just accept it. Anyone else notice that $3 trillion extending the definition of "infrastructure" bill Schumer, Biden and the corporate Democrats are trying to get through an evenly split Senate? These alleged progressives are fucking idiots. They don't know how to fight for a cause. All they do is whine that things aren't how they like it. Then try to put someone into a race in an area way too moderate and then blame others for their loss. If these people won, they'd have no fucking clue how to run things or how to be progressive.

lpetrich

Contributor
I'm sorry to say but Nina lost because she had fewer votes than Brown. Period. There is no evil cabals of "corporate democratic meanies" conspiring to hold back the far left. The voters in Ohio liked Brown a little bit more than Nina. A tiny majority of dem voters liked Biden a little more than Sanders. A smaller majority liked Hillary slightly more than Sanders. People like Marianne alleging conspiracies to steal the vote are no better than the Trump voter crazies alleging conspiracies.
Let's see what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot. Like if your favorite candidate lost because an opposing candidate had a massively-funded outside-money campaign that involved horrible smears, like saying that your candidate was for lots of extreme positions.

That's a downside of representative democracy - elections turning into shouting matches.

Also, why not weep for Rep. Joe Crowley in 2018? Rep. Mike Capuano?

Briahna Joy Gray: Nina Turner DEFEATED Thanks To DARK MONEY, Here’s What Progressives MUST Learn - YouTube -- part of iSB was getting a lot of Republican-leaning voters to vote against NT, something possible because Ohio's primaries are open primaries. She also noted that something similar happened in South Carolina -- getting out the votes of Republican-leaning suburbanites.

More broadly, that's a problem with open partisan primaries. People from outside the party might show up and cause mischief. I think that we should make all primaries nonpartisan, with the top-performing candidates continuing to the general election. Something like what CA and WA now do with their top-two system. If nothing else, it's made for some genuinely competitive general elections, with two Democrats or two Republicans up against each other. Like last year, Nancy Pelosi being challenged on her left by a fellow Democrat.

Finally, has SB ever laid out what kind of policy vision she wants? Anything comparable to what NT did? Not that I know of. There is nothing to say that a centrist candidate cannot lay out some policy vision or some agenda, and right-wing candidates often do so.

Derec

Contributor
Let's see what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot. Like if your favorite candidate lost because an opposing candidate had a massively-funded outside-money campaign
Nina Turner also had a massively-funded outside-money campaign.

Nina Turner leads Shontel Brown in fundraising as out-of-state money bolsters both congressional campaigns

But I guess her money is good money, but Brown's money is evil money. What a hypocrite!

that involved horrible smears, like saying that your candidate was for lots of extreme positions.
Well, she does. That's why the far left loves her to begin with!

Those two are head and shoulders above those that replaced them. You might add Elliott Engel to that list too.

What makes Shontel Brown's money "dark" but Nina Turner's not? Green is green!

-- part of iSB was getting a lot of Republican-leaning voters to vote against NT, something possible because Ohio's primaries are open primaries. She also noted that something similar happened in South Carolina -- getting out the votes of Republican-leaning suburbanites.
In a non-competitive district like OH-11 primaries are the only real venue for the supporters of the minority party to weigh in. Closing the primaries would make candidate running practically unopposed in those districts more fringe and more extreme. On both sides of the aisle. That is definitely not something we should want for the Congress and for our country.

More broadly, that's a problem with open partisan primaries. People from outside the party might show up and cause mischief.
It is not mischief to vote for Brown because you like her better and that she would be a better representative for the district. Cross-over voting is only mischief if for example you vote for Bernie Sanders (or Donald Trump, <Homer>Doh!</Homer>) because you think he'd be easy to beat in the general. Such "Operation Chaos" style voting does not work well in uncompetitive districts for obvious reasons.

I think that we should make all primaries nonpartisan, with the top-performing candidates continuing to the general election. Something like what CA and WA now do with their top-two system. If nothing else, it's made for some genuinely competitive general elections, with two Democrats or two Republicans up against each other. Like last year, Nancy Pelosi being challenged on her left by a fellow Democrat.
That's a good idea.

Finally, has SB ever laid out what kind of policy vision she wants? Anything comparable to what NT did? Not that I know of. There is nothing to say that a centrist candidate cannot lay out some policy vision or some agenda, and right-wing candidates often do so.

You think SB is a "right-wing candidate"?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Let's see what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot. Like if your favorite candidate lost because an opposing candidate had a massively-funded outside-money campaign that involved horrible smears, like saying that your candidate was for lots of extreme positions.
Or calling President Biden (well, Candidate Biden at the time) a "bowl of shit"? What do you see in her? She is not a builder.

That's a downside of representative democracy - elections turning into shouting matches.
And Turner was shouting out against Clinton and Biden.

Derec

Contributor
HK then listed who endorsed who:
Nina Turner: Bernie Sanders, Ed Markey, AOC, Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Ted Lieu, Jamaal Bowman, Mondaire Jones, Katie Porter, Jamie Raskin, Pramila Jayapal, Andy Levin, Ro Khanna, Mark Pocan
Who's who of the far, anti-Israel left.

Shontel Brown: Jim Clyburn, Joyce Beatty (the payday lending bag lady),
Explain.

Josh Gottheimer, Pete Aguilar, Greg Meeks, Ted Deutch (Likud-FL),
Ted Deutsch is a Democrat. I guess in that vein we have Nina Turner (Hamas-OH), Rashida Tlaib (Hamas-MI), Ilhan Omar (Hamas-MN) and so on.

Brad Schneider, David Trone, Bennie Thompson, Troy Carter

Mark Mellman's Democratic Majority for Israel (generously financed by Big Oil), Jewish Democratic Council of America, and Pro-Israel America."
Ah, the two things the far Left loves to hate - Israel and oil. Never mind that Palestinians keep attacking Israel all the time and that Israel is attacked for defending itself from Islamic terrorist aggression. And never mind that we all use oil either directly in cars we drive or indirectly by ordering online of buying in stores who get their products by truck even if you yourself bike there. Then there is the use of oil as feedstock for different products such as polymers.

HK then listed several of DMFI's supporters, including big supporters of Republican politicians who also donated to SB's campaign.

Democratic Super PAC Condemned for 'Sleazy' and False Attacks on Nina Turner | Common Dreams News -- the DMFI
One reporter described a new mailer, which falsely accuses Turner of opposing universal healthcare and a higher minimum wage, as "wildly dishonest."
Can't take you seriously if you quote Common Dreams.

lpetrich

Contributor
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez talks to 3News during campaign event for Nina Turner - YouTube - she showed up to campaign for NT. I like the part at the end where she endorsed the Cleveland baseball team changing its name from Indians to Guardians. That's after some "guardian" statues on some city bridge.

She said that this was her second time in Cleveland. Her first time was likely on her way to Standing Rock back in late 2016.

Nina Turner Campaign rally with AOC - YouTube
AOC talked about knocking on the doors of people whose doors haven't been knocked on by many campaigners. The conventional wisdom was to knock only on the doors of those who voted in the last three elections -- triple primes -- and she violated that. She succeeded. She also described how inspiring NT was when she was thinking of running for office -- NT had worked for Bernie Sanders's campaign. She recalls NT showing up early in her campaign, along with Cori Bush. So she's returning the favor.

NT didn't feel upstaged by AOC, and she delivered a fiery speech of her own. In it, she said that patriotism should not preclude criticizing one's nation, and that such criticism can be out of love.

Harry Bosch

Contributor

Briahna Joy Gray: Nina Turner DEFEATED Thanks To DARK MONEY, Here’s What Progressives MUST Learn - YouTube -- part of iSB was getting a lot of Republican-leaning voters to vote against NT, something possible because Ohio's primaries are open primaries. She also noted that something similar happened in South Carolina -- getting out the votes of Republican-leaning suburbanites.

More broadly, that's a problem with open partisan primaries. People from outside the party might show up and cause mischief. I think that we should make all primaries nonpartisan, with the top-performing candidates continuing to the general election. Something like what CA and WA now do with their top-two system. If nothing else, it's made for some genuinely competitive general elections, with two Democrats or two Republicans up against each other. Like last year, Nancy Pelosi being challenged on her left by a fellow Democrat.

2016 election was a big reminder that spending dosn't always decide elections. HRC overspent Trump. Mike Bloomberg always dramatically overspends his opponents. He always loses. He just isn't likable. I think that there just a few more voters who liked Brown more than Nina. Brown has charisma and appeals to a broad base of voters that might get her elected against the republican. That's the biggest issue to me: defeat Trump and his henchmen.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor

2016 election was a big reminder that spending dosn't always decide elections. HRC overspent Trump. Mike Bloomberg always dramatically overspends his opponents. He always loses. He just isn't likable. I think that there just a few more voters who liked Brown more than Nina. Brown has charisma and appeals to a broad base of voters that might get her elected against the republican. That's the biggest issue to me: defeat Trump and his henchmen.
Turner/Brown were vying for a House seat that is grossly gerrymandered. The winner was likely going to win the General Election easily. Turner, however, had less broad support and, to me, comes across primarily as an anti-establishment candidate, not a progressive.

southernhybrid

Contributor
I prefer open primaires because that way I can vote against a horrible Republican asshole, if the Democrats only have one candidate running, or two similar candidates. When Ralph Reed ran for our Lt. Governor, a lot of my friends and I voted in the Republican primary because we didn't want him to win his primary. It did make me feel dirty requesting a Republican ballot, but it was worth it since he lost.

I'm not a far left progressive, partly because most of those folks don't understand compromise and they are often insanely unrealistic. I didn't follow the Ohio primary, but I'm glad it went the way it did. The US has always been center right or center left. Imo, it's potentially dangerous to go too far in either direction. We can see that on the Right these days. Of course, I will vote for someone who seems a bit too progressive for my taste if the other option is a conservative.

I love candidates like Stacey Abrams. She is what I like to call a pragmatic progressive. She is brilliant, charismatic and she knows how to raise huge sums of money. She understands the art of compromise and she's great at getting out the vote.

But, as has been pointed out, money doesn't win elections or we would have a lot more Democrats in office by now, as they proved they can raise huge sums of money, mostly due to small donations. Harrison raised far more money than Graham in 2020, but he lost by a huge margin. Money is needed to run a good campaign, but it doesn't win elections.

lpetrich

Contributor
Jessica Cisneros on Twitter: "Let's get it done. #TX28 (link)" / Twitter

Jessica Cisneros will again challenge U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar | The Texas Tribune
"Cuellar’s campaign confirmed that the congressman, who has served since 2005, will seek another term in 2022."

Texas' 28th Congressional District election, 2020 - Ballotpedia - HC won the Democratic primary by only 3.6%. He won the general election by 19.3%.
“I think a lot of folks saw themselves reflected in the campaign last cycle, and even though we did come up a little bit short, I feel like a lot of South Texans were left with hope because we asked them to envision something that was almost impossible — or what people said was impossible — last time around,” Cisneros said in an interview.

Cisneros said the coronavirus pandemic has only amplified the case against Cuellar, saying he did not “step up in the way that we wanted him to to meet the moment to advocate for bold policies that would help South Texas.” In a launch video, she provided a fresh list of criticisms of Cuellar’s time in office since the last primary, including his work with Republicans on border legislation and the fact he was the only Democrat to vote against a sweeping overhaul of labor laws. She also criticized his help in securing $500,000 worth of coronavirus tests for Laredo that turned out to be unreliable.

“You would think that coming so close to losing his seat was a wake-up call, but it wasn’t,” Cisneros said in the interview.
However,
“We beat her handily last time,” spokesperson Colin Stother said, “and we’ll beat her by an even larger margin this time.”
Handily? With such a small margin, they ought to have been running scared.

Justice Democrats is now endorsing her.

Jessica Cisneros on Twitter: "🚨 Wow! We raised over $100,000 in less than NINE HOURS since launching our campaign!

I am so grateful for all the support from my community. Thank you so much. #TX28 (vid link)" / Twitter

then
Waleed Shahid on Twitter: "Incredible. @JCisnerosTX has broken the record of fastest @JusticeDems primary challenger to hit $100,000 previously held by @RanaForCongress (10 hours) and held by @JCisnerosTX before that (48 hours in 2019)." / Twitter

lpetrich

Contributor
I prefer open primaires because that way I can vote against a horrible Republican asshole, if the Democrats only have one candidate running, or two similar candidates. When Ralph Reed ran for our Lt. Governor, a lot of my friends and I voted in the Republican primary because we didn't want him to win his primary. It did make me feel dirty requesting a Republican ballot, but it was worth it since he lost.
The trouble is that Republicans can also do that to Democrats.
I'm not a far left progressive, partly because most of those folks don't understand compromise and they are often insanely unrealistic.
Although that is difficult to argue with in principle, a certain kind of compromise is a bad compromise: compromising in advance. That's what Barack Obama did, and all he got was the Republicans continuing to obstruct him. All they had to do is obstruct him and he would move closer and closer to his position.
But, as has been pointed out, money doesn't win elections or we would have a lot more Democrats in office by now, as they proved they can raise huge sums of money, mostly due to small donations. Harrison raised far more money than Graham in 2020, but he lost by a huge margin. Money is needed to run a good campaign, but it doesn't win elections.
Let's not forget about independent-expenditure PACs like the Democratic Majority for Israel. It spent a huge amount of money on ads attacking Nina Turner.

Imagine if George Soros got into this game by founding a PAC that campaigns on the behalf of progressive candidates while maintaining the appearance of independence. Would that be OK? Or is it only OK if the Right does that?

Derec

Contributor
The trouble is that Republicans can also do that to Democrats.
That is not trouble. We would be better off as a country if we had more moderate and fewer fringy, extremist elected officials from both sides of the aisle.

Although that is difficult to argue with in principle, a certain kind of compromise is a bad compromise: compromising in advance. That's what Barack Obama did, and all he got was the Republicans continuing to obstruct him. All they had to do is obstruct him and he would move closer and closer to his position.
And yet he accomplished a lot, most of all ACA.

Let's not forget about independent-expenditure PACs like the Democratic Majority for Israel. It spent a huge amount of money on ads attacking Nina Turner.
Can you blame them, given that NT is openly anti-Israel and is allied with antisemites like Tlaib and Omar?

Imagine if George Soros got into this game by founding a PAC that campaigns on the behalf of progressive candidates while maintaining the appearance of independence. Would that be OK? Or is it only OK if the Right does that?

George Soros does have a SuperPAC, with an innocuous-sounding name "Democracy PAC".
Soros launches super PAC for 2020

lpetrich

Contributor
Nina Turner also had a massively-funded outside-money campaign. ...

But I guess her money is good money, but Brown's money is evil money. What a hypocrite!
Let's not forget outside-money spending, like by DMFI.

Let's imagine that the shoe was on the other foot. Like George Soros financing a PAC that spent a lot of money in support of a progressive candidate. Or some Russian troll farm.
Those two are head and shoulders above those that replaced them. You might add Elliott Engel to that list too.
How so?

Joe Crowley ought to kick himself about taking his presumed seat for granted. Consider this: AOC Schools Her Opponent… On His Direct Mail | HackerAgency
She goes on to show that the back of her mailer clearly lays out why you would vote for her—what issues she cares about and what she wants to change. (And she doesn’t point it out, but I can’t help but notice her mailer is bilingual.)
However,
AOC then holds up Crowley’s booklet again.

“Where’s the primary date on this? When you first see it—when you first pull it out of your mailbox?”

She goes on to mock herself a bit, saying, “Alex, you’re being too harsh. You’re being way too harsh, give him a chance. Okay, let’s give him a chance. Let’s open it up.”

She opens it up.

“Okay, we’ve got this big, beautiful spread here. WHERE’S THE PRIMARY DATE?”

Spoiler: It’s nowhere.
AOC's bf then slammed Democratic campaign consultants as "garbage" for coming up with campaign material like that.

Derec said:
lpetrich said:
I think that we should make all primaries nonpartisan, with the top-performing candidates continuing to the general election. Something like what CA and WA now do with their top-two system. If nothing else, it's made for some genuinely competitive general elections, with two Democrats or two Republicans up against each other. Like last year, Nancy Pelosi being challenged on her left by a fellow Democrat.
That's a good idea.
Good that we agree on something.
You think SB is a "right-wing candidate"?
No, a centrist who seems like some party apparatchik who brags about her loyalty.

lpetrich

Contributor
Shahid Buttar for Congress on Twitter: "“Many observers have noted the role [of] lies promoted by establishment Democrats in…yesterday’s special election. Having faced…even more vicious and unapologetically racist…lies in our race, I share a…pattern that has repeated itself from MA to CA….” (link)" / Twitter
noting
Guest Post By Shahid Buttar: Lies Punching Left Are A Pattern
Watching Nina Turner’s defeat at the hands of the Democratic establishment’s games felt eerily familiar. Many observers have noted the role played by the various lies promoted by establishment Democrats in the weeks leading up to yesterday’s special election. Having faced a similar-- frankly, even more vicious and unapologetically racist-- set of lies in our race, I offer a warning based on a pattern that has repeated itself from Massachusetts to California in the last year alone.

In OH-11, attack ads funded by establishment Democratic PACs, and even GOP donors, flooded the airwaves in Akron and Cleveland making false claims about Nina Turner’s policy positions. The ads didn’t take issue with the policies she supported, such as universal healthcare or climate justice, but they did affirmatively mischaracterize her positions and attack her as a disingenuous voice based on her (entirely legitimately) critiques of Joe Biden.

This pattern of weaponized lies fabricated to punch left is not new, however.
A big example of such hippie-punching by mainstream Democrats is Bill Clinton slamming Sister Souljah in 1992. Dorf on Law: It's Always Hippie-Punching Time for the Supposedly Liberal Media

The only big hippie-punching I know of on the Right is William F. Buckley's attacks on the John Birch Society in the early 1960's. But I don't see any Republican politicians doing hippie-punching against Trumpies.

Derec

Contributor
Let's not forget outside-money spending, like by DMFI.

Vast majority of NT's money came from outside too. Just say what you are really thinking: "evil Jewish money" ...

Let's imagine that the shoe was on the other foot. Like George Soros financing a PAC that spent a lot of money in support of a progressive candidate. Or some Russian troll farm.
Soros does have a pro-left superPAC. Not sure whether he employs Russian troll farms, but I would not put it past him.

For one, they know that Israel is a democracy and an important ally and they also know how the economy works, unlike the DSA congress critters. A lot of "Squad" types also want to defund police.

Joe Crowley ought to kick himself about taking his presumed seat for granted.

In hindsight, he should have done more, true, but that says nothing about being in Congress vs. running for it. You seem to be focusing on AOC's primary run - where she won with mere 17k votes - and not on what she's been doing once in power.

No, a centrist who seems like some party apparatchik who brags about her loyalty.

Pretty funny to call her a "party apparatchik" when it is NT who is the socialist ...

Top Bottom