• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats trying to unseat each other II

Entire Staff of Nevada Democratic Party Quits After DSA Slate Won Every Seat - The Intercept
The battle between the insurgent progressive wing of the party and what’s known in Nevada as the Reid machine — a tightly run operation still guided by former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid — began five years ago, when Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders organized support for his 2016 presidential primary run, while Reid was working behind the scenes to help his opponent, Hillary Clinton.
Then on how that progressive bloc grew and got the top spots in that state's Democratic Party.
The mass exodus of party staff, despite the rhetoric around unity, wasn’t a shock, Whitmer told The Intercept. “We weren’t really surprised, in that we were prepared for it,” she said. “But what hit us by surprise and was sort of shocking is that for a slate that claimed that they were all about unity, and kept this false narrative of division going on throughout the entire campaign — in fact they kept intensifying that — that’s what was surprising about it, was the willingness to just walk away, instead of working with us.”

Reid also wanted the caucus to help build the party’s infrastructure, and that worked too. After years of Republican control, Democrats now hold the governor’s mansion, the state Senate, and the state House, as well as both U.S. Senate seats. Without those two senators, there’d be no Democratic majority in the Senate today. But the caucuses also created an opening for Sanders, and his supporters have run through it to swamp the party. Instead of finding a way to work with the newcomers, the Reid machine is setting up an independent shop. Reid declined to comment.
This seems like some left-wing version of what the Tea Partiers and the Trumpies have been doing to the Republican Party.

POLITICO Playbook PM: AOC officially kills the DCCC blacklist - POLITICO
Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) is the new head of the DCCC.
Though it was in place for fewer than two years, it still stymied some liberal primary challengers and incensed the left, which celebrated its end.

“It's an enormous win," Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said in a recent interview, before Maloney's decision was formally announced, noting the move would open "a door for our party to leverage strength from all parts of it.”

“The escalation and aggression against the progressive wing of the party with an explicit forward-facing 'blacklist' created a lot of dissuasion against candidates even considering grassroots organizing firms," she said.

Maloney reversed a policy created by his predecessor, Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Ill.), in a somewhat tacit acknowledgment that it had backfired.

The D.C.C.C. Blacklist Is No More - The New York Times
When she challenged Representative Joe Crowley in 2018, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez did it by knocking on over 100,000 doors in her New York City district, calling even more people’s phones, and sending out still more text messages.

But it wasn’t just sweat equity that did the trick. Composed mostly of young activists and strategists who’d worked for Senator Bernie Sanders’s presidential run two years earlier, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s technology team developed an innovative tool to find voters who might have been missed in traditional door-knocking campaigns.

After she upset Mr. Crowley in a landslide, her team of techies gave their new tool a name, Reach, and they formed a company to assist other progressive campaigns. But one place where they found their services weren’t wanted was at the very top: the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
The DCCC then decided to boycott campaign consultants who accepted work from candidates who try to primary incumbents.

Rep. Maloney's spokesman Chris Taylor announced the policy change. “This policy change means that the only criteria for a vendor to be listed in the directory are our standards for fair business practices,” he said.
Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said she believed lifting the ban would open up the Democratic Party to some of the best digital campaigners in the country.

“Having that ban really hurt the party,” she said in an interview. “When I first was sworn in, when one of the party’s first moves was to say, ‘We are going to ban anyone that helped you get here,’ it was very personal.”

She added: “It felt like a very targeted message of saying, ‘You’re not welcome. And anyone who helped you get here is not welcome.’”
AOC was annoyed by what she considered the incompetent campaigning of some of the losers last year. She also said that nobody asked her what she thought that her first opponent, Joe Crowley, did wrong.

Waleed Shahid of Justice Democrats: “Because over 70 percent of congressional districts do not have a competitive general election, there is so much innovation happening in competitive primaries,” he said. Yes, a primary ought to be more than a coronation of a party favorite.
Mr. Shahid argued that the party was harming itself by disallowing tools such as Reach to be used in any of its campaigns. “That happened to some of the best digital vendors in the country,” he said. “They work on a lot of progressive primary campaigns, and they can’t work for the party’s handpicked candidates.”
But that might mean an informal blacklist instead.
“I would hate to see the D.C.C.C. go back to an informal blacklist, which is what their policy used to be,” Mr. Shahid said. “But it is a step forward to not have an explicit blacklist.”

More and more. Looks like they are starting early because they have a long road ahead of them, making themselves known to their hoped-for constituents.

Ally Dalsimer for Congress🦉 on Twitter: "I'm Ally Dalsimer, and I am running for Congress in Virginia's 11th District. We are running a fully grassroots campaign, so join the movement - it's time to put people first. Together we can make a real difference! (links)" / Twitter

She names who she's running against:
Ally Dalsimer for Congress🦉 on Twitter: "So let me get this straight: @GerryConnolly claims he’s a progressive, but voted against @CoriBush’s voter rights restoration amendment? Something’s not adding up there. Luckily, there’s a real progressive running to represent VA-11 in 2022." / Twitter

Angelica Dueñas for Congress 🍞🌹🌎 on Twitter: "It's official. #AngelicaForCongress2022 #OurValley #CA29 (link)" / Twitter

Matt King for Congress on Twitter: "@AOC I’m a progressive running for Congress in 2022 in Houston. Thank you for stepping up and showing what a leader should be. Thank you for helping our town.

I, like a lot of my neighbors had thousands of dollars in damage to my home, luckily we are ok, but many Texans aren’t." / Twitter

He's running for TX-22

Brittany for Congress on Twitter: "My name is Brittany Ramos DeBarros. I'm a proud Afro-Latina Staten Islander, community organizer, and progressive combat veteran running to fight for #NY11 in Congress. It's time for Trump's favorite NY Republican, Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, to go! #BrittanyForCongress (link)" / Twitter

Leftists 4 Office on Twitter: "While we are focusing organising efforts on the special elections with @GaryChambersJr @ASL4Justice4all and @ninaturner as well as the municipal elections across the country, there is an ever growing list of progressives and leftists running for congress in 2022. (pix link)" / Twitter

I've taken that list and merged it with Marianne Williamson's list.

House (31): Derek Marshall CA-08, **Maebe A. Girl CA-28, **Angelica Dueñas CA-29, Antoinette Sedillo Lopez CA-30, Shervin Aazami CA-30, Michael Tolar CA-38, **Liam O'Mara CA-42, **Ike McCorkle CO-04, Matt Boswell FL-20, **Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick FL-20, **Christine Olivo FL-24, Raleigh Bowman IL-05, Liam Dorris IN-09, Gary Chambers LA-02, **Michael Ruiz MA-08, Mia Mason MD-01, Colin Byrd MD-05, **Mckayla Wilkes MD-05, Aruna Miller MD-06, Raleigh Bowman NC-11, **Isiah James NY-09, Nina Turner OH-11, **Daniel Kilgore OH-15, **Amanda Siebe OR-01, --**Mark Gamba OR-05, **Salem Snow PA-02, Meg Gorman TN-01, Jessica Mason TX-30, Josh Bowden UT-01, Ally Dalsimer VA-11, **Jason Call WA-02

Senate (7): **Dan Whitfield AR, Allen Ellison FL, --**Charles Booker KY, Erica Smith NC, Brandaun Dean PA, John Fetterman PA, Tom Nelson WI

State Governors (1): Lee Carter VA

** Previously ran
-- Hasn't officially decided to run yet

Home | Hertime - Katie Hill's PAC is now endorsing candidates. Like AOC and Katie Porter and Ayanna Pressley and Lauren Underwood.

The site's endorsement page has "Candidates we look forward to seeing more of in the Future!" - those that lost in last year's elections.

There's some recent drama llama about Brand New Congress.

Brand New Congress on Twitter: "Six months ago a group of dedicated staff and volunteers came to the BNC board to raise concerns about their barriers to full participation and inclusion within our org. We listened and took comprehensive action. You can read about our ongoing work here. (link)" / Twitter
noting
Employees, volunteers reignite BNC’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion | by Brand New Congress | Mar, 2021 | Medium

Zeynab Day on Twitter: "Fellow progressives have reached out to me about what happened at Brand New Congress following a statement released regarding DEI issues at the org. All have asked about my experiences, &a my recent termination. For the sake of transparency, I'm sharing some of my story today. (pix link)" / Twitter
I was terminated by this organization in February, without a clear indication of why, and without resolution of complaints of descrimination and retaliation I filed with the Board of Directors. As of the date of the termination I had not been informed of next steps to resolving the valid and founded claims brought forward. I was terminated without consultation or representation from Human Resources, or discussion of past grievances and how those might be affecting the decision to terminate my current role. These inactions run counter to the claims of progress made in Brand New Congress' current statement.

That is only a small fraction of my personal experiences that involved discriminatory labor practices, devaluation, inequitable treatment, and emotional harm. I'll let others speak to theirs. I do still believe in reshaping Congress to better represent the American people. As someone who helped draft the core of the 21st Century Bill of Rights at Brand New Congress, I still hold true to those values. I write today to say that voices of people of color, women, the marginalized and disenfranchised communities can be overshadowed in our own movements. We often perpetuate sexism, misogyny, white supremacy, inequitable employment practices and descrimination within our own circles. These issues can remain unseen by many stakeholders.

Paula Jean Swearengin on Twitter: "I am no longer affiliated @BrandNew535. I can't speak for the leadership but I can speak for myself. I don't support racism or discrimination." / Twitter

Paula Jean Swearengin on Twitter: "A former employee received an outrageous gag order as a bargaining tool for separation severance. She wouldn't sign it. I finally got a copy of it yesterday. I take discrimination complaints very seriously. I no longer want to be a part of BNC." / Twitter
That was Zeynab Dey

PJS tweeted some image files showing ZD's severance agreement.

Renee Johnston on Twitter: "I stand with @paulajean2020 and @ZeynabDay and will also share my story. As a part of the DEI group my experience was one of the catalysts for the letter that was ultimately written to the Board which is briefly glossed over in the article published by @BrandNew535. In time the (link)" / Twitter
On May 12, 2019, I watched Knock Down the House and was moved by the work Brand New Congress did in an effort to pursue the mission of getting real people into Congress. I immediately signed on in hopes of finding a way to focus my energy and desire to make thin better. After weeks of trying to understand what purpose volunteers actually served, I was disappointed to discover that the path to achieving the progressive mission was not clear.

Onboarding was lengthy and failed to provide consistent communication. When was finally included in meetings, the conversations were lengthy, but did not lead to action. I was bounced around between multiple initiatives and there seemed to be little organization with regard to adequately managing volunteers.
Seems like mismanagement and poor coordination.

PRAXIS REBEL #ReviveDemocracy 🚨 #FreeAssange on Twitter: "@RJohnston815 @paulajean2020 @ZeynabDay @BrandNew535 I was eagerly reading the first slide and then noticed it didn't continue and the second pic on this tweet is the same as the one below.

I was inspired when BNC formed in 2017 but became disillusioned with them when it was clear that "national" didn't listen to local leaders." / Twitter

MJ on Twitter: "@RJohnston815 @paulajean2020 @ZeynabDay @BrandNew535 I got choked up when reading that you watched Knock Down the House and was compelled to join this org. You are like so many in this movement so hungry for chg & instead you experienced a microclimate of the very things this org is supposed to be addressing." / Twitter

Paula Jean Swearengin on Twitter: "I reached out to the @BrandNew535 board & executive director about my abusive campaign manager months ago. The board chair is actively advocating for my abuser as a paid employee with a mutual vendor. Why are they actively supporting a man that I am afraid of?
#MeToo" / Twitter

Aeiramique Glass Blake - Ballotpedia
She ran for CA-51 but dropped out before the primary because of health problems. She's back again, running for CA State Assembly District 79 in San Diego.

Vote Progressive Aeiramique Glass Blake For CA State Assembly 2021 - YouTube
Aeiramique Glass Blake for State Assembly
A special election: primary on April 6, general on June 8.

AGB talked about the four other candidates. One of them is apparently a black woman who is a daughter of the previous officeholder. Another is a labor-union person, and another is someone who is very establishment, someone who got their money from the Democratic leadership in Sacramento.

Zeynab Day on Twitter: "@paulajean2020 @BrandNew535 BNC made this statement today. Paula called earlier to hear from the voices of those harmed. I was one of those harmed by BNC practices, founder of the DEI group, and was recently terminated. I thank Paula for calling for our voices to be heard. (link)" / Twitter
then
Renee is sick of people's ish on Twitter: "I stepped down as one of the Directors of Students for a Brand New Congress (@BrandNew535) ..." / Twitter
I stepped down as one of the Directors of Students for a Brand New Congress (@BrandNew535) due to the discrimination, lack of sincerity, and failure of the stated mission by the now resigned ED, Robb Ryerse and the Board. 11 people involved in SBNC left on the same day in a show of support and solidarity. The removal of the following facts from the statement and attached DEI timeline is shameful:
1. The firing of a Brown woman for bullying white people
2. The resignation of a white male volunteer who quit in response to certain actions by the board
and
3. 12 people leaving on the same day in response to the absolute failure of BNC to appropriately implement DEI ideology inline with their mission. Thank you @paulajean2020 and @ZeynabDay for speaking up.

I will note for the record the "bullying" as noted in point #1 was unsubstantiated, meaning never confirmed with receipts, and there was also no due process. In contrast, my statements of discrimination were responded to with a fake investigation or not at all.
Paula Jean Swearengin on Twitter: "Let's talk about @BrandNew535 silencing women of color, who filed descrimination claims, with gag orders that suspends their civil liberties, for 2 months severance. #soundsaboutwhite" / Twitter

Ohio sets November special election; House seat to be empty most of year
Ohio sets November special election, leaving Pelosi with empty seat most of the year

Democrats’ progressive-establishment split could affect race
The candidates in the race:
So far, the field includes Nina Turner, the co-chairwoman of Sen. Bernie Sanders’ 2020 presidential campaign and occasional Fudge rival, who is expected to have the support of national progressives, including Sanders.

Cuyahoga County Councilwoman Shontel Brown, a Fudge protégé who has the endorsement of Columbus-area Rep. Joyce Beatty and more than 100 other figures in the Democratic establishment, has attracted local and national attention as the candidate with the most support from the establishment.

Former Ohio state Sen. Jeff Johnson, former state Sen. Shirley Smith and former state Rep. John Barnes Jr. have also said they would run.
They should get in the race by May 5, the primary is on Aug 3, and the general election is on Nov 2.

Progressives are lining up behind NT.

Exclusive: Ohio’s Nina Turner picks up Ocasio-Cortez endorsement in U.S. House race | The 19th

NT's former boss supports her.
Bernie Sanders on Twitter: "I've gotten to know @ninaturner over the last five years. She deeply cares for working families and she has the heart to be an effective, unwavering fighter for them in Congress. I am proud to endorse her candidacy. (pic link)" / Twitter

Nina Turner on Twitter: "I am honored to have the support of @AOC. I look forward to working together to build a democracy where no child goes hungry, no worker earns a starvation wage, and where every business respects our planet.

It’s time to build an America as good as its promise 💜✊🏾 (pic link)" / Twitter

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I'm proud to endorse Nina Turner for Congress in Ohio's 11th Congressional District. Nina is a bold, unapologetic progressive who has spent her entire career advocating for the working people of Northeast Ohio, and a powerful voice for progressive values and policies that will make a meaningful difference in the lives of working people across this country -- like Medicare for All, a $15 minimum wage, and a Green New Deal. I need her alongside me in Congress in the fight for racial, economic, social, and environmental justice.

Nina Turner on Twitter: "Am honored to receive the endorsement of my sister, @RashidaTlaib. The crises facing our country can only be solved if we are courageous enough to address them at their root. When there is so much hardship, we have no choice but to be bold.

I look forward to working together ✊🏾 (pic link)" / Twitter

Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib

Michigan's 13th Congressional District and Ohio's 11th Congressional District are not only connected by the Great Lakes, but they are also connected by the need of strong, bold leadership for their constituents. I know that Senator Nina Turner will bring her rooted values to the United States Congress on behalf of the residents of Ohio's 11th. Sen. Turner is committed to racial, economic, and social justice, and will be a great partner in ensuring we deliver 0n the goals of justice for not only Ohio and the Great Lakes region, but for the entire country.

Ilhan Omar endorses Nina Turner - Facebook
I am so proud to endorse my sister in the Progressive Movement, Nina Turner
for Ohio's 11th Congressional District! Together we will continue to push forward an agenda that centers the American people.

Top liberals line up behind Nina Turner’s House bid - POLITICO
Other supporters include Ro Khanna, Cori Bush, and Keith Ellison.

Future Steps US on Twitter: "Our form to nominate progressives running for Congress in 2022! If you have a grassroots candidate you’re excited to elect, fill this form out so we can get in contact! Retweet!

Let’s win big! Step up today for a better tomorrow! (link)" / Twitter

Leftists 4 Office on Twitter: "Leftists 4 Office was established in 2020 with the goal of promoting as many down ballot progressive and leftist candidates as possible and helping to get them elected. We are non-partisan, supporting candidates from the Green party, Democratic Party, Independents, and more." / Twitter

Elect Houlahan 2022 on Twitter: "@CaslerNoel @JamesTate121 Stephen Houlahan is a First Responder with an extensive medical background and is a firm believer of science. We need politicians who prioritize the people over a party. Houlahan is running for Congress and needs help in unseating a corrupt incumbent @electhoulahan (link)" / Twitter- for CA-50, where Republican Darrell Issa currenly is.

Benice on Twitter: "@JessicaMasonTX is running for Congress in 2022 in TX-30

This seat has been held by Bernice Johnson since 1993. She said she was “studying” m4a, but never co-sponsored it... in a pandemic

Click here for more info
👇
#JessicasRevolution (link)" / Twitter

Her platform:
  • Medicare For All
  • Green New Deal
  • Housing 4All - Affordable & accessible housing
  • Legalize Marijuana - Decriminalize all drugs
  • Reparations
  • Cancel Student Loan/ Medical Debt

Brand New Congress has started endorsing people.

Brand New Congress on Twitter: "BNC is excited to welcome Selinda Guerrero (@People4Congress) to our 2022 slate! Selinda is an Afro-Chicano, Indigenous, Queer Black feminist, and lifelong community organizer running for #NM01. You can split a contribution between BNC & Selinda here: (links)" / Twitter

Nothing from Justice Democrats yet.

I've been following Justice Democrats since their inception and creation by Cenk Uygur, Kyle Kulinski and others. I subscribed to each of their YouTube channels (The Young Turks and Secular Talk, respectively) probably sometime in 2016 well ahead of the elections that year. TYT I don't watch much anymore, but I still follow Kyle (who has a new podcast with Krystal Ball, btw) and find myself in agreement with him on a lot of things. As you've documented above in this thread, one of the main goals of JD, as espoused by Kyle, is to push the Overton window back to the left and do a hostile takeover of the Democratic Party from within. A common goal they share with other groups such as Brand New Congress and Our Revolution is to get money out of politics. This is a policy (like much of the JD platform) which enjoys popularity among a majority of all Americans, not just Democrats.

Another group which could be seen as an ally, but isn't yet active in all states, is the Working Families Party. Sometimes they endorse Democrats and sometimes they run their own. When I've seen a candidate listed on both the Dem and WFP lines, I always cast my vote on the WFP line. I feel fortunate to be in a state where they are active.

Btw, I'm excited to see if Nina Turner can win her race!

Jenny Sylivant on Twitter: "In her first term in Congress, @RepUnderwood #IL14 has introduced 42 pieces of legislation and passed four bipartisan pieces of legislation into law, according to her website.

She is an incredibly talented, accomplished nurse, who is running for re-election in 2022. #DemVoice1 (link)" / Twitter

Emadeddin Muntasser on Twitter: "Successful fundraising event today to benefit first #Libyan-American running for Congress. We will make history in 2022. Many in #Libya are following the campaign and are inspired by the opportunity that America offers to its citizens. (link)" / Twitter
Muad Hrezi for CT-01

Muad for Congress Launch — Hrezi for Congress - "We need Medicare for All. We need a Green New Deal. We need economic and racial justice."

Rep. Carolyn Maloney launches 2022 reelection bid - New York Daily News
The 75-year-old Manhattan Democrat — who has been in Congress since 1993 and currently serves as the chairwoman of the powerful House Oversight Committee — said in a statement that she knows “how to get things done,” citing her work over the decades on a range of legislation, from helping 9/11 survivors to delivering coronavirus stimulus checks to New Yorkers.

Maloney’s 2022 campaign launch was quickly met with a rematch announcement from Suraj Patel, a Manhattan attorney who unsuccessfully challenged the congresswoman in the 2018 and 2020 primaries.
Not long after, Suraj Patel, entered the race yet again. He had challenged her back in 2018 and 2020. I like to call him the Indiana Catfish, because he is a hotel executive from Indiana who raised much more money from that state than from New York, and because some of his campaigning back in 2018 was by catfishing in dating sites, posing as potential dates then advertising his candidacy.

Joshua Weil for US Senate (FL) on Twitter: "@CathyFo99886268 @RetireMarco I'm a high school teacher and the Progressive Democrat running against Marco Rubio in 2022. We're building a grassroots movement to get Floridians a Senator who actually works for them.

Learn more at (links)" / Twitter

Democrat | Josh Weil for US Senate | Florida

Team Erica on Twitter: "Are y’all ready to elect a strong #progressive woman to the United States Senate?
We sure are! 🤩
Join our movement today ⬇️ (link)" / Twitter

Erica Smith for Senate | Fighting for All North Carolinians

April is the cruelest Pete on Twitter: "The next progressive to shock Missouri is going to be @LucasKunceMO
Coming for that open Senate seat in 2022! Keep your eye on this one" / Twitter

Lucas Kunce for Missouri | Democrat | U.S. Senate
Campaigning on "Ending Corporate Monopoly Domination of Our Economy" and "Abolishing Corporate PACs & Safeguarding Democracy" and "Enacting A Marshall Plan for the Midwest"

BreakingWavePolitics on Twitter: "@NelsonforWI is looking at an early lead against staunch Trump supporter @RonJohnsonWI . Wisconsin's populist history will definitely come into play as a more progressive Dem takes on a more reactionary Johnson. Wisconsin will be exciting to watch in 2022. #GOP #Dem #Senate" / Twitter
Nelson for Wisconsin - no platform
Interview with him: 2022 Progressive Primary Candidates w/ Tom Nelson, Nina Turner, & Isiah James - MR Live - 4/7/21 - YouTube

Dan 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson lied about the election and the Capitol attack today.
Progressive Democrat Alex Lasry, @AlexLasryWI is challenging him for Senate in 2022.
RT, follow and donate to help him win! ✊🏻💙🇺🇸
#VoteBlue2022
#Democrats (link)" / Twitter

Lasry for Wisconsin

Welcome to Pennsylvania's very progressive 2022 Democratic Senate primary | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Both Pennsylvania Democrats in the state’s high-stakes Senate race support a $15 federal minimum wage and getting rid of the filibuster to make it happen. Both want student loan forgiveness and support some aspects of sweeping environmental legislation on par with the Green New Deal. One is a longtime advocate for marijuana legalization, the other a vocal champion for LGBTQ rights.
They are Lt. Gov. John Fetterman and State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta.

Justice Democrats Back Odessa Kelly In Tennessee Primary - "The Progressive Group That Helped Bring Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez To Congress Is Launching Its First Primary Challenge Of 2022"
Justice Democrats is launching Odessa Kelly’s campaign against Rep. Jim Cooper, setting up a primary fight between a community organizer from East Nashville, Tennessee, and the moderate Blue Dog incumbent.

Kelly cofounded the group Stand Up Nashville, a nonprofit focused on “equitable, inclusive, and democratic” economic development in the city, while Cooper has represented Tennessee’s 5th District since 2003 and represented the 4th District from 1983 to 1995.

“It shouldn’t take 40 years to get something good done,” Kelly said during a recent interview with BuzzFeed News. “Representative Cooper has had decades in Congress, and we don’t know what he’s done. When you look at what I’ve done for Nashville, I’ve got receipts.”
Justice Democrats jump into 2022 primaries with Tennessee House race endorsement - CNNPolitics
"As someone who has spent her life as a public servant and a community organizer, Odessa Kelly is exactly the kind of Democrat we need in Congress," Justice Democrats executive director Alexandra Rojas said in a statement. "Our grassroots movement has shocked the nation in two cycles and we are prepared to do it again. It's time to usher in a new generation of progressive leadership into the Democratic Party."

Cooper, whose political career stretches back nearly four decades, is the brother of Nashville Mayor John Cooper and son of former Tennessee Gov. Prentice Cooper. He also served in the House from 1983-1995. Cooper ran unopposed in the 2020 general election.
Odessa Kelly for TN-05 – Odessa Kelly for Congress - she supports the likes of Medicare for All and the Green New Deal

Odessa Kelly - Justice Democrats - "Donate to support our first recruit of 2022: Odessa Kelly, running for Congress in TN-05!"

The Justice Democrats are an offshoot of Brand New Congress, AOC's recruiter.

Ezra watson - he's in NY-21 and he supports M4A, the GND, and Universal Basic Income. It's in NE NY State, and it's currently represented by Republican Elise Stefanik. She was the youngest woman elected to Congress when she was elected in 2014, only to be unseated in 2018 by AOC.

Shervin Aazami for Congress - CA-30 (San Fernando Valley) - M4A, GND, Housing for All, Decriminalized immigration system

Alexandra M Hunt – Pennsylvania District PA-03 House Candidate (her site shows her in downtown Philly with City Hall behind her) - M4A, GND, H4A, lots of others

David Anderson Jr. for Congress 2022 – Unity Builds Our Future - TX-35 (W of Austin, Waco) - M4A, GND, etc.

Jesse Philippe - Congressional Candidate, Florida Congress - FL-15 (NE of Tampa to near Orlando) - no clear statement on M4A, GND, etc.

Jessica Mason - This is the New Deal. - TX-30 (south Dallas and southward) - M4A, GND, "Affordable Housing", "Unions for All", "Holistic Criminal Justice Reform", and "Immigration Reform & Abolish ICE". She says about herself "I am a U.S. Navy veteran, non-profit coordinator and longtime anti-poverty activist."

The First Progressive Primary Challenge of 2022 - The American Prospect
"Odessa Kelly announces her candidacy in a Nashville, Tennessee, House district against ten-term Blue Dog Jim Cooper."

Then how Jim Cooper is on the right wing of the Democratic Party, despite being in a heavily Democratic district.

He comes from a sizable political dynasty. His brother John Cooper is the mayor of Nashville. His father Prentice Cooper was the state's governor from 1939 to 1945. His father's father William Prentice Cooper was once Speaker of the state's House of Reps.

Jim Cooper was in the House 1983 - 1995, and then 2003 - present. His first House stint ended when he ran for Al Gore's vacated Senate seat in 1994. He is a member of both the Blue Dog Coalition and the New Democrat Coalition, groups of centrist to center-right Democrats.
Since the 1990s, Cooper has been a thorn in the side of the Democratic agenda. He was one of only three House Democrats to vote against the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990, and was a co-author on a bipartisan health care reform bill in 1992 that effectively undercut the Clinton health care reform package. Cooper’s proposal, unlike Clinton’s, did not even provide for universal coverage; he counseled Hillary Clinton, who led the effort, that she was too far to the left.

In 2009, Cooper was one of the few dissenting votes against the initial $819 billion stimulus package that passed in the House, part of an effort that helped drive the final package down to $787 billion, an amount now universally condemned (including by Obama administration veterans) as far too small. The inadequate stimulus led to a lost decade of tepid economic growth. Cooper, at the time, was one of the country’s most outspoken deficit hawks while President Obama sought to drum up support for more ambitious spending programs.

It’s not just the party’s left flank he’s been at odds with, but the mainstream, liberal leadership as well. In January 2013, Cooper was the only Democrat in the House to vote against an emergency bill to provide disaster and recovery funds in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, putting him in league with Republicans like Ted Cruz. In 2012, Cooper supported an amendment to raise the Social Security age and cut Medicare and Medicaid. As recently as 2019, he co-sponsored a balanced-budget amendment that would have necessitated cuts to those same programs. And in 2019, Cooper was one of the few Democrats to go against Nancy Pelosi’s speakership, voting “present” when she was up against Kevin McCarthy for the top job in the House.

Back
Top Bottom