• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats trying to unseat each other II

Brand New Congress on Twitter: "BNC is thrilled to welcome @amy4thepeople back to the slate! A small business owner, military spouse, and mom of 5, Amy is a national progressive powerhouse. We're excited to help one of our original candidates win in 2022. Split a donation w/BNC & Amy: (link)" / Twitter
then
Amy Vilela for Congress on Twitter: "Couldn’t be more excited to have @BrandNew535’s support once again for our 2022 campaign demanding more.

Together, we’re taking our fight for a #GreenNewDeal and #MedicareForAll to the Halls of Congress!" / Twitter

Justice Democrats (@justicedems) / Twitter has been highlighting its latest endorsement in its Twitter banner, and most recently, that is Jessica Cisneros for TX-28.

Brand New Congress (@BrandNew535) / Twitter has been highlighting all its endorsements in its Twitter banner, and is now at 13.

Nina Turner Teases Upcoming Announcement - YouTube
Host David Doel speculated about what it might be.
  • Getting involved in some PAC to elect like-minded people? Amy Vilela did that.
  • Running for US Senate
  • Running for US House in OH-11 again
That latter possibility is not as farfetched as it might seem. Shontel Brown will likely be elected this November for OH-11, but she will be in office for only one year, and she'd have to run for re-election. NT may run again for that seat in 2022.

I looked her up. She is a strange one. According to her wikipedia entry, we don't know when she was born, not even the year (either 1974 or 75). Why is she hiding her birth date?

Also, she is trying to primary Dina Titus in NV-1, who is already the most left-leaning of Nevada Congressional Democrats, according to this article.
Vilela announces challenge to Titus in 1st District
So what's the point of her running?

Together, we’re taking our fight for a #GreenNewDeal and #MedicareForAll to the Halls of Congress!" / Twitter[/url]
The almost $100T GNG where most of the cost is not about climate or environment at all but about things like "federal job guarantees". In an environment when a lot of money has been spent already on CoVid and more will be spent on infrastructure (~$1T) and non-infrastructure spending (~$3.5T)? When the inflation rate is already over 5%?

Another BNC endorsement: Morgan Harper, running for US Senate for Ohio. Rob Portman is retiring, making it an open seat.

I checked on Report Cards for 2020 - GovTrack.us to see what the incumbents are like for BNC's and JD's challengers:
  1. CA-29 - Angelica Dueñas BNC - Tony Cárdenas - 0.22
  2. CA-30 - Shervin Aazami BNC - Brad Sherman - 0.34
  3. FL-20 - Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick BNC - (open seat)
  4. IL-07 - Kina Collins JD - Danny K. Davis - 0.19
  5. IL-16 - Marsha Williams BNC - Adam Kinzinger R - 0.66
  6. KY-SEN - Charles Booker BNC - Rand Paul R - 0.66
  7. NJ-10 - Imani Oakley BNC - Donald Payne Jr. - 0.22
  8. NV-01- Amy Vilela BNC - Dina Titus - 0.26
  9. NY-03 - Melanie D'Arrigo BNC - Thomas Suozzi - 0.34
  10. NY-11 - Brittany Ramos DeBarros BNC - Nicole Malliotakis R - (newcomer)
  11. NY-12 - Rana Abdelhamid JD - Carolyn Maloney - 0.17
  12. OH-11 - Nina Turner BNC JD - (open seat) - lost primary
  13. OH-SEN - Morgan Harper BNC - (open seat)
  14. PA-SEN - Malcolm Kenyatta BNC - (open seat)
  15. TN-05 - Odessa Kelly JD - Jim Cooper - 0.30
  16. TX-28 - Jessica Cisneros JD - Henry Cuellar - 0.57
  17. TX-30 - Jessica Mason BNC - (open seat)
  18. WA-06 - Rebecca Parson BNC - Derek Kilmer - 0.38
Scale: 0 = left, 1 = right
Mean: 0.30, Median: 0.28
The most liberal Democrat targeted: Carolyn Maloney NY-12 - 0.17
The most conservative Democrat targeted: Henry Cuellar TX-28 - 0.57
Rep. Dina Titus is about average for Democrats.

I looked at the numbers for the US House in 2018-19 (116th Congress), and I found (mean, median, min, max):
  • All: 0.48, 0.44, 0, 1
  • D: 0.28, 0.28, 0, 0.64
  • R: 0.70, 0.70, 0.44, 1
Rep. Josh Gottheimer D-NJ-05 at 0.64 was the most conservative Democrat in the House in 2018-19.

In 2020, Morgan Harper ran against Joyce Beatty for OH-03.

JB was first elected to the House in 2012, and she was in the Ohio House before that. Her 2020 ideology score is 0.25

MH lost the primary: JB 68.1% MH 31.9% - a loss margin of 36.2%

Other returnees are Melanie D'Arrigo NY-03 (lost in 2020 by 40.7%), Jessica Cisneros TX-28 (lost in 2020 by 3.6%), Rebecca Parson WA-06 (placed 3rd in 2020 with 13.6% behind 2nd), and Amy Vilela (placed 3rd in 2018 with only 9.2%).

I decided to check on the Nevada delegation.
  • NV-01 Dina Titus D - 0.26
  • NV-02 Mark Amodei R - 0.59
  • NV-03 Susie Lee D - 0.41
  • NV-04 Steven Horsford D - 0.25
  • NV-SEN-I Jacky Rosen D - 0.34
  • NV-SEN-III Catherine Cortez Masto D - 0.29
Rep. Titus is a little bit on the liberal side compared to the rest of the NV D delegation, but that's about it.

It's not like she's a member of The Squad.
  • NY-14 AOC (Joe Crowley) - 0.09 (0.31)
  • MA-07 Ayanna Pressley (Mike Capuano) - 0.05 (0.24)
  • MI-13 Rashida Tlaib (open seat) - 0.08 ()
  • MN-05 Ilhan Omar (open seat) - 0.10 ()
  • NY-16 Jamaal Bowman (Eliot Engel) - (0.22)
  • NY-17 Mondaire Jones (open seat) - ()
  • IL-03 Marie Newman (Dan Lipinski) - (0.41)
  • MO-01 Cori Bush (Lacy Clay) - (0.26)

This is where Nina Turner has gone, it seems.

Nina Turner's REAL Experience Running For Congress - YouTube

With Cenk Uygur and Rashad Richey in The Young Turks.

She discussed her campaign, and how she ran an issues-oriented campaign. She seemed to concede that she was blindsided by the Democratic establishment and that establishment's anointing of Shontel Brown as its chosen candidate. She ran as a slavishly loyal and obedient Democratic apparatchik, someone who will follow the party line decreed by the party's leadership no matter what it is. Or more precisely, she attacked Nina Turner for not being such an obedient apparatchik.

Looking for additional progressive organizations, I find that BoldProgressives.org now endorses Morgan Harper for OH-SEN, joining Brand New Congress. But I can't find any other candidates that BP endorses this time around.

I've been following Donna Imam (@donnaimamTX) / Twitter and she's waiting for redistricting in Texas before she decides where to run.

I saw a prog is trying to get the Dem nomination for the US Senate seat race. They are nuts!

I saw a prog is trying to get the Dem nomination for the US Senate seat race. They are nuts!

I concede that their track record is not very great. But then again, the record of newcomers in the House is not all that great.

Cori Bush ran for US Senate in 2016. She lost the Democratic primary: Jason Kandler 69.87% CB 13.27% others 9.51% 7.35%

Brand New Congress -  Justice Democrats

2018:
  • Deedra Abboud AZ: Democratic primary: Kyrsten Sinema 79.25%, DA 20.75%
  • Alison Hartson CA: Nonpartisan primary: Dianne Feinstein D 44.12%, others 12.07% 8.34% 5.26% 4.85% 4.01% 3.08%, AH 2.21% large number of others
  • Kerri Evelyn Harris DE: Democratic primary: Tom Carper 64.59%, KEH 35.41%
  • Zak Ringelstein ME: Democratic primary: uncontested. General election: Angus King I 54.3%, Eric Brakey R 35.2%, ZR D 10.5%
  • Paula Jean Swearengin WV: Democratic primary: Joe Manchin 69.86%, PJS 30.14%
2020:
  • Jessica Scarane DE: Democratic primary: Chris Coons 72.85%, JS 27.15%
  • Kimberly Graham IA: Democratic primary: Theresa Greenfield 47.71%, Michael T. Franken 24.88%, KG 15.02%, others 10.99% 1.21% 0.19%
  • Charles Booker KY: Democratic primary: Amy McGrath 45.41%, CB 42.62%, several others
  • Betsy Sweet ME: Democratic primary: Sara Gideon 71.47%, Betsy Sweet 22.94%, Bre Kidman 5.59%
  • Maggie Toulouse Oliver NM: Withdrew before Democratic primary
  • Paula Jean Swearengin WV: Democratic primary: PJS 38.39%, Richard Ojeda 32.90%, Richie Robb 28.70%. General election: Shelley Moore Capito R 70.28%, PJS D 27.00%, David Moran Lib 2.72%
2022:
  • Charles Booke KY
  • Morgan Harper OH
  • Malcolm Kenyatta PA

This is where Nina Turner has gone, it seems.

Nina Turner's REAL Experience Running For Congress - YouTube

With Cenk Uygur and Rashad Richey in The Young Turks.

She discussed her campaign, and how she ran an issues-oriented campaign. She seemed to concede that she was blindsided by the Democratic establishment and that establishment's anointing of Shontel Brown as its chosen candidate. She ran as a slavishly loyal and obedient Democratic apparatchik, someone who will follow the party line decreed by the party's leadership no matter what it is. Or more precisely, she attacked Nina Turner for not being such an obedient apparatchik.

Looking for additional progressive organizations, I find that BoldProgressives.org now endorses Morgan Harper for OH-SEN, joining Brand New Congress. But I can't find any other candidates that BP endorses this time around.

I've been following Donna Imam (@donnaimamTX) / Twitter and she's waiting for redistricting in Texas before she decides where to run.

To me, Turner comes across as a whiner. I actually listened to a couple speeches by Brown and found her to be pretty charismatic. I think that the real reason that Turner lost was that forgot a very elementary fact: that democrats tend to like democrats! And after four years of Trump, to run against Biden was an odd strategy.

I decided to do the calculations for all the BNC and JD candidates. There is some overlap, but taking that into account would be time-consuming, so I'll treat them separately. I will count mainly newcomers, even those that ran more than once.

BNC:
  • 2018 newcomers: total 30 (H 28, S 1), won primary 10 (H 9, S 1), won general 1 (H 1, S 0)
  • 2020 newcomers: total 44 (H 38, S 6), won primary 8 (H 7, S 1), won general 2 (H 2, S 0) -- incumbents: 2
JD:
  • 2018 newcomers: total 70 (H 66, S 1), won primary 21 (H 21, S 0), won general (H 4, S 0) -- incumbents: 3
  • 2020 newcomers: total 9 (H 8, S 1), won primary 5 (H 5, S 0), won general 3 (H 3, S 0) -- incumbents 7
All the endorsed incumbents are in the House, and they all got re-elected.

The newcomers' initial-to-final ratios: 30, 22, 17.5, 3

Of the newcomers, AOC and Jamaal Bowman won in their first attempts to run for public office, Marie Newman the second time, and Cori Bush the third time. Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar won in their first attempt to run for their House seats, though they had previously held local and state offices. Kara Eastman and Paula Jean Swearengin, among others, ran twice and failed both times.

For NY-SEN is a certain Moses Mugulusi. I had to dig into his "Issues" section to find out that he supports Medicare for All.

Marianne Williamson's Endorsed Candidates - a big list

MoveOn, Catch Fire, and Democracy for America have started endorsing candidates.

Rachel Ventura ran last year for IL-11 and got 41.8% of the vote. She will be running for IL State Senate 43, according to Catch Fire.

DfA is now endorsing the "Squad" for re-election - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), Ayanna Pressley (MA-7), Ilhan Omar (MN-5), and Rashida Tlaib (MI-13).

DfA is now endorsing the "Squad" for re-election - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), Ayanna Pressley (MA-7), Ilhan Omar (MN-5), and Rashida Tlaib (MI-13).
I'd donate to anybody mounting a serious primary challenge against any of these Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse!

I'd donate to anybody mounting a serious primary challenge against any of these Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse!
Even someone on their left? Like someone who attacks AOC for calling Nancy Pelosi "Mama Bear" and for not doing enough to push Medicare for All.

Presumably while hoping that they will do a Kyrsten Sinema sort of flip-flop while in office.

But the sort of candidate that Derec might like *did* run against AOC last year: Michelle Caruso-Cabrera. She lost with less than 1/4 of the vote.

Something fun from Shontel Brown's campaign:
Nina Turner's Challenger Caught Using Fake Applause - YouTube
Shontel Brown Caught Using Fake Applause Sound, Meanwhile Nina Turner Nets Big New Endorsements - YouTube

Kara Eastman ran for NE-02 and lost twice to Dan Bacon. She now has a new job: Kara Eastman on Twitter: "One week from today, I begin my new role as CEO of @TPANetwork in my hometown!" / Twitter - "Our mission is saving lives and empowering people affected by #HIV & health disparities. Cutting edge care provider in Chicago."

Brand New Congress is now endorsing Stephanie Gallardo WA-09. Nothing new with Justice Democrats, but JD is now showing its four candidates on its Twitter banner image.

Even someone on their left? Like someone who attacks AOC for calling Nancy Pelosi "Mama Bear" and for not doing enough to push Medicare for All.
Only if they can be used to split the far-left vote with AOC in order for both of them to lose.

Brand New Congress is now endorsing Stephanie Gallardo WA-09. Nothing new with Justice Democrats, but JD is now showing its four candidates on its Twitter banner image.

She describes herself as a "union thug". I guess her role is to break the bones of everyone who refuses to sign the card. That's why secret ballots are a necessity.

Only if they can be used to split the far-left vote with AOC in order for both of them to lose.
See if you can recruit such a candidate.

The closest I can think of for last year was Badrun Khan, who run against AOC. She lost by a large margin, even more than MCC.

As to your type of candidate, I'm guessing MCC for AOC, Brenda Jones for Rashida Tlaib, and Antone Melton-Meaux for Ilhan Omar.

She describes herself as a "union thug". I guess her role is to break the bones of everyone who refuses to sign the card. That's why secret ballots are a necessity.
Seems like humor to me.

There is a PAC called The Six PAC

About — The Six PAC
The Six PAC is a Federal PAC created to support six carefully selected rural and progressive Democrats. We will focus on candidates who need early money, who face tough primaries against establishment candidates, and who are committed to building power for their community.

We will accept no corporate money. This is grassroots money for grassroots candidates.
Its first endorsee this election season: Jessica Cisneros.

Blue America has also been doing endorsements, like Blue America’s First Incumbent Endorsement Of 2022: Marie Newman – Blue America

They note: The Republican Party Is Targeting Marie Newman – Blue America - presumably because they think that they might be able to win.
A few days ago, the NRCC announced ten new targets they’re working on flipping. Most of the seats are held by a pack of conservative New Dems and Blue Dogs from the Republican wing of the Democratic Party.

One of them isn’t: our old friend Marie Newman, who we helped– over the course of two cycles– oust one of the anti-woman conservative Blue Dogs, Dan Lipinski, and show the Chicagoland residents of her district what it means to have a really good member of Congress working for their interests.

Last year, Marie won her district 56.4% to 43.6%, even better than Biden’s 55.5% to 42.9% win over Trump in the district.
Then about how busy MN has been.
Last year, Marie won her district 56.4% to 43.6%, even better than Biden’s 55.5% to 42.9% win over Trump in the district. She immediately jumped into the fray, co-sponsoring Medicare-for-All, the Green New Deal, the For the People Act (HR-1), the PRO Act, DC statehood, the Equality Act, the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, and bills in favor of postal banking, student debt relief, ending the filibuster, expanding the Supreme Court…

On top of that, she has written– either alone or with partners– an incredibly large number of bills for a freshman, including America’s Clean Future Fund Act (which would establish a new independent agency tasked with providing grants and loan guarantees for finance climate mitigation, support job creation, and encourage private investment., while providing transition assistance and workforce development programs; decarbonization transition payments to improve carbon-reduction practices; and providing low- and middle-income consumers with quarterly rebates) and two micro-loan acts that have come out of the Small Business Administration Committee, of which she is a member, and that encourages equality and efficiency in small business loans.

NRCC Expands Offensive Map, Announces 10 New Targets Following Reapportionment - NRCC I've added their 2019-20 govtrack.us ideology scores, where available. Nearly all of them are relatively conservative Democrats.

GA-07 – Carolyn Bourdeaux – (new)
IL-03 – Marie Newman – (new) *
NC-02 – Deborah Ross – (new)
CT-05 – Jahana Hayes – 0.10
CA-45 – Katie Porter – 0.24

NV-04 – Steven Horsford – 0.25
IL-06 – Sean Casten – 0.26
OR-04 – Peter DeFazio – 0.27
CA-49 – Mike Levin – 0.28
NY-25 – Joe Morelle – 0.28 *

NY-20 – Paul Tonko – 0.29 *
PA-07 – Susan Wild – 0.29
IL-14 – Lauren Underwood – 0.30
MI-05 – Dan Kildee – 0.30 *
NY-18 – Sean Patrick Maloney – 0.30

NY-26 – Brian Higgins – 0.30 *
CA-03 – John Garamendi – 0.33
FL-13 – Charlie Crist – 0.34
NY-03 – Tom Suozzi – 0.34
AZ-02 – Ann Kirkpatrick – 0.35

KS-03 – Sharice Davids – 0.35
MI-11 – Haley Stevens – 0.35
OH-13 – Tim Ryan – 0.35
WA-08 – Kim Schrier – 0.35
PA-08 – Matt Cartwright – 0.35

CA-36 – Raul Ruiz – 0.36 *
NJ-07 – Tom Malinowski – 0.36
GA-06 – Lucy McBath – 0.37
IL-17 – Cheri Bustos – 0.37
CA-07 – Ami Bera – 0.38 *

NJ-11 – Mikie Sherrill – 0.38
TX-34 – Filemon Vela – 0.38
NH-01 – Chris Pappas – 0.40
TX-07 – Lizzie Fletcher – 0.40
NV-03 – Susie Lee – 0.41

PA-06 – Chrissy Houlahan – 0.41 *
CA-16 – Jim Costa – 0.42 *
MI-08 – Elissa Slotkin – 0.42
MN-02 – Angie Craig – 0.42
NJ-03 – Andy Kim – 0.42

NY-04 – Kathleen Rice – 0.42 *
PA-17 – Conor Lamb – 0.42
TX-32 – Colin Allred – 0.44
VA-02 – Elaine Luria – 0.44
OR-05 – Kurt Schrader – 0.45

CA-10 – Josh Harder – 0.46
FL-07 – Stephanie Murphy – 0.46
ME-02 – Jared Golden – 0.46
NY-19 – Antonio Delgado – 0.46
TX-15 – Vicente Gonzalez – 0.47

AZ-01 – Tom O’Halleran – 0.50
VA-07 – Abigail Spanberger – 0.50
WI-03 – Ron Kind – 0.50
IA-03 – Cindy Axne – 0.51
MN-03 – Dean Phillips – 0.54

TX-28 – Henry Cuellar – 0.57
NJ-05 – Josh Gottheimer – 0.64

Ryan Grim on Twitter: "> ⁦@AOC⁩ in this clip notes that several of the Democrats holding up the reconciliation bill are in pretty safe blue districts, “kind of like the one I ran in.” She doesn’t often publicly float primaries against Dems, despite the reputation she came in on… (vid link)" / Twitter

She doesn't want to pick fights, it seems, and while she supported Cori Bush in 2018, she did not support CB in 2020. But CB nevertheless won.

But it seems like a Mafia sort of threat: a threat made while disclaiming explicit responsibility. "Nice career you have there. It would be a shame if someone primaried you."
  • NY-14 - Joe Crowley 0.30 - AOC 0.09
  • MA-07 - Michael Capuano 0.24 - Ayanna Pressley 0.05
  • NY-16 - Eliot Engel 0.22 - Jamaal Bowman
  • NY-17 - Nita Lowey (retired) 0.28 - Mondaire Jones
  • IL-03 - Dan Lipinski 0.41 - Marie Newman
  • MO-01 - Lacy Clay 0.26 - Cori Bush

Another progressive PAC: Way to Lead - Contribute to Way to Lead

So far, the candidates with the most endorsements are (4) Shervin Aazami CA-30 (against Brad Sherman 0.34), Nina Turner OH-11 (open seat, lost), (3) Bryan Osorio CA-21 (against David Valadao (R)), Christine Olivo FL-24 (against Frederica Wilson 0.13), Marie Newman IL-03 (incumbent), Kina Collins IL-07 (against Danny Davis 0.19), Brittany Ramos DeBarros NY-11 (against Nicole Malliotakis (R)), Alexandra Hunt PA-03 (against Dwight Evans 0.22), Jessica Mason TX-30 (open seat), Jason Call WA-02 (Rick Larsen 0.30)

I have given the incumbents' govtrack.us ideology scores where available.

The PACs with the most endorsements are Blue America (24), Marianne Williamson's PAC (22), Brand New Congress (20)

No new endorsements in several days.

Back in 2020,  Brand New Congress endorsed 40 Reps and 6 Senators, including 2 incumbent Reps
So far, it has endorsed 2 reps for 2021 (both lost their primaries), and 16 Reps and 3 Senators, including 4 incumbent Reps

Back in 2020,  Justice Democrats endorsed 15 Reps and 1 Senator, including 6 incumbent Reps
So far, it has endorsed 1 rep for 2021 (she lost her primary), and 4 Reps

Their only overlap so far is Nina Turner, and she lost her primary this year.

So it looks like BNC, JD, and similar PAC's still have some more endorsements that they may want to do.

One of the JD candidates:
Rana Abdelhamid grew up being ignored by Carolyn Maloney. Now she's trying to replace her. - by Jordan Zakarin - Progressives Everywhere

She is the daughter of two Egyptian immigrants, and she grew up in Queens.
She was just eight years old when the towers fell, so most of her life has been shaped by the explicit post-9/11 harassment of American Muslims; her adolescence was spent under the watchful, ever-present eye of the NYPD, which terrorized communities like hers in Astoria. Abdelhamid’s dizzying experience typified that of a generation in this city: She was rushed out of school with her classmates the day of the attacks, and when school re-opened, her classmates asked if the attacks were her fault.

“People in my life were being deported and nobody knows why. People were changing their names and taking off their hijabs. There were police outside of our mosque and there was the FBI knocking on our door and everyone was really confused and terrified,” Abdelhamid remembers. “And there's the balance of that and being afraid because you're a New Yorker and your city just got hit by a terrorist attack, and then there are people in your life who are both Muslim and first responders.”

Life under that regime turned Abdelhamid into a community organizer.
Rana Abdelhamid on Twitter: "I was 9 years old ..." / Twitter
I was 9 years old when I watched my Congresswoman wear a burqa in Congress to justify the invasion of Afghanistan.

For the rest of my life, I knew that as a Muslim woman my identity would be weaponized to justify American wars.

20 years of war later, what did we accomplish?

Now, the US leaves a political vacuum where the same women they claimed to save are the ones paying the cost.

Now, the Taliban, an evil force of violence, has only increased its human rights abuses & destruction of Afghan civil society.

The US must hold itself accountable.

It's time to root foreign policy in peace and diplomacy — not endless wars and bottomless Pentagon budgets.

Our officials must be held accountable for misleading the public nearly every step of the way.

But right now we must do everything we can for the Afghan people who are living in fear for their lives.

We brought 20 years of war to Afghanistan and thousands of civilians were killed.

We must be accountable to the crisis we helped create.

We must welcome & bring in more Afghan refugees and support Afghan civil society.

We must immediately expedite & increase the processing capacity for Afghan refugee resettlement & make family reunification a major priority.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Rana Abdelhamid on Twitter: "I was 16 when a man grabbed my hijab and tried to rip it from my head.

New Yorkers helped me find the courage to fight back and organize for safety and power.

I'm running for Congress because we need true representation that reflects all of us, not just those at the top. #NY12 (vid link)" / Twitter

This is the third straight campaign cycle in which Maloney has faced a serious primary challenge, and had the multiple candidates running against her last year all thrown their support behind just one challenger, Maloney would likely be an ex-member of Congress. She received less than 43% of the primary vote in 2020, edging out her top opponent by three points. It’s proof that the district is ready for a new leader and new direction.

The progressive electoral activist group Justice Democrats have backed Abdelhamid, helping to consolidate the field and put her in position to be Maloney’s one main challenger this time around. As a longtime resident of the district myself, I can attest to the need for change — Maloney has been MIA for the past decade, save for some weird recent YouTube ads boasting about her deep love of infrastructure.
Carolyn Maloney - Ballotpedia

CM was unopposed in 2012 and 2014.
  • 2012, 2014: unopposed
  • 2016: 90.1%, Pete Lindner 9.9%
  • 2018: 59.6%, Suraj Patel 40.4%
  • 2020: 42.7%, Suraj Patel 39.3%, Lauren Ashcraft 13.6%, Peter Harrison 4.2%, Other/Write-In 0.2%
Back to that article on RA.
“I was involved with mutual aid efforts to fight food insecurity, to fight housing insecurity, all things that I'd been involved with for a long time, and not seeing a similar kind of urgency from our representative, it made me look around and think we deserve better,” Abdelhamid says. “I saw my community coming together time and time again with deep love for each other and having each other's back and we need the same kind of representation.”

Maloney has assembled a mildly liberal voting record in Congress, but her unwillingness to actually work for any of the progressive policies she supposedly supports, including Medicare for All, renders it hollow.
govtrack.us has her 2020 ideology score as 0.17. It's under Members of Congress > Report Cards > 2020 > Ideology
Abdelhamid has for years been an activist for housing justice, focused on winning the kind of real affordable housing policies that are exceedingly unlikely to be supported by someone that just took a $10,000 donation from the National Multifamily Housing Council, the trade group representing major corporate landlords and builders.

Back
Top Bottom