• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Derek Chauvin receives 22 1/2 year sentence

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
I haven't seen this posted yet, but if it is, I hope the mods will merge or delete this thread:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/us/derek-chauvin-22-and-a-half-years-george-floyd.html

In recent weeks, Judge Cahill had ruled that four so-called aggravating factors applied to the case, raising the prospect of a harsher sentence. The judge found that Mr. Chauvin acted with particular cruelty; acted with the participation of three other individuals, who were fellow officers; abused his position of authority; and committed his crime in the presence of children, who witnessed the killing on a Minneapolis street corner on May 25, 2020.

Mr. Chauvin’s conviction was a rare rebuke by the criminal justice system against a police officer who killed someone while on duty. Officers are often given wide latitude to use force, and juries have historically been reluctant to second guess them, especially when they make split-second decisions under dangerous circumstances.

That's a full decade longer than the sentencing guidelines for somebody without a record. That judge had it in for Chauvin since the beginning. This trial has been a political farce, a kangaroo court. The whole purpose of it was to sacrifice Chauvin to avoid #BLMers burning down Minneapolis.

And Toni, you and others [] on here have defended Mary Winkler who deliberately and in cold blood murdered her husband while he slept. She got 6 months. Compare that to this sentence for at most an accidental killing (St. George most likely died from meth and fentanyl overdose, not Chauvin kneeling on him).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a full decade longer than the sentencing guidelines for somebody without a record.
Guidelines are just that - they are not rules.
That judge had it in for Chauvin since the beginning. This trial has been a political farce, a kangaroo court. The whole purpose of it was to sacrifice Chauvin to avoid #BLMers burning down Minneapolis.
The entire point was to bring a killer in a blue uniform to justice.
And Toni, you and others [] on here have defended Mary Winkler who deliberately and in cold blood murdered her husband while he slept. She got 6 months. Compare that to this sentence for at most an accidental killing (St. George most likely died from meth and fentanyl overdose, not Chauvin kneeling on him).
Unfortunately for you, medical experts disagreed with your peanut gallery diagnosis of the causes of death. The jury heard all of the evidence and unanimously agreed that it was not an accidental death. The judge heard all of the evidence and gave reasons for the harsh sentence. I noticed you did not address the judge's rational in your kneejerk defense of a white police officer who murdered an unarmed and non-threatening black man who was under restraint.

But, your pointless whataboutism is duly noted.

I don't qualify as "feminazi", not that I ever think in Limbaugh terms, but Chauvin committed MURDER.
There are people who could see a 9 minute video of Moscow hookers peeing on Trump and claim that Trump was attending a urology tutorial.

That's a full decade longer than the sentencing guidelines for somebody without a record. That judge had it in for Chauvin since the beginning. This trial has been a political farce, a kangaroo court. The whole purpose of it was to sacrifice Chauvin to avoid #BLMers burning down Minneapolis.

I posted the considerations the judge used in determining the sentence:
1. Chauvin acted with 'particular cruelty.'
2.Chauvin acted with the aid of other individuals
3. Chauvin abused his authority as police officer
4. Chauvin killed Floyd in the presence of children.

Nobody that I am aware of thinks of George Floyd as a saint. You may fantasize all you want about why George Floyd died but you are not the coroner of record, have no medical training and it was by medically trained coroners and medical examiners that Floyd died that day because Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into his neck for more than 9 minutes, ignoring Floyd's pleas and the pleas of the gathered crowd.

If memory serves regarding Mary Winkler (who was not in Minnesota when she killed her husband), the court believed her allegations of long time abuse. I believe that I pointed out more than once that Winkler herself felt that her sentence was too lenient. I believe she's spent a portion of her sentence in a mental health facility. The prosecutor brought charges of first degree murder but the jury disagreed and convicted her of involuntary manslaughter. Neither of us was present during the trial so we do not know what evidence was presented.

I'm a pretty strong supporter of the police: but no way can I defend Chauvin. He will get good cops killed by being so stupid. So many people hate the police over his action. If someone is so stupid that they honestly don't realize that you can kill someone by cutting off their windpipe for 9 minutes (or however long); they should be locked up. What next could he do? Run someone over with his car and be surprised that they got hurt? If you want to defend the police, pick the ones who are good cops.

Good, Derek Chauvin can eat a dick on his way in for all I care.

My kids say it's not long enough and it would be poetic justice if he is not safe from other inmates.

Medical doctors testified under oath he did not die of a fentanyl or meth overdose. Meth is a stimulant. It would help prevent death.

A sick and cruel sadist knelt on the man's neck for three minutes after he was likely dead.

The judge didn't like the crime.

Like normal people.

How odd that you would try to comapre these two cases, and argue as if you had not just read this:
1. Chauvin acted with 'particular cruelty.'
2.Chauvin acted with the aid of other individuals
3. Chauvin abused his authority as police officer
4. Chauvin killed Floyd in the presence of children.

Your comparison is completely non-analogous. Obviously so. Are you just launching a diversion? Was that your purpose?

…..

Chavin did indeed have those 4 compounding factors. He did somethign very very wrong, in public, arrogantly, and without remorse.
The sentence feels very appropriate to the act.

Back
Top Bottom