• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis Flies Immigrants to Martha Vineyard

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
So the other day DeSantis sent a plane load of immigrants to Martha’s Vineyard.

the White House has called it a cruel stunt.

Julian Cyr, the state representative serving Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket made the following statement:
"This is an island that is in the business of welcoming people, but it’s pretty disgusting that a state or a governor or whoever this is would capitalize on the unfortunate, dire circumstances of these families who are just looking for a better life. To capitalize that for a political stunt or for a 'gotcha' moment. That’s just disgusting.”
Massachusetts U.S. Sen. Ed Markey wrote in a post on social media:
"Gov. Ron DeSantis could learn a lesson from Massachusetts on what patriotism and liberty really look like if he weren’t so busy using humans as props in a cruel stunt to buoy his pathetic political aspirations. To those who’ve just landed: we gladly embrace you."
Barb Rush and others at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on Summer Street in Edgartown have been working all day to help the families she says are from Venezuela, some with children as young as 2.
"Many of them seem overwhelmed," Rush said. "We've received calls from restaurants offering food, people trying to help. It's amazing."

But perhaps there is even more to this Stunt. It is a violation of 18 USC 1324 to transport an illegal alien across state lines. Abbot also pulled the same stunt. They think they’re being funny. But they may have committed a felony. Wonder if DoJ will investigate.

But wait! The absurdity goes even deeper!

To hear the right wing tell things, Venezuela is a communist hell-hole that any sane person would want to leave. Obama, Biden, Hillary, and AOC are all part of a sinister conspiracy launched by the totally not dead for years Hugo Chavez to keep his citizens trapped in communism! We must help these helpless people to escape Obama's nefarious plan he implemented years after leaving office and years after Chavez died!

Yet suddenly, these Venezuelan refugees are now somehow totally not people fleeing communism, but are in fact Mexican day laborers taking important landscaping jobs from qualified and totally willing Americans! Gosh, it's almost like the right wing is using Hispanic/Latino heritage and Spanish language-speaking to discriminate against people who actually have nothing to do with their agenda! Or totally do...because they're brown and speak Spanish! It's almost as if the right wing thinks everyone from south of a latitude that just happens to coincide with the southern border of Texas are all job-stealing Mexicans! Weird, huh?

You've never been within a hundred miles of El Paso, have you?

Well, I have, but what does it matter? Let's celebrate that those who virtual signal about illegal migrants can now live their values.

FcrOnoGaEAEe_9E

You've never been within a hundred miles of El Paso, have you?

Well, I have, but what does it matter?

I used to live there. Went back and forth across the border on a weekly basis. I don't know who this Twitter account is you rely upon to spin your narrative about the city, but El Paso was not exactly a right wing "ship the Mexicans to DC" proposition when I lived there. YMMV.

Always something to see the Pro-Lifers telling people who are struggling and trying to enter the US to get lost in blue state America.
Wrong direction. They should fly them to Mexico City. Or maybe Rwanda.
Especially the ones who fled from Venezuela.

Ultimately, these people were tricked and lied to by officials in Texas.

Glenn Kirshner said it is "kidnapping by inveiglement".

inveiglement
[inˈvāɡəlmənt]

DEFINITION
  1. noun form of inveigle

in·vei·gle
[inˈvāɡəl]

VERB
  1. persuade (someone) to do something by means of deception or flattery:
    "we cannot inveigle him into putting pen to paper"
    synonyms:
    cajole · wheedle · coax · persuade · convince · talk · tempt · lure · allure · entice · ensnare · seduce · flatter · beguile · dupe · fool · blandish
    • (inveigle oneselfone's way into)
      gain entrance to (a place) by persuading (someone) with deception or flattery:
      "Jones had inveigled himself into her house"

Wrong direction. They should fly them to Mexico City. Or maybe Rwanda.
Oh, look! An immigrant complaining about immigrants and immigration.
Not just any immigrant, an immigrant who habitually breaks the laws of the land and talks about it online.
Oh come off that. I break the laws, you break the laws, coo-coo for cashews* and all that.

A lot of laws I don't care about. I just don't and I don't think people should use that as if it were a shield.

Still, it's a phenomena of an artificially erected barrier wherein those who overcome the artificial barrier will often feel desert for having done so, superiority over those who have not, and attempt to close off opportunities behind them.

This is no different but the inability to see that in oneself leads to the problem getting worse.

*it's a really lazy weed joke re: breaking laws, "Coo Coo Kachoo"

Oh come off that. I break the laws, you break the laws, coo-coo for cashews* and all that.

A lot of laws I don't care about. I just don't and I don't think people should use that as if it were a shield.
Soliciting prostitutes is seen as a serious crime by many jurisdictions, primarily because prostitution is often entangled with drugs and human trafficking for sex. Law enforcement down south takes it seriously enough to set up sting operations on a regular basis, prosecute the the offenders, and in some cases, even shame the Johns in public. And I tend to agree. I think it is hypocritical for an immigrant who knowingly and habitually breaks the law to be disparaging refugees who have crossed our borders illegally.

Well, I have, but what does it matter?

Your posts belie that assertion. What did you do while you were in El Paso, poseur?
Let's celebrate that those who virtual signal about illegal migrants can now live their values.

The English cliché is “virtue signal”, Oleg.
You can thank me later.

I used to live there. Went back and forth across the border on a weekly basis. I don't know who this Twitter account is you rely upon to spin your narrative about the city, but El Paso was not exactly a right wing "ship the Mexicans to DC" proposition when I lived there. YMMV.
Yeah, his mileage might vary - if he HAD any mileage. The more ignorance and RW flame bait he posts, the more evident it becomes that “Oleg” is an anti-American agitator.

Meanwhile the Federal Government of Immigrants aren't dealing effectively with those that were here originally and their access to water out west, despite having the most senior rights to it, mainly because the immigrants want to look the other way while giving themselves more of the water.

I get the fact that TX and other border states are bearing the brunt of the immigrants and trying to figure out what to do with them. I think what these governors are doing is interesting, except that they need to warn the cities that they are sending them to that they are coming and how many. I think that has happened in some instances, and they need to inform these poor people and get their consent and not coerce them. However, what is the cost of dealing with the immigrants versus shipping them elsewhere? Are they overspending tax dollars to make a political point? Probably.

I think it is hypocritical for an immigrant who knowingly and habitually breaks the law to be disparaging refugees who have crossed our borders illegally.
If they cross the border, immediately turn themselves into INS, and apply for asylum, that is not illegal.

However, what is the cost of dealing with the immigrants versus shipping them elsewhere? Are they overspending tax dollars to make a political point? Probably.
What would be the cost and savings of actually enforcing immigrantion law and disuading people from attempting to cross the border?

Back
Top Bottom