• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis to expand Stand Your Ground

I'm told that leftwingers are all communists, and communists lead to the downfall of America, which must be stopped at all costs. How then does one distinguish between non-violent protesters and communists who want to "burn America down"?

I think a better solution would be greater law enforcement and prosecution. People are understandably dismayed when they see these riots and destruction with few if any consequences for the perpetrators. Maybe fund the state AG to take on cases where the local DA is soft or politically compromised. The concern that people may get shot over property, where there’s no fear or risk of imminent physical harm, is valid.

I think a better solution would be greater law enforcement and prosecution. People are understandably dismayed when they see these riots and destruction with few if any consequences for the perpetrators. Maybe fund the state AG to take on cases where the local DA is soft or politically compromised. The concern that people may get shot over property, where there’s no fear or risk of imminent physical harm, is valid.

The problem is more one of identifying the specific perpetrators than in prosecuting them. If the DA isn't confident they can prove that the person in question is the one who committed the act they aren't (and shouldn't!) going to prosecute.

Perhaps what we need is shooting--but with dye rounds. Make special guns for the purpose, they incorporate a video camera. To legally use them you must film the criminal act, then you can fire. Each round contains a unique taggant so the video can be matched up with the dye. The cops grab anyone who has been tagged by the dye, but simply take identity and samples to identify the dye and release them (you don't want to hold them because some will be innocents who were hit by splash or even by misaimed rounds.) Taggant match + the video of the crime is considered sufficient proof.

The problem is more one of identifying the specific perpetrators than in prosecuting them. If the DA isn't confident they can prove that the person in question is the one who committed the act they aren't (and shouldn't!) going to prosecute.

Perhaps what we need is shooting--but with dye rounds. Make special guns for the purpose, they incorporate a video camera. To legally use them you must film the criminal act, then you can fire. Each round contains a unique taggant so the video can be matched up with the dye. The cops grab anyone who has been tagged by the dye, but simply take identity and samples to identify the dye and release them (you don't want to hold them because some will be innocents who were hit by splash or even by misaimed rounds.) Taggant match + the video of the crime is considered sufficient proof.

Now, all we need to do is replace all the cops' guns with those guns and you have the start of sane public policy.

And don't think I didn't catch you right there cannibalizing my idea...

Now, all we need to do is replace all the cops' guns with those guns and you have the start of sane public policy.

You would have no cops under your system. Welcome to Somalia.

Nonviolent cops != No cops. Nonviolent cops == nonviolent cops. Cops in the UK get along just fine without guns.

Nonviolent cops != No cops. Nonviolent cops == nonviolent cops. Cops in the UK get along just fine without guns.

1) You've set up a system where the serious bad guys will simply shoot the cops.

2) The UK police don't get along fine without guns. They have officers with guns they send to the more serious situations.

1) You've set up a system where the serious bad guys will simply shoot the cops.

2) The UK police don't get along fine without guns. They have officers with guns they send to the more serious situations.

Not really. I've set up a situation where things ONLY ever get worse for you if you start shooting at cops, where there is no escape and inevitable justice. Or are you saying that thing YOU suggested wouldn't work? It was your idea here!

Do you honestly think I don't know that there are UK units who do have guns? But the fact is, when you meet one on the street, that one DOESN'T. Try to be less hyperbolic and bad-faith.

Back
Top Bottom