• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Did GM kill mass transit?

Hey, we southern drivers are an amiable bunch. We don't mind sharing our road with guests, even those cheap-assed prius owners are welcome. At least they don't get in our way at the gas pump while we are trying to pay for the expenses of building and maintaining our roads. :)

Amiable? You must live in southern Utopia. Interstate 10 runs through the center of my neighborhood and there is nothing amiable about it. Through a series of very poor plans, we have used I10 as a main street and neglected surface infrastructure. Now, I-10 comes to a stop twice a day because local traffic competes with interstate traffic. The only solution which does not involve spending money on mass transit, is to spend money on adding a lane in the middle of town. This will involve removing a hundred or so homes and businesses. This little stretch of concrete ends at the Mississippi River bridge and no one has yet decided how to add extra lanes to bridge.

We have reached the limit of rubber tire infrastructure, but can't think of any solution but wider lanes and more off ramps. For myself, I live in my business, and the people in traffic are not my customers, so I don't have any sympathy.

Hey, we southern drivers are an amiable bunch. We don't mind sharing our road with guests, even those cheap-assed prius owners are welcome. At least they don't get in our way at the gas pump while we are trying to pay for the expenses of building and maintaining our roads. :)

Amiable? You must live in southern Utopia. Interstate 10 runs through the center of my neighborhood and there is nothing amiable about it. Through a series of very poor plans, we have used I10 as a main street and neglected surface infrastructure. Now, I-10 comes to a stop twice a day because local traffic competes with interstate traffic. The only solution which does not involve spending money on mass transit, is to spend money on adding a lane in the middle of town. This will involve removing a hundred or so homes and businesses. This little stretch of concrete ends at the Mississippi River bridge and no one has yet decided how to add extra lanes to bridge.

We have reached the limit of rubber tire infrastructure, but can't think of any solution but wider lanes and more off ramps. For myself, I live in my business, and the people in traffic are not my customers, so I don't have any sympathy.
Not to worry. Fred is on the way to finish up the urban renewal program that Katrina started. :devil:

Back
Top Bottom