• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Did Paul create Jesus?

Fellow Infidels — Please!
I have a simple request. Any Infidel who posts in this thread but does NOT address the following two sincere questions will get a demerit from me. :) OK?

(A) There are a total of TWO instances in the ENTIRE Bible where SPECIFIC men are named as "brother(s) of Jesus/Christ." These instances are
. . . . (1) in Mark's Gospel where there is a list of Jesus the Carpenter's siblings (one is James) and
. . . . (2) in Epistle to the Galatians where Paul has a very brief and dismissive mention of "James the brother of the Lord."
QUESTION: Do you think the "brother" Paul mentions was (a) probably figurative, (b) probably literal, (c) other_______
I'm not sure whether James existed but I think according to legends he was Jesus' brother - not sure what option that is....
(B) Josephus mentions the stoning of a Jesus (Christ?)'s brother James. There are various solutions (e.g. Josephus was misinformed; or the "Jesus' brother" was added later by Christian enthusiasts) but we are concerned here only with Carrier's solution: That Josephus DID write "Jesus' brother" and the Jesus referred to was indeed James' brother but NOT Jesus Christ. Instead Carrier thinks the stonee's brother was the man who became High Priest soon after the stoning! The only justification for this identification AFAICT is that that High Priest, Jesus ben Damneus is mentioned several sentences later.
QUESTION: How do you rate the plausibility of Carrier's solution?
I don't think I can make an educated statement about that.

Last edited:
(B) Josephus mentions the stoning of a Jesus (Christ?)'s brother James. There are various solutions (e.g. Josephus was misinformed; or the "Jesus' brother" was added later by Christian enthusiasts) but we are concerned here only with Carrier's solution: That Josephus DID write "Jesus' brother" and the Jesus referred to was indeed James' brother but NOT Jesus Christ. Instead Carrier thinks the stonee's brother was the man who became High Priest soon after the stoning! The only justification for this identification AFAICT is that that High Priest, Jesus ben Damneus is mentioned several sentences later.
Certainly it's not the height of implausibility that you appear to think it to be.

History is replete with instances of family groups struggling with each other to gain positions of privilege, and to prevent the other family from gaining favour with the high mucky-mucks.

A trumps up charges to get B punished and humiliated, only for the king to rebuke and sack A from his position of authority, and install B's brother to that now vacant office, is not a particularly uncommon occurrence in early medieval history, and likely wasn't new then.

It's an inevitable consequence of feudalism in an era of slow communications.

Did it happen in this case? Nobody knows, but Carrier's claim here isn't exactly the wildly implausible speculation you are claiming it to be, so your incredulity is not only a fallacious basis for a claim of knowledge, but it is also not consistent with known historical events in different times and places, and with different casts of characters.

If you reject Carrier's suggestion as an implausible interpretation of possible events, then you are left struggling to explain how it is that very similar events elsewhere are known to have occurred.

Sincere thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure whether James existed but I think according to legends he was Jesus' brother - not sure what option that is....
I am asking that the relevant excerpts be viewed just in their own context, with the assumption the writer (Paul or Josephus) is a competent writer,

Recalling that this James is the ONLY specific individual that Paul ever calls "brother of the Lord," does the mention here
. . . . . . . "But other of the apostles I saw none, saving James the brother of the Lord."
seem dismissive? ALL of the apostles would be "brothers of the Lord" figuratively, Why does he mention James almost dismissively AND yet make him the ONLY specific individual with whom he ever uses that phrase?
Certainly it's not the height of implausibility that you appear to think it to be.

History is replete with instances of family groups struggling with each other to gain positions of privilege, and to prevent the other family from gaining favour with the high mucky-mucks.

Again: Look at the CONTEXT. (The Josephus quote is in #88.) If James was, like High Priest Jesus, the son of Damneus why doesn't Josephus make that relationship clear? He mentions Jesus and James (with no further identification except perhaps a "called Christ" tagged on the Jesus) and then introduces Jesus ben Damneus 169 (one hundred sixty-nine) words later (at least in this translation). There is NO apparent connection between the two Jesus' in the paragraph.

It doesn't make sense that Josephus wanted to keep the Jesus==Jesus identity secret: He mentions "Jesus' brother" explicitly. Is this the way a competent writer would write? Describing an interesting relationship but with ZERO clue that there is that relationship! (Jesus was a very common name.)

But anyway, thanks again for responding! I'd rather be misunderstood than ignored altogether! :)

If James was, like High Priest Jesus, the son of Damneus why doesn't Josephus make that relationship clear?
Because his audience were expected to know it already.

That's generally why writers don't spell stuff out - they don't feel the need to do so. If I am writing about something that happens in New York City, I won't mention that it's a major urban centre on the East Coast of the North American continent. That omission is perfectly justified for a contemporary audience, but if an archaeologist finds my writings in ten thousand years time, when the location (or even factual existence) of NYC are uncertain, they may curse me for my failure to be explicit. Some scholars have hypothesised that NYC was a pseudonym or local slang term for the city of Metropolis, which as we all know, was the home of the Daily Planet newspaper (no copies of which have yet been found).

It's the exact same reason why, if James wasn't "like High Priest Jesus, the son of Damneus", he also didn't need to explicitly mention that.

The answer available from the text is "we do not, and cannot, know".

You might be right, or you might not; But what you cannot justify is being confident of one possible interpretation over any other.

There's insufficient information for a definitive response. Likely nobody will ever know - which is why the debate is both pointless and interminable.

Jesus the Carpenter's siblings (one is James) and
. . . . (2) in Epistle to the Galatians where Paul has a very brief and dismissive mention of "James the brother of the Lord."
QUESTION: Do you think the "brother" Paul mentions was (a) probably figurative, (b) probably literal, (c) other_______
Personally, I'd say probably figurative. But it's only slightly more probable than literal.

The likelihood that James was both a sibling and also a member of Jesus's closest buddies seems less than only a "brother-in-arms", but there's no way to tell.

There are so many problems. James was a common name. Paul knew nothing about Jesus's background other than what people told him. "Brother" is a word often used in casually idiomatic ways. Paul had reasons to emphasize his relationship to other close associates of Jesus. The list of murky word usage and motivation is long.

There's just no unscrambling that egg.

The part I find absurd is modern people trying to parse important information out of such semantic minutea. But, they all have their own agendas as well.
Tom

@Unknown Soldier
I just wanted to clarify what you thought about Richard Carrier's claim that the "more than 500" involved a mass hallucination.
There are some historical cases in which people have experienced apparent mass hallucinations of a religious nature. In Fatima Portugal in1916, for example, it is claimed that 70,000 people saw the Virgin Mary's "miracle of the sun." I've often wondered why Christian apologists, most of whom are Protestant, don't fall to their knees praying the rosary with this evidence from Portugal that is 140 times greater than the evidence of the 500 they claim supports the resurrection of Jesus. No doubt most atheists would deem the Fatima miracle to be a mass hallucination, and it looks like Protestant apologists would agree with them!

So for Christian apologists the reality of mass hallucinations depends on whose religion is being supported by an apparent miracle.
Do you think what really happened is that Paul completely made that event up?
It's an obvious possibility. Paul was very delusional and had a reputation for dishonesty.
If you think Richard Carrier knows what he's talking about then he could be correct when he claims that hundreds of people probably saw some weird sun activity (or similar) while believing it was Jesus....
Again, mass hallucinations of a religious nature do happen, but I think it's more probable that the story of the 500 witnesses of the risen Christ is a fabrication.
Like I said earlier there was an example of 6000 people believing they saw Jesus as a case of mistaken identity which is a possibility that Carrier never seems to consider.
I've thought that the stories of the sightings of the supposedly risen Jesus were cases of mistaken identity, but again, concluding that those stories are fabrications seems more likely to be true, at least to me.

@Unknown Soldier
I just wanted to clarify what you thought about Richard Carrier's claim that the "more than 500" involved a mass hallucination.
There are some historical cases in which people have experienced apparent mass hallucinations of a religious nature. In Fatima Portugal in 1916, for example, it is claimed that 70,000 people saw the Virgin Mary's "miracle of the sun."
I wouldn't call phenomena of the sun that 70,000 are seeing an hallucination. Also information about that event talks about the sun while the 500+ verse doesn't - it just says it is Jesus. On the other hand I have an example of 6000 believing they saw Jesus himself - not the sun.
I've often wondered why Christian apologists, most of whom are Protestant, don't fall to their knees praying the rosary with this evidence from Portugal that is 140 times greater than the evidence of the 500 they claim supports the resurrection of Jesus.
Because it's a poor explanation for why 500+ would believe that they saw Jesus - and you don't even seem very convinced about it either.
No doubt most atheists would deem the Fatima miracle to be a mass hallucination, and it looks like Protestant apologists would agree with them!

So for Christian apologists the reality of mass hallucinations depends on whose religion is being supported by an apparent miracle.
I don't think Christians believe in the concept of mass hallucinations only Carrier does.
It's an obvious possibility. Paul was very delusional and had a reputation for dishonesty.
Well Carrier doesn't seem to suggest that (that the event was completely made up) and Carrier is supposedly the expert.
If you think Richard Carrier knows what he's talking about then he could be correct when he claims that hundreds of people probably saw some weird sun activity (or similar) while believing it was Jesus....
Again, mass hallucinations of a religious nature do happen, but I think it's more probable that the story of the 500 witnesses of the risen Christ is a fabrication.
Or it is like the sighting of the 6000 and actually happened (but involved mistaken identity)
Like I said earlier there was an example of 6000 people believing they saw Jesus as a case of mistaken identity which is a possibility that Carrier never seems to consider.
I've thought that the stories of the sightings of the supposedly risen Jesus were cases of mistaken identity, but again, concluding that those stories are fabrications seems more likely to be true, at least to me.
So do you think my link about the 6000 people seeing Jesus is probably also a fabrication? (i.e. no-one believed that they saw Jesus)

Last edited:
There are some historical cases in which people have experienced apparent mass hallucinations of a religious nature. In Fatima Portugal in 1916, for example, it is claimed that 70,000 people saw the Virgin Mary's "miracle of the sun."
I wouldn't call phenomena of the sun that 70,000 are seeing an hallucination.
If I told you that many people who were there that day saw nothing unusual, would you be so sure it wasn't a mass hallucination? Besides, the sun can't descend to the earth. The sun is too big and hot.
Also information about that event talks about the sun while the 500+ verse doesn't - it just says it is Jesus. On the other hand I have an example of 6000 believing they saw Jesus himself - not the sun.
Why does it make any difference whether it's the sun or the Son? People can hallucinate either one.
I've often wondered why Christian apologists, most of whom are Protestant, don't fall to their knees praying the rosary with this evidence from Portugal that is 140 times greater than the evidence of the 500 they claim supports the resurrection of Jesus.
Because it's a poor explanation for why 500+ would believe that they saw Jesus - and you don't even seem very convinced about it either.
What's a poor explanation? I assume you mean mass hallucination. I think mass hallucinations are more likely than people seeing dead men who have come back to life.
No doubt most atheists would deem the Fatima miracle to be a mass hallucination, and it looks like Protestant apologists would agree with them!

I don't think Christians believe in the concept of mass hallucinations only Carrier does.
You're broad-brushing two billion people there. It's a sure bet that at least some Christians accept the reality of mass hallucinations. Besides, it's also certain that Richard isn't the only person who knows that people can and do hallucinate in groups.
Well Carrier doesn't seem to suggest that (that the event was completely made up) and Carrier is supposedly the expert.
I don't speak for Richard Carrier.
Or it is like the sighting of the 6000 and actually happened (but involved mistaken identity)
Please elaborate.
So do you think my link about the 6000 people seeing Jesus is probably also a fabrication? (i.e. no-one believed that they saw Jesus)
Maybe. It could be a misidentification too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call phenomena of the sun that 70,000 are seeing an hallucination.
If I told you that many people who were there that day saw nothing unusual, would you be so sure it wasn't a mass hallucination? Besides, the sun can't descend to the earth. The sun is too big and hot.
My main issue is that Carrier says that the sighting of Jesus by the 500+ could work in the same way as a "miracle of the sun"... it is weird that 500+ would think it is Jesus when you're saying that Paul was the one who invented Jesus?
Also information about that event talks about the sun while the 500+ verse doesn't - it just says it is Jesus. On the other hand I have an example of 6000 believing they saw Jesus himself - not the sun.
Why does it make any difference whether it's the sun or the Son? People can hallucinate either one.
Thinking that a human figure is Jesus makes more sense than hundreds of people thinking a sun like vision is Jesus. (while not stating that it looks like the sun like in the Fatima sun miracle).
What's a poor explanation? I assume you mean mass hallucination. I think mass hallucinations are more likely than people seeing dead men who have come back to life.
I'm saying 6000 thought they saw Jesus but it wasn't actually Jesus.

You're broad-brushing two billion people there. It's a sure bet that at least some Christians accept the reality of mass hallucinations. Besides, it's also certain that Richard isn't the only person who knows that people can and do hallucinate in groups.
I think in the Bible either there is a single hallucination (like Paul seeing Jesus) or the vision has a supernatural basis (i.e. genuine angels or a risen Jesus, etc). Also the opening of Carrier's blog seems to say that Christians really dislike the concept of mass hallucinations.
I don't speak for Richard Carrier.
I wonder why Carrier prefers the mass hallucination explanation over the fabrication explanation... he must have good reasons....
Please elaborate.
No. It's probably either a fabrication or a misidentification.
I think it is a case of mistaken identity (with the 6000) but it seems pretty clear that many people were convinced it was Jesus - and there is photographic proof.

What does it matter if there was a charismatic Rabbi at the core of the mythology? The supernatural embellishments, God, salvation, blood sacrifice for the sin of the world, etc, are still myths.

Jesus the Carpenter's siblings (one is James) and
Personally, I'd say probably figurative. But it's only slightly more probable than literal.

The likelihood that James was both a sibling and also a member of Jesus's closest buddies seems less than only a "brother-in-arms", but there's no way to tell.

There are so many problems. James was a common name. Paul knew nothing about Jesus's background other than what people told him. "Brother" is a word often used in casually idiomatic ways. Paul had reasons to emphasize his relationship to other close associates of Jesus. The list of murky word usage and motivation is long.

There's just no unscrambling that egg.

The part I find absurd is modern people trying to parse important information out of such semantic minutea. But, they all have their own agendas as well.
Tom

Hi TomC,

What's not realized generally with some people, with the line, "James is a common name"- is that this actually gives a very logical reason to context, and as to why Paul mentions "James the brother of the Lord" ( highlighted by Swammerdami, and doing a grand job :)).

There are more than one James, yes. How do you distinguish between the different James, to be portrayed in text for the readers? We can see the obvious distinctions: James the brother of John & son of Zebedee, James the son of Alphaeus, and then there's James the brother of the Lord. I agree with Swammi, regarding the level of writing competency.

Matthew: 13: 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?

James 'the lesser' is often used by us to identify him from James (the son of Zebedee).

What does it matter if there was a charismatic Rabbi at the core of the mythology? The supernatural embellishments, God, salvation, blood sacrifice for the sin of the world, etc, are still myths.

Let me explain my own interest. I am NOT a Christian. And the earliest developments in more ancient religions (Judaism, Hinduism, Druidism, Norse myth, etc.) are much more interesting to ME than early Christianity.

Why then am I active in these Jesus historicity threads? Know this:
(1) I read avidly on a variety of scientific and historic topics. I read at least two books on Jesus' historicity long before I joined this message-board. We recently moved; I brought scores of printed books to our new home; and will bring scores more on next visit to our old home. And most of my reading is of on-line books and articles.
(2) I like solving puzzles! A very wide variety of puzzles: Sudoko, guessing the murderer in an Agatha Christie novel, etc. I compose puzzles. To say much more would risk revealing my RL identity.

The consensus view of scholars, even when restricted to non-Christian scholars, is that there WAS an historic Jesus. Am I just a slave to "scientific consensus"? I don't think so: I reject the Stratfordian authorship hypothesis; I accept Greenberg's Amerindian hypothesis; and I accept Lynne Kelly's explanation for ancient monuments like Stonehenge. In each of these cases I reject the "expert consensus." I became convinced of the Gimbutas-Mallory model of Indo-European expansion when that was still a minority view; et cetera.

But all else equal, a layman like myself should usually follow an expert consensus without strong reason not to. I read the books about Jesus because I wondered what experts could guess about the historic man. Much of the Gospel stories are obviously fiction or exaggeration; but there are specific arguments, along with applications of common-sense, which make it VERY likely some historic Jesus from Galilee was executed by order of Pontius Pilate and inspired religious cult(s). Yet it remains unclear whether that historic man was primarily an insurrectionist, a preacher, or a healer.

The "mythical Christ" cult has become prominent only recently, and still is accepted by only a tiny minority of scholars IIUC. (This is true even when the opinions of Christian scholars are ignored.) I was, frankly, rather surprised to see that this cult has such a large following here at IIDB. I engaged in debate because I like puzzles and wondered if my own arguments could cause any changes of mind. It was purely the intellectual thrill of understanding the arguments for and against historicity that appealed to me, not any religious experience or agenda.

During this process I discovered by myself that the James-Jesus brotherhood was the single "conundrum" which made historicity so clear-cut. I was pleased when Googling indicated that some experts had come to a similar conclusion. I remain baffled that my arguments are not accepted here — I'm probably explaining them very poorly — and should give up.

BUT, I will mention that there are references to James 'the Just', brother of the Christ, OUTSIDE of Josephus and the canonical Bible. Hegesippus discusses James in FAR more detail than Josephus (and so does Clement), though Hegesippus' account is compatible with Josephus'. James is mentioned in other non-canonical works like the Epistle of Peter. These mentions render the dismissals of Josephus' and Paul's mentions even more laughable. But to understand that would require common sense.

Reactions: DBT
I think the historic Jesus may have been a rather minor figure (during his lifetime) about whom VERY LITTLE is known for sure except that he was from Galilee, was executed by order of Pontius Pilate (and probably had a brother named James!)
This sums up my attitude towards the whole thing very well. A kernel of truth at the heart of a big pile of legends. The whole thing turned into an epic, Greek style, myth. For reasons that had almost nothing to do with historical Jesus and everything to do with the agendas of later people.
Tom

ETA ~One reason I have trouble following this conversation is that some people seem to think that my opinions make me a mythicist. I see myself as an historicist. I'm certainly not a literalist. ~

Last edited:
Reactions: DBT
My main issue is that Carrier says that the sighting of Jesus by the 500+ could work in the same way as a "miracle of the sun"...
You didn't answer my question. I understand that yes, many people present at the supposed miracle saw nothing unusual. And I'm not sure how your reply has much to do with what I posted. And again, I'm not a Carrier apologist.
it is weird that 500+ would think it is Jesus when you're saying that Paul was the one who invented Jesus?
That's easy to explain. Paul could have made up Jesus, and 500 people could have thought they saw Jesus. There's no conflict there.
Thinking that a human figure is Jesus makes more sense than hundreds of people thinking a sun like vision is Jesus. (while not stating that it looks like the sun like in the Fatima sun miracle).
Again, you're not answering my questions. And I don't know who's arguing that hundreds of people thought a sun like vision was Jesus
I think mass hallucinations are more likely than people seeing dead men who have come back to life.
I'm saying 6000 thought they saw Jesus but it wasn't actually Jesus.
OK--I agree, but what does that have to do with what I sai
I think in the Bible either there is a single hallucination (like Paul seeing Jesus) or the vision has a supernatural basis (i.e. genuine angels or a risen Jesus, etc).
I agree that little in the Bible results from hallucinations. The miracle stories therein are no doubt works of fiction.
Also the opening of Carrier's blog seems to say that Christians really dislike the concept of mass hallucinations.
Like I said, Christian apologists will deny the mass-hallucination hypothesis for their own beloved miracles, but if a mass of people supposedly see a miracle that's not on the apologists' list, mass hallucination becomes suddenly viabl
I wonder why Carrier prefers the mass hallucination explanation over the fabrication explanation... he must have good reasons....
You'll need to ask him.
I think it is a case of mistaken identity (with the 6000) but it seems pretty clear that many people were convinced it was Jesus - and there is photographic proof.
Photographic proof of a man 6000 people mistook for Jesus? I don't need proof for that!

By the way, Jesus isn't the only guy appearing in strange places. I took a photo of this image on a post. At first I seriously thought it was a picture of Jim Morrison. Upon closer inspection, I saw it was just a rust spot.

We see what we imagine.

Attachments

• Jim Morrison.jpg
    Jim Morrison.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 2
I think the historic Jesus may have been a rather minor figure (during his lifetime) about whom VERY LITTLE is known for sure except that he was from Galilee, was executed by order of Pontius Pilate (and probably had a brother named James!)
This sums up my attitude towards the whole thing very well. A kernel of truth at the heart of a big pile of legends. The whole thing turned into an epic, Greek style, myth. For reasons that had almost nothing to do with historical Jesus and everything to do with the agendas of later people.
Swammerdami's version of Jesus is ad hoc. We have no evidence that Jesus was "a minor figure;" certainly nothing in the New Testament describes Jesus that way. Historicists actually claim Jesus was a minor figure to explain away the lack of evidence for Jesus from the time he supposedly live. In so doing they impugn the very sources they use to base his historicity on!

My main issue is that Carrier says that the sighting of Jesus by the 500+ could work in the same way as a "miracle of the sun"...
You didn't answer my question.
Ok it could be classed as a mass hallucination - it seems similar to UFO activity.
it is weird that 500+ would think it is Jesus when you're saying that Paul was the one who invented Jesus?
That's easy to explain. Paul could have made up Jesus, and 500 people could have thought they saw Jesus. There's no conflict there.
Do you have any real world example of a person being invented then very soon after 500+ people saying they saw them?
Again, you're not answering my questions. And I don't know who's arguing that hundreds of people thought a sun like vision was Jesus
Carrier is saying some people thought the Fatima sun miracle was Mary and seems to suggest that a similar thing could have happened with the 500+.
Also the opening of Carrier's blog seems to say that Christians really dislike the concept of mass hallucinations.
Like I said, Christian apologists will deny the mass-hallucination hypothesis for their own beloved miracles, but if a mass of people supposedly see a miracle that's not on the apologists' list, mass hallucination becomes suddenly viabl
But do you have any actual examples of this? i.e. miracles that are a result of mass hallucinations? Especially the kind of one mentioned in the Bible....
Photographic proof of a man 6000 people mistook for Jesus? I don't need proof for that!
Well I thought it was interesting.
By the way, Jesus isn't the only guy appearing in strange places. I took a photo of this image on a post. At first I seriously thought it was a picture of Jim Morrison. Upon closer inspection, I saw it was just a rust spot.

We see what we imagine.
Well this article also talks about the pareidolia you're talking about

Last edited:
Swammerdami's version of Jesus is ad hoc. We have no evidence that Jesus was "a minor figure;"

I try to write PRECISELY. Had I taken my time I might have been even more careful: "Jesus MIGHT have been a somewhat minor figure" but in any event what I did NOT write is "Jesus MUST have been a minor figure."

Do you know the difference between MUST and MAY, @Unknown Soldier ? I'm sorry if I sound irritated and/or pedantic, BUT You EITHER skimmed my post with low comprehension, OR you find it convenient to erect a strawman.

certainly nothing in the New Testament describes Jesus that way. Historicists actually claim Jesus was a minor figure to explain away the lack of evidence for Jesus from the time he supposedly live. In so doing they impugn the very sources they use to base his historicity on!

Wrong again. John the Baptist was likely more famous during his lifetime than Jesus was and he is barely mentioned in surviving texts outside Christian literature. Pontius Pilate was the most powerful man in Judaea for a while and, again, historical mentions, while exceeding Jesus', are rather uncommon.

If Jesus had actually raised the rotting corpse of Lazarus from the dead, or walked on water in the presence of witnesses, might such a deed have been mentioned in a preserved papyrus? Maybe, maybe not. But anyway very few, if any, here are arguing that Jesus really performed miraculous deeds.

I know a man who, like the historic Jesus, made a strong impression on hundreds or thousands of people but who, unlike Jesus, will probably disappear from memory in another generation. For me it's a bit personal — I've thought it sad that stories of his time will disappear, and have even thought of organizing some biography for him. Except as evidence that not all people with fame are written up, even in modern times when pen and paper are cheap compared with 1st century parchment, it is off-topic so I'll enclose it in spoiler tags.
I'll call him George, though that is not his name. All Thais have an honorific (e.g. Mister, Uncle, Colonel, Teacher) and George's honorific (I'll call it "Lion") is extremely rare, perhaps no longer in use in the 21st century. I'm somewhat familiar with George because of family ties; in fact his nephew now works full-time for me.

Many decades ago, much of Thailand was jungle beyond the reach of Army or Police. Citizens made their own laws. Lion George led a band of armed men; they settled disputes, and may have played a role like the legendary Robin Hood. He may have been a murderer, but my sources do not discuss that.

Lion George's career as "Robin Hood" was interesting. When someone stole cattle they didn't grab their rifle and pursue in anger, they talked to Lion George. A gentle but stern word from George got the cattle returned. One story: When the Army finally sent in a battalion to take him down, George captured a uniform and walkie-talkie and traipsed the jungle assisting in the search for himself!

Many heroes acquire fame via martyrdom, but George was eventually captured, served a very long prison term, and is now a very old man. Yet when my sister-in-law — who has Lion George's surname — had business at a bank a half-hour away the bank officer was startled and asked if she was related to Lion George! I've confirmed that George was famous long ago by asking old people for miles around. They remember Lion George, but tell me he's dead! He's not dead; for a while I saw him every day, picking up his grandson at the same school bus-stop where I picked up my kids. Even in old age he had a demeanor which reflected his long-ago status. I once had a minor dispute, many decades after George's "Robin Hood" days, which was quickly resolved with a phone call by the Lion. I've often thought someone should write a book preserving the story of this man and his era; but instead the story will soon scatter like dust in the wind.

Silly story. Most of you probably know people who were fairly famous but whose memory will soon disappear.

In any event, the story should help Infidels realize the absurd wrongness of the claim that if Jesus were highly charismatic and admired, his story would have surely been preserved by multiple sources. In an age where parchment and the hire of scribes was very expensive, no less.

Hope this helps.

Swammerdami's version of Jesus is ad hoc. We have no evidence that Jesus was "a minor figure;" certainly nothing in the New Testament describes Jesus that way. Historicists actually claim Jesus was a minor figure to explain away the lack of evidence for Jesus from the time he supposedly live. In so doing they impugn the very sources they use to base his historicity on!
Everybody's version of Jesus is ad hoc. In the absence of strong evidence there's nothing else but ad hoc.

I find the existence of a community that eventually became Christianity sufficient to believe that there's a kernel of truth at the heart of the Jesus "Legend of the Christ".
Everything about the Gospels suggests that Jesus was a minor figure in His day. An "unsung demigod", as it were. But even the people who were big wheels, at the time, were minor figures historically. Were they not mentioned in the NT how many people would now know about Herod, Pilate, or Caiaphas? They'd be tiny footnotes, only known to a handful of Jewish history nerds.

But also, something clearly happened. Christianity is the biggest religion on the planet. The most plausible explanation, to me, is a minor figure with an unusual back story got deified by later people with agendas of their own.
I find it most plausible that certain known, but embarrassing, facts about His life got turned into miracles. Like "bastard child of Roman centurion" became "Son of God, born to Virgin Mary", that sort of thing.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom