• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Did trump go too far for Republicans? He wants to raise taxes!

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
WASHINGTON — For years, Republicans have run for office on promises of cutting taxes and bolstering business to stimulate economic growth, pledging allegiance to a Reaganesque model of conservatism that has largely become the party’s orthodoxy.

But this election cycle, the Republican presidential candidate who currently leads in most polls is taking a different approach, and it is jangling the nerves of some of the party’s most traditional supporters.

The tendency of that candidate, the billionaire developer Donald J. Trump, to make provocative, headline-grabbing speeches has helped obscure an emerging set of beliefs: that he would raise taxes in certain areas, particularly on corporations that he believes do not act in the best interests of the United States.

In recent weeks, Mr. Trump has threatened to impose tariffs on American companies that put their factories in other countries. He has suggested he would increase taxes on the compensation of hedge fund managers. And he has vowed to change laws that allow American companies to benefit from cheaper tax rates by using mergers to base their operations outside the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/u...-of-donald-trumps-populist-tone-on-taxes.html

Do you expect more Republicans to say "me to" or draw a line at "no new taxes".

This is closing the barn door after the horse has left, grown old and is a rotting corpse.

Trump talks as if he thinks the POTUS is the same thing as a CEO of a private company.

It is disheartening that no reporter as mentioned to Trump that the president does not have the power to do such things. Makes me think that they have never heard of the separation of powers.

Disheartening that reporters generally have assumed the role of merely reporting what a candidate says rather than holding their feet to the fire when they say something ridiculous.

As for the separation of powers and this...

Trump talks as if he thinks the POTUS is the same thing as a CEO of a private company.

For the GOP, the separation of powers is something they have a love/hate relationship with. Loving it when Bush/Cheney promoted the "Unitary Executive" and then freaking out when Obama said "hey, that's a great idea...I'll use it, too!"

They also want a CEO in the White House...when it is one of their own. For at least the last 15 years they've been pushing the idea that "executive experience" is the most important qualification, and that executive business experience is even better. But when a Democrat is in office and takes executive action, that's tantamount to dictatorship.

As far as the raising taxes thing goes, I think Republicans - at least the establishment - are still hoping Trump will just go away. If he doesn't, and his poll numbers keep rising, they could be facing quite a dilemma. He could wind up being not just a problem for the party, but also their best chance at winning.

That's how our Governor acts. It tends to piss off the legislature.

But he got re-elected anyway. Of course that re-election was because the Democrat party ran orange man party switcher and because almost nobody under age 60 voted in Florida last year.

The President does have a certain amount of clout, and does submit a budget to Congress, which would include tax hikes.

Are you sure you are not mistaking political shorthand for a misunderstanding of the process?

"I will raise taxes on Corporations"
vs
"I will submit to Congress a budget that proposes raising taxes on Corporations?"

I get the impression that Trump wants to tax not to collect more revenue but to change the behavior of the corporations.

This is antithetical for Republicans. They normally seem to prefer that the Corporations use their money to change the behavior of the politicians.

Yeah, he is gonna be pissed off when he learns there is this thing called Congress.
He thinks he'll be able to just fire them.
White House Press Secretary, 2016: "The Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the President has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Liberal government have been swept away."

He thinks he'll be able to just fire them.
White House Press Secretary, 2016: "The Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the President has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Liberal government have been swept away."

Lol. Then he'll destroy Boston as a demonstration of his power.

Lol. Then he'll destroy Boston as a demonstration of his power.
Yes. Some Liberal Agent will suggest that he nuke Isis, but that's far too far away to serve as a demonstration.

Maybe the Republican Party misunderestimated how anti-corporate populism would resonate among its xenophobic reactionary base.

Trump is kind of leaning in the right direction. I think that companies that build stuff overseas to sell in the US should be held to the same labor and environmental standards as a company making stuff in the US. This should be negotiated in trade deals. But the existing trade deals suck so perhaps we should puts punitive tariffs on goods that fail to make the grade.

Or we could do what the Gov of FL wants to do and lower labor standards and environmental standards to the point that production in the US is competitively cheap with the 3rd world. That will bring the jobs back.

That's how our Governor acts. It tends to piss off the legislature.

But he got re-elected anyway. Of course that re-election was because the Democrat party ran orange man party switcher and because almost nobody under age 60 voted in Florida last year.
Orange man party switcher is still 500% better than Voldemort.

Or we could do what the Gov of FL wants to do and lower labor standards and environmental standards to the point that production in the US is competitively cheap with the 3rd world. That will bring the jobs back.

But will any Americans want to do those jobs?

It is disheartening that no reporter as mentioned to Trump that the president does not have the power to do such things. Makes me think that they have never heard of the separation of powers.

It's about popular appeal, not about honesty. He knows his support lies with idiots.

Back
Top Bottom