• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Did United Airlines have any other choice than to eject that passenger?

By allowing him to fly the net harm to passengers goes way up--hundreds don't get their flight rather than 4. Your side continues to refuse to look at the consequences of inaction.

They should have upped the inducement to passengers to the point where, if generous enough, people would be quite willing to take the offer. It would have been far cheaper in terms of both money and customer good will than the situation they are now in.

No one had yet show this to be the ONLY flight which would have satisfied United's needs.
Your side continues to refuse to look at the consequences of inaction.
1) you've yet to show that this IS the consequence.
2) Those hundreds of passengers are not Dr. Dao's responsibility.
3) HundredS? Plural? What class of plane carries 200 passengers and requires a crew of four?

You think a plane only makes one flight in a day?

By allowing him to fly the net harm to passengers goes way up--hundreds don't get their flight rather than 4. Your side continues to refuse to look at the consequences of inaction.

They should have upped the inducement to passengers to the point where, if generous enough, people would be quite willing to take the offer. It would have been far cheaper in terms of both money and customer good will than the situation they are now in.

While I agree that would be the best answer the people on the front line didn't have the authority to offer more (the IDB system has worked for many years. People grumble but this is the first time it's blown up badly) and the people who did have the authority wouldn't be at work at that hour.

No one had yet show this to be the ONLY flight which would have satisfied United's needs. 1) you've yet to show that this IS the consequence.
3) HundredS? Plural? What class of plane carries 200 passengers and requires a crew of four?

You still don't get it, do you?

Again, you've utterly failed to demonstrate that the need to get the crew on the flight in question was driven by anything other than convenience.

Maybe the Authoritarians in this thread are just "indian givers". Maybe they think that after selling and recieving payment for a bunch of grapes from a customer, the vendor may feel free to change her mind and reach down that customer's throat to recover the product she sold in good faith so that she can enjoy the grapes herself?

At some point ownership is achieved by the buyer. I and most of the sane world consider that moment to be when payment is delivered to the seller. Barring a safety issue which prevents delivery of the product.. At what point do the authoritarians in this thread imagine that the seller can reneg on their agreement, bought and paid for, for trivial reasons?

Maybe the Authoritarians in this thread are just "indian givers". Maybe they think that after selling and recieving payment for a bunch of grapes from a customer, the vendor may feel free to change her mind and reach down that customer's throat to recover the product she sold in good faith so that she can enjoy the grapes herself?

At some point ownership is achieved by the buyer. I and most of the sane world consider that moment to be when payment is delivered to the seller. Barring a safety issue which prevents delivery of the product.. At what point do the authoritarians in this thread imagine that the seller can reneg on their agreement, bought and paid for, for trivial reasons?

Well put. The problem being that those in a position of power and advantage tend to make rules that are balanced in favour of their own needs and wants.

No one had yet show this to be the ONLY flight which would have satisfied United's needs. 1) you've yet to show that this IS the consequence.

Skipping 1) and 2)?
Okay. A crew of two flight attendants can serve a hundred passengers. Unless one is dedicated to 1st class, then they can serve an additional fifty in the rest of the plane.
So, again, what class plane were they headed for? How did you determine 'hundreds' or did you just pull that out of your ass?

Yes is the better option. How we ought to behave is what's at issue. Ideally, when at odds with authority, procedure trumps goal. We should obey, then afterwards, later, we have grievances addressed.

If you know the rules better than the person trying to enforce them, you demand that the person contact his supervisor, to establish whether or not you're really violating a rule.
That's childish and wreaks of belligerence. There is no respect in that and if taught to behave like that, trouble is more apt to ensue. See, the issue isn't whether we can behave like that but whether we should. Think, can we talk back to cops and solve a problem that arises when one has done nothing wrong? Of course we CAN, but we shouldn't, and acting as though doing no wrong excuses our behavior wreaks havoc on society.

<on a personal note and with the mike turned away, I feel your pain on that and in today's atmosphere where resistance to authority is commonplace, not too many are going to overly ridicule you; in fact, you're likely to be applauded, but that we've come to expect irresponsible resistance doesn't make it the optimal choice.

Mike back on, however, your actions aren't all that off, just the order and attitude. Listen. That comes first. That means obey. If some stranger with no more authority than you tells you to do something, then you're not being advised to listen, as that's completely different and brings about a whole host of complexities. However, if someone with authoritative powers bucks you, you are not to buck back; you are to listen, period. You may not immediately get what you want, but then again, you're not supposed to. That may come later after you have listened and subsequently acted properly.

Our work cafeteria has a sign over the pre-made salads, saying that you can take them for a certain price, or you can add things to them and pay a 'by weight' price.
I was putting additional green pepper on a chef salad when this little shit of a fry cook started yelling at me that this wasn't allowed. The sign SAYS it's allowed.
The guy running the cash register tried to calm things down, and i was calming, until he said 'We'll let it go this one time.'
No, mutherfutzker, this is YOUR COMPANY'S STATED POLICY! I am NOT getting away with anything and i will want to be free to do this in the future, as well as anyone else who foolishly reads the posted sign and acts IAW posted policy.
With the mike off and behind closed doors, you get my high five. I can't help but appreciate your frustration.

I'm trying to tailor your example to reinforce the thrust of my point, but your example has a lot of gray area seeping in. I don't want to undermine my point dealing with variations and exceptions, etc. The manager showed up after tensions were already in the air. What would you have done had things not then went your way? If your kids are going to feed off your actions and your actions reinforce what your child will do, then no, caving in at every possible turn is certainly not the lesson here, but with more clear cut examples: police directives, personnel on a plane giving verbal orders, the lesson isn't as quickly lost. Knowing when to listen and when thinking for ourselves need to be put on pause is a learned skill.

The manager showed up and gave me the salad for free. I insisted on paying the 'by weight' price because that was what i wanted to do, that day and every fucking time it strikes me. THey can obey their own goddamned rules or they can take the sign down.
Attitude. The propensity to flair up is all too prominent. Fight, fight, fight back. I get it and all the accompanying grrrr, but a momentary stay on backlash with some temporary acquiescing to authority paves a far brighter road worthy of respect and admiration.

When a black man (who has done nothing whatsoever wrong) has been given a direct order, the fuss that could ensue (in light of the did nothing wrong stance) can yield much better results by bringing argumentation into the mix at a later time.

me said:
If a pilot instructs security to remove a passenger that is unwilling to leave, any fact that the passenger has done nothing wrong is wholly irrelevant. The representative of the company who is allowed to give and execute demands of this nature is an authority figure in so much as he or she has been granted authority to execute such tasks.
you said:
Except that the manager has not been granted this authority.
I don't want to hear that. That kind of slick willy talk is why we have the problems we have today. When CNN points out the wrongs committed towards certain victims, I am saddened by the liberal support the victims get, especially when all you can hope for is for somebody to knock the hell out of the victim. Get your ass off the plane as instructed to. The people making the demands are not their peers, and right and wrong definitely has nothing to do with anything remotely relevant. 1) listen. Then, later, 2) Address the problem.

Well, like she says, no means no. You're welcome to come inside, but if you're asked to leave, your welcome is vacated.

Youre twisted logic puts the steps in the wrong order.
There was no reason for the passanger to not be "welcome" in the first place.

the correct causality is:
Being a security risk -> not being welcome onbord -> ok to throw of the plane.
Not being welcome to remain seated came afterwards.

He was at one point welcome to board, but once he was told to leave and disobeyed the directive, he was no longer welcome to stay. I don't care if there was a security risk or not. The reason has no bearing. When you fail to be obedient to authority, you have the problem, and when someone applauds you, they have a problem, and when it falls into earshot of our impressionables, we all are set up to have a problem.

Yes is the better option. How we ought to behave is what's at issue. Ideally, when at odds with authority, procedure trumps goal. We should obey, then afterwards, later, we have grievances addressed.

If you know the rules better than the person trying to enforce them, you demand that the person contact his supervisor, to establish whether or not you're really violating a rule.
That's childish and wreaks of belligerence. There is no respect in that and if taught to behave like that, trouble is more apt to ensue. See, the issue isn't whether we can behave like that but whether we should. Think, can we talk back to cops and solve a problem that arises when one has done nothing wrong? Of course we CAN, but we shouldn't, and acting as though doing no wrong excuses our behavior wreaks havoc on society.
You see, I think corruption and abuse of power wreaks much more havok on society than making a stand for what is right ever has. Unchallanged abuse of power only encourages future abuses and it never gets any better. Its far better to make a small scene now and save every person subjected to the same mistreatment in the future from similar abuse. There is nothing childish about standing up for what is right. It is childish and cowardly to watch injustice unfold in front of you and say nothing.

Also, respect should be earned not given to any schmuck who shows up in a uniform. The authority figures are fallible humans too, and that uniform is no guarantee that the person wearing it isn't a dipshit or an asshole, or an idiot. Blindly obeying the orders of dipshits, assholes, and idiots is counterproductive, when there is always a chance that you can convince the uniformed moron that they are in the wrong, but that only happens when you disobey their commands.

You implore the victims of abuse to listen to and respect authority, but where is your plea to the authorities to listen to and respect citizens? Why shouldn't we expect and insist on these attributes from our authority figures?

A gate agent/manager isn't going to challenge years worth of both United's policy and the airlines as a whole policy on a random Sunday night on the belief of an improbably event. Can you see them calling up the manager and saying, "I believe one of the people that the computer has picked to IDB will resist and to get that person out we'll have to throw them against the arm rest?" The manager would say no.

What hurt more for your scenario in this case was needing four seats instead of one. If it was only one I believe they might have gone higher. But no airline had a procedure that said always find someone voluntarily.

For evil to triumph, good men need only go along with people pretending to have authority.

As to the rest:

Meh. I think you're talking around the issue you're actually trying to convey.
You bring race into it at the oddest times...

Youre twisted logic puts the steps in the wrong order.
There was no reason for the passanger to not be "welcome" in the first place.

the correct causality is:
Being a security risk -> not being welcome onbord -> ok to throw of the plane.

He was at one point welcome to board, but once he was told to leave and disobeyed the directive, he was no longer welcome to stay. I don't care if there was a security risk or not. The reason has no bearing. When you fail to be obedient to authority, you have the problem, and when someone applauds you, they have a problem, and when it falls into earshot of our impressionables, we all are set up to have a problem.
Of course it has bearing since they have no right to evict him from if he wasnt a security fisk.

When a black man (who has done nothing whatsoever wrong) has been given a direct order, the fuss that could ensue (in light of the did nothing wrong stance) can yield much better results by bringing argumentation into the mix at a later time.
This incident has nothing to do with race. No one except you has referenced race. Earlier in this thread you referenced white children. Now you bring in a some bizarre example with a black man. What point are you trying to make?

In Illinois you can't resist even an unlawful arrest. Only if excessive force is used, but pulling from the seat is not that.

Wrong. According to the USSC you have the right to defend yourself TO THE DEATH against unlawful arrest.
That's a popular myth. It was the Indiana Supreme Court that said it*, not the USSC. What the USSC said was that if you kill an officer attempting an illegal arrest, it's manslaughter rather than murder, which is not the same as saying you have a right to do it. Moreover, that USSC decision wasn't based on the constitution, but on English Common Law, which is a standard fallback source applied when there's no statute. Most states now have statutes on this point, making the USSC decision moot.

(* Arguably. The Indiana case is usually read as limited to cases of excessive force.)

Again, you've utterly failed to demonstrate that the need to get the crew on the flight in question was driven by anything other than convenience.

That's not a rebuttal at all.

The crew doesn't get there, the plane doesn't fly. The plane isn't in the right location so even if crew gets there later it still can't make it's flights until it manages to reposition to the right airport.

- - - Updated - - -

Skipping 1) and 2)?
Okay. A crew of two flight attendants can serve a hundred passengers. Unless one is dedicated to 1st class, then they can serve an additional fifty in the rest of the plane.
So, again, what class plane were they headed for? How did you determine 'hundreds' or did you just pull that out of your ass?

The problem is the plane won't make just one flight. That's how I'm getting hundreds--every flight it's supposed to make won't happen.

Wrong. According to the USSC you have the right to defend yourself TO THE DEATH against unlawful arrest.
That's a popular myth. It was the Indiana Supreme Court that said it*, not the USSC. What the USSC said was that if you kill an officer attempting an illegal arrest, it's manslaughter rather than murder, which is not the same as saying you have a right to do it. Moreover, that USSC decision wasn't based on the constitution, but on English Common Law, which is a standard fallback source applied when there's no statute. Most states now have statutes on this point, making the USSC decision moot.

(* Arguably. The Indiana case is usually read as limited to cases of excessive force.)
It might be a popular myth that it's a myth.

John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529. The USSC stated: “Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been committed.”

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/177/529/case.html

Last edited:

The crew doesn't get there, the plane doesn't fly. The plane isn't in the right location so even if crew gets there later it still can't make it's flights until it manages to reposition to the right airport.
No, you have provided no evidence that this is even true. That's what people keep telling you.

If THIS crew doesn't get there it might be no big deal because ANOTHER crew might get there in time from another city on another flight or other means of transportation.

People are (repeatedly) asking you to show EVIDENCE that THIS crew is super-duper special and ONLY this crew hitching a ride on THIS particular flight can satisfy the needs of the later flight.

If there are other options for the airline in supplying crew to the later flight then there isn't even a superficial venere of "need" for this crew to get on this flight. That's the rebuttal.

The crew doesn't get there, the plane doesn't fly.

At this point I have to believe that you're being deliberately intellectually dishonest.

There's no "the crew doesn't get there" at all. Chicago is a big city with two major airports and several flights to Louisville on a daily basis. There was no chance that the crew simply wouldn't be able to make it to Louisville. If all the planes were suddenly grounded they could still rent a car and get to Louisville the same night.

Of course it has bearing since they have no right to evict him from if he wasnt a security fisk.
What does rights have to do with anything? They had a reason to say "sorry for your luck and you have to now go." The reason doesn't even have to be a good one. If he's upset over that, he can 1) leave as instructed and later 2) address the issue. From that, the airline might make things right for him and possibly make some procedural adjustments so it doesn't effect others in this upsetting way. Another scenario is that if he's upset over it, he can (like before) 1) leave as instructed and later 2) address the issue, and if from that, he's not happy, then he can find more creative law biding methods to pursue. He could perhaps notify groups sympathetic to his situation and possibly garner media attention. If you want (more) sympathetic listeners, don't raise them to give reasons for us to blame the 'victim'.

Back
Top Bottom