• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Diet soda and your gut flora.

Marketing and advertizing can create demand for a product.

It is the market that creates the product and then advertises to incite the desire in the consumer. Every year, many products redesign themselves through innovation or repackaging, the deletion or addition of ingredients that have fallen out of favor or are currently in fashion.

The customer does have the ability to affect this agenda, and as more people are demanding healthier alternatives, the market is designing more options. Most are still 'processed foods' though, which confer minimal benefit in my opinion.

I mean WTF benefit is to be had from 97% organic ingredients if the other 3% are severely compromised? That's like being 'just a little bit pregnant'. :tongue:

As to the diet soda debate, those concerns have been around for decades. Finally, they may be gaining traction. My advise would be to drink water and avoid all of the sugary sodas as well as most juices.

And yet water is full of chemicals too. What's left?

It is the market that creates the product and then advertises to incite the desire in the consumer. Every year, many products redesign themselves through innovation or repackaging, the deletion or addition of ingredients that have fallen out of favor or are currently in fashion.

The customer does have the ability to affect this agenda, and as more people are demanding healthier alternatives, the market is designing more options. Most are still 'processed foods' though, which confer minimal benefit in my opinion.

I mean WTF benefit is to be had from 97% organic ingredients if the other 3% are severely compromised? That's like being 'just a little bit pregnant'. :tongue:

As to the diet soda debate, those concerns have been around for decades. Finally, they may be gaining traction. My advise would be to drink water and avoid all of the sugary sodas as well as most juices.

Filter your water before drinking? I think the sugar content in soft drinks is far worse healthwise than the chemicals in our towns water supply.

Filter your water before drinking? I think the sugar content in soft drinks is far worse healthwise than the chemicals in our towns water supply.
But if you remove all the chemicals from a bottle of water all you have left is a vacuum.

But if you remove all the chemicals from a bottle of water all you have left is a vacuum.

Who knows, bottled vacuum may be a good thing, the next big health kick, no calories, lose weight fast. ;)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...ter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes
As most here are well informed and this may seem boring.I think it should be repeated until the message sinks in.
This could go in PD because it is as much about corporate greed as it is about science.
And WTF is acesluflame?

Oh,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acesulfame_potassium

Greed? It is the demand that creates the market. Not greed.

Both, of course.

We do not live in an all-or-nothing world.

---

Since this study is on mice on an exclusively diet-soda diet, these result will probably apply for humans and as long as they consume nothing but diet-soda (or exculsively sweeten their nutriments with saccharin, aspartame and sucralose).

And cheese. :D

Back
Top Bottom