• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Diet soda and your gut flora.

Of course the people selling the soda are operating out of greed. But not personal greed. Institutional, mandated by law, greed. They must, by law, seek every way to maximize profits. But they are also constrained by the law. The problem is that the corporations have a lot of power to distort the law in their favor. They have managed to get five Supreme Court Justices that bow and scrape to the dominance of corporate power.

But to the OP.

This is something serious. If true, we shouldn't throw the soda sellers in jail. We should massively educate people to the dangers of messing with their normal flora and challenge the soda makers to make something that doesn't harm the bacteria in the gut.

It's a good thing I hate diet soda. And I have not been drinking any soda for the last 5 years

And the debate goes on....

"It's much too early, on the basis of this one study, [to conclude that] artificial sweeteners have negative impacts on humans' [risk for diabetes]," says James Hill, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado.

He points to a randomized controlled trial published in 2011 that found artificial sweeteners helped to limit the rise in blood sugar in a group of slightly overweight people, compared with sugar.

It would have been very useful for the article to quantify "heavy consumers of artificial sweeteners". The paper itself is behind a paywall.

Gut flora research has been a big thing as of late. Thanks Activia, you and your shitty yogurt.

They are finding out it is even involved in things like immunity.

I think eventually we will develop foods that enhance our natural flora, but people don't really think about that when they make food choices, yet.

Enhance our natural flora? The natural flora is about as well understood as neurology.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...ter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes
As most here are well informed and this may seem boring.I think it should be repeated until the message sinks in.
This could go in PD because it is as much about corporate greed as it is about science.
And WTF is acesluflame?

Oh,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acesulfame_potassium

Greed? It is the demand that creates the market. Not greed.

Marketing and advertizing can create demand for a product.

Greed? It is the demand that creates the market. Not greed.

It is the market that creates the product and then advertises to incite the desire in the consumer. Every year, many products redesign themselves through innovation or repackaging, the deletion or addition of ingredients that have fallen out of favor or are currently in fashion.

The customer does have the ability to affect this agenda, and as more people are demanding healthier alternatives, the market is designing more options. Most are still 'processed foods' though, which confer minimal benefit in my opinion.

I mean WTF benefit is to be had from 97% organic ingredients if the other 3% are severely compromised? That's like being 'just a little bit pregnant'. :tongue:

As to the diet soda debate, those concerns have been around for decades. Finally, they may be gaining traction. My advise would be to drink water and avoid all of the sugary sodas as well as most juices.

So we are just puppets then?

We are (basically) a collection of drives, needs, hopes, fears, desires, aversions, likes and dislikes, etc, etc, which marketeers, doing their research, understanding what is likely to work, develop advertizing techniques, product placement, etc, which play on our all too human nature. The desire to fit in, the desire to look cool, find acceptance, to be healthy, to enjoy life, to find meaning and satisfaction.....

So we are just puppets then?

More like lab specimens if you do any research on how the FDA determine whether or not various food additives get to market. 'Long term research' is better known as market share. After 9 years working retail grocery, my shopping list gets shorter by the month. GMO's would not be so controversial if the process had been transparent from the start.

But to the OP.

This is something serious. If true, we shouldn't throw the soda sellers in jail. We should massively educate people to the dangers of messing with their normal flora
It would be nice if our primary care physicians educated us on the dangers of being lab rats for the food industry. My assumption is their insurance doesn't cover getting sued by the food indusrty.

and challenge the soda makers to make something that doesn't harm the bacteria in the gut.
How's nothing sound? Sounds good to me.

More like lab specimens if you do any research on how the FDA determine whether or not various food additives get to market. 'Long term research' is better known as market share. After 9 years working retail grocery, my shopping list gets shorter by the month. GMO's would not be so controversial if the process had been transparent from the start.
Me thinks executives at the FDA were executives in the food industry were executives at the FDA were executives in the food industry. This way the food industry can determine whats good for the food industry. Saweet!

Back
Top Bottom