• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Disappearing Evangelists

It appears that many people, not necessarily the religious, experience cognitive dissonance whenever some pet belief of theirs has doubt cast upon it.

Absolutely. I think the peculiar thing about the religious is that they are actually practiced in tolerating cognitive dissonance. The Bible teaches you not to believe your lyin' eyes, right?

Orthodox atheists? That's a new one for me.

Out of curiosity, am I an evangelist?
I'd define "evangelist" as a person who seeks to convince others of some claims where convincing others that the claims are true is more important than the truth of those claims. So for example, a Christian evangelist wants to convince others that Jesus was raised from the dead. Although the evangelist might sincerely believe Jesus was resurrected from the dead, he may stretch the truth to convince others that Jesus was resurrected. In other words, he gives his efforts to evangelize a higher priority than the truth.

So to answer your question, I do not know your motives, so I cannot say if you are an evangelist.
Is steve-bank?
I don't know his motives either, so I don't know if he's an evangelist.
According to my definition, no, I'm not an evangelist because truth is more important to me than any claim. I describe myself as a "truth seeker."

I've seen atheists and humanists use the term evangelical atheists to describe obnoxious atheists who feel it's their duty to convert religious people to atheism.
Those "obnoxious atheists" are for the most part responding to efforts on the part of the religious to convert them or others to some religion. It appears that there is a double standard in which religious evangelism enjoys a privileged position in which it is generally accepted without criticism. If atheists go public with their views on religious belief, by contrast, they are derided as loud and obnoxious even if they are reacting to the religious efforts to convert them!
I just found the entire thread a bit humorous.
I'm not sure what you mean, but I do find those "disappearing evangelists" to be funny in some ways.

Out of curiosity, am I an evangelist?
I'd define "evangelist" as a person who seeks to convince others of some claims where convincing others that the claims are true is more important than the truth of those claims. So for example, a Christian evangelist wants to convince others that Jesus was raised from the dead. Although the evangelist might sincerely believe Jesus was resurrected from the dead, he may stretch the truth to convince others that Jesus was resurrected. In other words, he gives his efforts to evangelize a higher priority than the truth.

So to answer your question, I do not know your motives, so I cannot say if you are an evangelist.
Is steve-bank?
I don't know his motives either, so I don't know if he's an evangelist.
According to my definition, no, I'm not an evangelist because truth is more important to me than any claim. I describe myself as a "truth seeker."
So for two posters you've known for half a year and whose philosophical objectives are no secret, you fear to assert their motives. But for a random flyby poster who said nothing about their motives, you feel quite confident in asserting the "evangelism" of?

Interestingly, I am pretty sure that every evangelist in the history of evangelism have considered themselves to be seekers of truth.

So for two posters you've known for half a year and whose philosophical objectives are no secret, you fear to assert their motives.
You presume way too much. Aside from myself, I don't know anybody's "philosophical objectives."
But for a random flyby poster who said nothing about their motives, you feel quite confident in asserting the "evangelism" of?
Again, you presume way too much. I don't know if Fritz is an evangelist, and I never said he was. At most, I'd say he acted like an evangelist exiting the debate when he wasn't able to make his case.

You're obviously trying to trap me in my own words. I think the Pharisees tried that with Christ, or so I have read.
Interestingly, I am pretty sure that every evangelist in the history of evangelism have considered themselves to be seekers of truth.
I'm not so sure. Religious people tend to harbor a lot of painful doubts that they won't normally avow. Nevertheless they press on "fighting the good fight" against what I think is a fight against those reasonable doubts. By contrast, I honor doubt as a signpost to truth and away from error. I know full well that truth doesn't care what I want to believe or what I hope is real, and doubt is my brain telling me I'm wrong. So rather than call the religious seekers of truth, I think they're better described as "seekers of what they hope is truth."

Is this guy an evangelist?

The hunt for Nigerians who can change into cats

Those curious enough to get close in the Gbagi market quickly dispersed when they heard his message. "Anyone that can provide any evidence for the existence of the supernatural, be it juju or voodoo magic, will be offered 2.5m naira ($6,000, £4,650)," he announced repeatedly in Yoruba and English.

The 24-year-old atheist has recently emerged as a rebel publicly contesting the powers of the supernatural in this deeply religious country.
Belief in African traditional religions and its juju components are widespread in Nigeria, with many combining them with either Christianity or Islam, according to a 2010 report by the Pew Research Centre.

Many Nigerians believe that magic charms can allow humans to morph into cats, protect bare skins from sharp blades and make money appear in a clay pot.

Is this guy an evangelist?

Back
Top Bottom