• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Disaster for Ukraine. Rebels route Ukrainian forces at Donetsk

Because of the word "yet."
How?

When Russia invades Eastern Ukraine (or all of Ukraine, for that matter) I'm betting that you will not only find no reason to criticize the invasion, but will post justifications that mirror more or less exactly whatever propaganda is coming out of the Kremlin.

Just like regarding the annexation of Crimea.

When Russia invades Eastern Ukraine (or all of Ukraine, for that matter) .
Why on earth would Russia want to invade Ukraine? Particularly Eastern Ukraine?

Russia doesn’t really want or need the Ukraine. What Russia wants is a stable, dependable and neutral partner with which it can do business. Even now, while the Novorussians are demanding full independence, Russia has been pushing a different plan altogether. Moscow wants a unitary Ukraine in which each region would have de-facto autonomy but still be part of the same state.

Powerbrokers in the West are so maniacally obsessed with controlling the Ukraine, they can’t imagine that Russia doesn’t want the same thing. But Russia doesn’t want the Ukraine. It has no need for a broken, dysfunctional, failed state with massive social problems, that will require billions upon billions of dollars to rebuild.

Sure, there are cultural, historical, religious and even family ties between Russia and the Ukraine, but that does not mean they want to run the place. Russia already got what it wanted, Crimea. As for the rest, Moscow’s attitude is, “You broke it, you own it."
The Ukraine, As We Know It, Is Gone Forever

Well because for you and the rest of the Putin Cheer Squad, Ukraine doesn't even exist. It is just part of "greater Russia."

It is a territory to be reconquered.

Well because for you and the rest of the Putin Cheer Squad, Ukraine doesn't even exist. It is just part of "greater Russia."
It is a territory to be reconquered.
I've never suggested anything of the sort. Which is why you didn't use the quote function. ;)

Well, strategically of course, they wouldn't. So if the invasion was about strategic considerations, then we'd seen Putin pull up from that. But since you were arguing that Russia invaded in order to save Russian speakers from mistreatment, and there are as many Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine as there are in the Crimea, by your logic Russia absolutely has the right to march into Eastern Ukraine. And there are already some peacekeeping forces there, so it wouldn't even be an invasion. Right?

This is an immensely valuable insight into where some of the stranger ideas on this thread have come from.

I'm particularly fond of the claims that a CIA cabal are running the Ukrainian government, that Nazis are running the Ukrainian government, and that Germany is running the Ukrainian government. We know this is true because it was said by an American from Florida who is related to people from Russia.

When Russia invades Eastern Ukraine (or all of Ukraine, for that matter) I'm betting that you will not only find no reason to criticize the invasion, but will post justifications that mirror more or less exactly whatever propaganda is coming out of the Kremlin.

Just like regarding the annexation of Crimea.
Yes, I was against annexation of Crimea by.... Ukraine.
And I am against any possible annexation of Eastern Ukraine by Russia.

Yes, I was against annexation of Crimea by.... Ukraine.
And I am against any possible annexation of Eastern Ukraine by Russia.

This reminds me of Russia's assurances that they absolutely would not annex Crimea, just a couple of weeks before they actually annexed it. I have little doubt that if Russia did decide to annex eastern Ukraine, you would suddenly defend and support their actions, and claim you've always done so.

Methinks there should be a democratic plebiscite of Ukraine citizens on whether they wish to be independent or part of mother Russia. Who should hold such a plebiscite? Who can be trusted? Most certainly not the major players but a neutral entity. I don't trust the UN either.

Methinks there should be a democratic plebiscite of Ukraine citizens on whether they wish to be independent or part of mother Russia. Who should hold such a plebiscite? Who can be trusted? Most certainly not the major players but a neutral entity. I don't trust the UN either.
In ideal world but in reality Russians don't want eastern ukraine and even less so for the whole Ukraine.
Ukraine is broken economically and Russia is not really ready to pay 100% cost of fixing it.

EU want Ukraine in their sphere of interest but are unwilling to fork out the billions needed fix the economy.

Double that failed to fix Greece, completely anyway. 15 billion is a drop in the ocean for a country the size of Ukraine, that's well and truly stuffed.

They've offered $15 billion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/05/eu-ukraine-support-idUSL6N0M227R20140305

There's also $1 billion of loan guarantees from the US, and an agreement for the EU to resell Russian gas to Ukraine.
You honestly believe you can fix ukrainian economy with $15 bil?

no, Ukraine asked for $31billion, the EU offered 15, and they're touring the Ukraine looking to see what the situation is.

But there are ongoing negotiations for how much the EU will pay, which suggests they are willing to pay after all, or at least up to a point.

Your earlier posts would seem to indicate that Russia would have to do so out of the moral imperative to protect the Russian peoples populating those areas from mistreatment and hardship

Just like how they selflessly stepped in to protect the peoples of Crimea

Right?
Russia doesn’t really want or need the Ukraine. What Russia wants is a stable, dependable and neutral partner .....Moscow wants a unitary Ukraine in which each region would have de-facto autonomy but still be part of the same state.
Doesn't this just seem kinda odd to anyone else
Russia wants a stable partner and will get it by dividing a country into little parts when they clearly are already on different pages and contrary to each other?
but that does not mean they want to run the place. Russia already got what it wanted, Crimea. As for the rest, Moscow’s attitude is, “You broke it, you own it."
I find this kinda ironic given that earlier your defense of Russias actions in Crimea were how Russia moved in to protect the Ukranian Russians from the big bad Ukrainian Nazis out of selfless good will, historical sympathies and a desire to promote peace in the region
Now that Russia has what it wanted (ie Crimea) they are basically fine telling the other Ukranian Russians to get lost because they have nothing worth "protecting" them over

They've offered $15 billion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/05/eu-ukraine-support-idUSL6N0M227R20140305

There's also $1 billion of loan guarantees from the US, and an agreement for the EU to resell Russian gas to Ukraine.
You honestly believe you can fix ukrainian economy with $15 bil?
IMF loans?

Putin Need Not Invade The Ukraine: The IMF Is Already Looting It

Authored by Pepe Escobar at OpEd News,

The IMF has approved a $17 billion loan to Ukraine. The first $3.2 billion tranche has arrived on Wednesday.

It’s essential to identify the conditions attached to this Mafia-style “loan.” Nothing remotely similar to reviving the Ukrainian economy is in play. The scheme is inextricably linked to the IMF’s notorious, one-size-fits-all “structural adjustment” policy, known to hundreds of millions from Latin America and Southeast Asia to Southern Europe.

The regime changers in Kiev have duly complied, launching the inevitable austerity package — from tax hikes and frozen pensions to a stiff, over 50 percent rise on the price of natural gas heating Ukrainian homes. The “Ukrainian people” won’t be able to pay their utility bills this coming winter.

Predictably, the massive loan is not for the benefit of “the Ukrainian people.” Kiev is essentially bankrupt. Creditors range from Western banks to Gazprom — which is owed no less than $2.7 billion. The “loan” will pay back these creditors; not to mention that $5 billion of the total is earmarked for payments of — what else — previous IMF loans. It goes without saying that a lot of the funds will be duly pocketed — Afghanistan-style — by the current bunch of oligarchs aligned with the “Yats” government in Kiev

Back
Top Bottom