• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Distinguishing between classical music composers

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Piano Puzzler yet.

If you want to learn about distinguishing between classical music composers, it's a great place to start.

It's a bit like learning a language, I think. I can make nothing of Indian music, the classical sort anyway, but that's because I never listen to any, and I'm baffled by modern pop because it's so bloody loud it gives me earache. I was brought up on Welsh folksong (oh, and hymns. I suppose), then moved on to trad jazz, and it was only in my late teens I got on to classical. The great trick is to marry someone who loves it, and listen when people play it. As far as I can see it is hugely more interesting than any other music on earth, and I can quite easily distinguish the major composers now. I haven't got the attention-span for symphonies, and left to myself I'd always choose songs, because I've got the words to hang onto. That's why I love Schubert. Bloody genius!

You might try this. When you get a new recording of classical music, sit down and just listen to it. Don't do anything else. While it is not true to say that Classical music was never intended to be background music (some of it was) mostly it was a very intense experience that the listeners would focus on more than we are used to doing today with the radio. You might try going to your local symphony orchestra if it is any good. Once you concentrate on the music, I think you will find that it isn't all the same.

Also, with classical music it is important to get good performances. There are plenty of budget classical cds out there that are underwhelming. Avoid those if you don't 'get' classical music; they won't help you. For the same reason I would avoid classical radio stations, unless you are listening at the times where they are playing performances in their entirety (in other words, not prime time) otherwise you'll be getting bits and pieces and never hearing the complete work. The same goes for 'best of' compilations.

This is not good advice, it is EXCELLENTadvice, a sine qua non piece of advice. Read, mark, and inwardly digest, and then act on it. Listen to classical music on the best audio equipment you can afford, or in live performance by a good orchestra, group, quartet or whatever.

And if you want to know what the composer has done, or is attempting to do, I know of no better source to begin with than the series of slim paperbacks called "Unlocking the Masters" published by the Amadeus Press. One warning: choose those written by David Hurwitz about your favourite Masters, he is interesting and amusing and very informative. Recently other authors were brought in, and though good, they seem to be more the main line of musicologists. And Hurwitz is not as good on Beethoven as he is on, say, Haydn, Mozart, Mahler, Sibelius, Dvorak, Shostakovich. Each volume comes with a CD whose tracks arte fully commented on by the author.

It's a bit like learning a language, I think. I can make nothing of Indian music, the classical sort anyway, but that's because I never listen to any, and I'm baffled by modern pop because it's so bloody loud it gives me earache. I was brought up on Welsh folksong (oh, and hymns. I suppose), then moved on to trad jazz, and it was only in my late teens I got on to classical. The great trick is to marry someone who loves it, and listen when people play it. As far as I can see it is hugely more interesting than any other music on earth, and I can quite easily distinguish the major composers now. I haven't got the attention-span for symphonies, and left to myself I'd always choose songs, because I've got the words to hang onto. That's why I love Schubert. Bloody genius!

I love Schubert's chamber music and symphonies, can't stand his songs, much prefer the handful of Mahler's songs.
btw Myfanwy and Cwm Rhondda are in my Top Ten list, perhaps partly because of my time in northern Pembs, when it was still Pembs.

20th century music by Russian composers is my sweet spot. Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Schnittke, Myakovsky, Silvestrov, Eshpai, Gliere, all have a sound I can identify.

For beginners, off the top of my head, I'd say some of the most approachable pieces, orchestral, are

Vivaldi concertos
Mozart piano concertos
Mozart symphonies, 40, Prague, Jupiter
Beethoven symphonies 3,5,6,7 and 9
Dvorak From the New World symphony
Tchaikovsky 5,6 symphony
Brahms variations on a theme by Haydn
Schoenberg Transfigured Nights
Stravinsky Firebird Suite
Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain
Holst The Planets
Copland Appalachian Springs

Also fun and educative but more advanced are master classes.

For Beethoven piano sonata fans, here's one with Daniel Barenboim:

For beginners, off the top of my head, I'd say some of the most approachable pieces, orchestral, are

Vivaldi concertos
Mozart piano concertos
Tchaikovsky 5,6 symphony
Holst The Planets

Who played them best? Who has the best recording? (Not just the ones you mention here, but any other good composer.)

Vivaldi concertos
Mozart piano concertos
Tchaikovsky 5,6 symphony
Holst The Planets

Who played them best? Who has the best recording? (Not just the ones you mention here, but any other good composer.)

IMO that's at least an intermediate consideration. If you don't know anything about the piece, how are you going to determine if it's played well?

But a couple things...first, I disagree with the audiophilists. Unless you're in a quiet room doing nothing else, earbuds and mp3s are fine. Say you fall love with something big, like Beethovens ninth. At that point you might want to explore different performances on quality systems. But to survey, no, I wouldn't bother.

Another thing - if you're walking or driving or if there's any other noise around at all, avoid digital recordings. The dynamic range is too wide, requiring constant adjusting, or else either the pianissimos are inaudible or the fortissimo s blast your head off. Analog recordings are compressed, and much better for less than ideal settings. Relatedly, when looking for performances, stick the classic names that keep coming up: Ormandy, Szell, Von Karajan. Pianists Serkin, Gould, Casadesus, Rubenstein etc, if it's an old and famous name, start with that.

Now an exception to the above, for me, is Baroque music(can't be too simple, can we). Baroque music on modern instruments, except piano, I find distracting. And original instrument recording didn't come into its own until the digital age. But again, that's the result of many years of listening. A newcomer might not notice or care. But for me, no vibrato on the strings, fur crissake!

Vivaldi concertos
Mozart piano concertos
Tchaikovsky 5,6 symphony
Holst The Planets

To more fully answer, some of my favorites are

Rubenstein esp for Chopin or Brahms(he studied in Berlin with Brahmsists)
Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky. After him, Boulez, who brings out the inner voices like no one else but sometimes plays too many games with the tempi. Tilson-Thomas is good, too.
Roslyn Tureck for solo Bach piano. I haven't heard her Bach concertos. I grew with a Russian version of which I've forgotten the soloist. Gould is good, but fast. David Fray is good.
Just about anybody for Mozart, he seems to be hard to fuck up.
Herreweghe for the big Bach pieces.
I grew up with Serkin playing Beethoven, but I like Barenboim.

I'm pretty much limited to what Google tells me:

"What are the best recordings of Bach"
"What are the best recordings of Beethoven"

I definitely have an appreciation for pieces that are played well, but Google is my filter. I can only see what it tells me. Might have to track down some classical music forums.

I'm pretty much limited to what Google tells me:

"What are the best recordings of Bach"
"What are the best recordings of Beethoven"

I definitely have an appreciation for pieces that are played well, but Google is my filter. I can only see what it tells me. Might have to track down some classical music forums.

Forums are good, so are YouTube comments. They can get pretty granular, opera especially.

If one is just learning how to appreciate classical music, Opera might be too far to push. Unless he/she has a love of musical theater.

Back
Top Bottom