• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Distracted driving--texting is the real danger

I would like to hypothesize that the kind of phone you use drastically alters the degree of distraction. For instance, a dumb phone, while standing reasonably as a distraction, the additional level of danger posed is so substantially lower than smart phones that it barely qualifies as being a public health hazard on public roadways causing need to heighten the awareness backed by millions of dollars. Smart phones, on the other hand, especially when texting adds a lethal element so substantial that texting while driving should be disabled as a possibility by the manufacturer with hefty penalties for failure to do so.

Okay, I was being dramatic, but there is, I hypothesize, a substantial variance of focus between dumb phones and smart phones. I can feel the buttons on dumb phones. Not with smart phones. I don't get auto correct with dumb phones. I get into a verbal cussing match with smart phones who insist I say something other than what I want to say. I don't have to back space with dumb phones. With smart phones, I have to coax it like a child. I can text with a dumb phone at 100mph in pouring down rain while running a red light with no visibility. With a smart phone, you need 30 minutes just to convince the phone that I really mean what I want to say and not what it thinks I have in mind.

Okay, maybe it won't make for a good hypothesis, but I didn't want to look up the rant thread

You can text on a 'dumb' phone too. Quite frankly, I don't think your difficulty with texting in smart phones versus dumb phones is common.

You can text on a 'dumb' phone too.
Quite easily and quickly with minimal distraction.

Quite frankly, I don't think your difficulty with texting in smart phones versus dumb phones is common.

oh, okay, maybe it's me, but it's not until having to endure the insanity of it all did I come to appreciate many of the texts I've received from smart phone users that was reminiscent of a cross between a drunk and horrible speller.

Quite frankly, I don't think your difficulty with texting in smart phones versus dumb phones is common.

oh, okay, maybe it's me, but it's not until having to endure the insanity of it all did I come to appreciate many of the texts I've received from smart phone users that was reminiscent of a cross between a drunk and horrible speller.
With all our technical advances, I would think that they could come up with a phone that you could actually talk with the person on the other end rather than having to type out my message on that tiny little keyboard and having to take my eyes of the road to try to read their confusing, misspelled answer. :devil:

With all our technical advances, I would think that they could come up with a phone that you could actually talk with the person on the other end rather than having to type out my message on that tiny little keyboard and having to take my eyes of the road to try to read their confusing, misspelled answer. :devil:
Actually people are shit at driving while talking on the phone (speed up... slow down... speed up... slow down...). They just become dangerous hazards when texting or looking at Facebook while driving.

While texting is the worst (and far worse than DUI), talking on cell phones while driving is more than a nusiance, it is dangerous and causes accidents.

The OP study looked only the act to staying in one's land on a stretch of road without other traffic to contend with, no merging, no lane changes, no turns, not slow obstacles, etc.. Merely keeping one's cars between the line requires no decision making. Anything that does involve decisions and reactions to events in hampered by the cognitive load of holding a conversation. Research shows that the talking on the phone causes our filed of vision to narrow and even when you're looking out the windshield, you are far more likely to miss important visual info that's right in front of you.
When the person we are talking with is not in the car with us, serving as another set of eyes and senses to react to and keep our attention on the road, that makes accidents more likely. Of the 1.1 million auto accidents (about 20% of all crashes) that involve a driver talking on a cell phone, between 300,000 and 500,000 of them are beyond the number predicted if talking on a phone had no causal impact on crashes and were involved only by random chance (based on the % of drivers talking on phone at any given moment).

All cell phone use while driving should be illegal, as should all vehicles that allow use of built-in communication systems while the car is moving. Also, any use of a phone while driving should relate to being at-fault in the same way it does for DUI.

While texting is the worst (and far worse than DUI), talking on cell phones while driving is more than a nusiance, it is dangerous and causes accidents.

The OP study looked only the act to staying in one's land on a stretch of road without other traffic to contend with, no merging, no lane changes, no turns, not slow obstacles, etc.. Merely keeping one's cars between the line requires no decision making. Anything that does involve decisions and reactions to events in hampered by the cognitive load of holding a conversation. Research shows that the talking on the phone causes our filed of vision to narrow and even when you're looking out the windshield, you are far more likely to miss important visual info that's right in front of you.
When the person we are talking with is not in the car with us, serving as another set of eyes and senses to react to and keep our attention on the road, that makes accidents more likely. Of the 1.1 million auto accidents (about 20% of all crashes) that involve a driver talking on a cell phone, between 300,000 and 500,000 of them are beyond the number predicted if talking on a phone had no causal impact on crashes and were involved only by random chance (based on the % of drivers talking on phone at any given moment).

It's called Hey Cortana if you are one of three people using Windows Phone besides me or Ok Google if you have android. You just talk and it will text. When I'm driving and get a text Cortana says who the text is from and asks if I want to read it or ignore it. If I read it, it reads it too me over the bluetooth and and then asks if I want to respnd and I tell it what to text. I never hand text when driving.....

You can text on a 'dumb' phone too. Quite frankly, I don't think your difficulty with texting in smart phones versus dumb phones is common.

I find the same thing as fast. I can "scan" buttons without looking. Not so on a screen.

This is the reason that I _despise_ the sound system in my mother's car. A touch screen where you can't just touch the button that is the third one over and then feel for the volume dial. You have to LOOK at the dame thing and then align your finger properly before pressing. Thing makes me enraged.

New research indicates the cognitive load of visualizing things during a conversation affects reaction time. I wonder if a replication study will be funded as I think it's a compelling argument.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36475180

New research indicates the cognitive load of visualizing things during a conversation affects reaction time. I wonder if a replication study will be funded as I think it's a compelling argument.

This has been known for a long time.I have a study put out by DOT in 1997!
DOT HS 808-635.
There is no such thing as multitasking.
Anyone that thinks they are a good driver when using a mobile phone is a dangerous fool!

DOT HS 808-635.
Anyone that thinks they are a good driver when using a mobile phone is a dangerous fool!

The thing is most driving is not a conscious task. You certainly can multitask a muscle-memory task with something that actually takes conscious thought.

DOT HS 808-635.

The thing is most driving is not a conscious task.

Then you are doing it wrong. You need to stop doing that before you kill someone.

Back
Top Bottom