• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DNS fix

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
In the last few weeks, my internet connection has been getting worse and worse. Usually it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get a connection to almost any website. And other problems. I am with ATT. Today I read that Cloud Flare has started a new high speed, privacy oriented DNS look up service at 1.1.1.1. I am running Linux, so I checked my communications configuration. It was set to get DNS from DCHP, that is ATT. I set my system to use 1.1.1.1 and a second back up DNS server at 8.26.56.26 (Comodo DNS server). I shut things down and restarted my internet connection. What a difference! All my problems went away. It does not take 4 to 6 attempts to get MSNBC working. Or 2 minutes to get Google search running. I no longer have multiple failures, time outs when trying to connect to a given website! Cloud Flare states their DNS website is optimized for speed, and it is indeed fast.

I mention this so if anybody here has been having similar problems, you might want to look at this easy, free fix. A mighty Thank You to Cloud Flare. And Comodo.

Very useful to know. It honestly never occurred to me that one could use DNS other than the one provided by your ISP.

Yes, nice to know. Our local ATT DNS server is obviously a very unwell DNS server. And in the last 2 weeks was getting worse. after testing Cloud Flare at 1.1.1.1 I can attest it is fast indeed. With every moron website seeming to have to access 67 different sites to work, a bad DNS server is insufferable.

More on Cloud Flare. Their new DNS server is also a research project to learn more obout DNS junk noise.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/1-1-1-1-cloudflares-new-dns-attracting-gigabits-per-second-of-rubbish/

Cloudflare's new speed and privacy enhancing domain name system (DNS) servers, launched on Sunday, are also part of an experiment being conducted in partnership with the Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC).
The experiment aims to understand how DNS can be improved in terms of performance, security, and privacy.
"We are now critically reliant on the integrity of the DNS, yet the details of the way it operates still remains largely opaque," wrote APNIC's chief scientist Geoff Huston in a blog post.

In the last few weeks, my internet connection has been getting worse and worse. Usually it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get a connection to almost any website. And other problems. I am with ATT. Today I read that Cloud Flare has started a new high speed, privacy oriented DNS look up service at 1.1.1.1. I am running Linux, so I checked my communications configuration. It was set to get DNS from DCHP, that is ATT.
I have been using Private Internet Access's DNS for a while now. The evidence that they respect your privacy is based on a story of being served a notice to hand over logs and they explained "we don't keep any."

I don't like Cloudflare, because I have, on occasion, found myself solving CAPTCHAs for 10 minutes. This is not fixing the internet. This is making it worse. They are setting themselves up as the solution to DDoS attacks, which requires being the gatekeepers to all internet traffic, but they are a company that has already said they are happy to kick people off the internet for political reasons.

Oh, and let's not forget Cloudbleed. Thanks guys. Your scheme of terminating SSL traffic with buggy proxies meant you were spilling everyone's data, which they thought was encrypted, in plaintext over the internet.

No thanks.

In the last few weeks, my internet connection has been getting worse and worse. Usually it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get a connection to almost any website. And other problems. I am with ATT. Today I read that Cloud Flare has started a new high speed, privacy oriented DNS look up service at 1.1.1.1. I am running Linux, so I checked my communications configuration. It was set to get DNS from DCHP, that is ATT.
I have been using Private Internet Access's DNS for a while now. The evidence that they respect your privacy is based on a story of being served a notice to hand over logs and they explained "we don't keep any."

I don't like Cloudflare, because I have, on occasion, found myself solving CAPTCHAs for 10 minutes. This is not fixing the internet. This is making it worse. They are setting themselves up as the solution to DDoS attacks, which requires being the gatekeepers to all internet traffic, but they are a company that has already said they are happy to kick people off the internet for political reasons.

Oh, and let's not forget Cloudbleed. Thanks guys. Your scheme of terminating SSL traffic with buggy proxies meant you were spilling everyone's data, which they thought was encrypted, in plaintext over the internet.

No thanks.

Ouch.

Back
Top Bottom