• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do minds exist?

None of that can be put together without a mind to do it.

Language is appropriate to circumstance.

But it is not forced by circumstance.

here, lets start over with the part you avoid: what is a mind, the mind, and minds?

Would a definition help?

the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to * think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought.

I would suggest that that definition is fairly good, although I'd add the word consciously where I've inserted a *, to distinguish conscious from unconscious activity.

If you're after something a bit more academic, you could go with something more akin to Theory of Mind.
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Theory+of+mind

You seem to have a certain degree of scepticism that discussion is even possible, despite this being a popular topic for the last few hundred years. Can you share what you're trying to get at with your demands for definitions?
what, is this a ventriloquism act? I ask untershesh something and you reply
I looked up your link, still not getting what a mind is actually, just the proposition there is one
you think untershmesh agrees with you definition?
I asked him like 5 times and he comes up empty, just more bullshit from him every time
thanks for the support

I asked him like 5 times and he comes up empty, just more bullshit from him every time

You have the memory of a three year old.

One does not need to explain what gravity is to know it is there.

Like a petulant child you can cry and cry for a total explanation if you want.

But nothing in this world is really explained. All we know is the way the phenomena we observe behaves. We don't know what it is.

It's absurd I even engage with you. Your position is the most absurd imaginable.

That which is most real is the thing we would most say exists.

Our minds are the thing most real to us.

One does not need to explain what gravity is to know it is there.
if I have no idea what you mean by "gravity" then how the fuck would I know it real?

You need eyes and a memory.

I drop a ball. It falls.

I tell you it falls because of gravity.

Can you claim that gravity does not exist? The ball really didn't fall?

if I have no idea what you mean by "gravity" then how the fuck would I know it real?

I drop a ball. It falls.

You skip an important step:
You have still not defined what "gravity" has to do with falling balls.

I drop a ball. It falls.

You skip an important step:
You have still not defined what "gravity" has to do with falling balls.

I did. I said it was gravity that CAUSED balls to fall.

WHAT THE FUCK IS A MIND, MINDS, AND THE MIND??
EASILY DISTRACTED LIKE A THREE YEAR OLD, THE SUBJECT IS THE MIND, MINDS, AND A MIND NOT FUCKING GRAVITY
GOD FUCK BULLSHIT

I did. I said it was gravity that CAUSED balls to fall.

So if balls are accelerated by an electric field then "gravity" = electric field ?

Are you claiming it is not possible to clearly see gravity at work?

Because that is all that is necessary for my point to be valid.

We must be able to witness the effects of gravity for us to know it exists. We don't have to know what it is to witness the effects. That is all.

If we have the experience of a mind then we without doubt know it exists. You can't experience things that don't exist.

Not sure what the problem is...if the word ''mind'' represents the ability and function of a brain to form a virtual representation, memory integration, etc, of information received from its senses, sight, sounds, smells, yada, yada,... with the associated sensations of pleasure, attraction, aversion or whatever, in the form of feelings and their related thoughts, then this is the very phenomena that we are referring to when we use the word ''mind.''

So if balls are accelerated by an electric field then "gravity" = electric field ?

We must be able to witness the effects of gravity for us to know it exists. We don't have to know what it is to witness the effects. That is all.

If we have the experience of a mind then we without doubt know it exists. You can't experience things that don't exist.

You take a lot for granted: what does "gravity" mean? I does not mean "things fall".

The theory of gravity is a theory that, among other things. describes how things fall.

Gravity is a force between masses.
It is not "falling things".

Now: what is "mind"?

You take a lot for granted: what does "gravity" mean? I does not mean "things fall".

The theory of gravity is a theory that, among other things. describes how things fall.

This is not any kind of refutation to my argument.

I do not need to know anything about gravity to see it's effects.

If you can't see the effects of gravity you are blind.

seriously you, untershmesh, should consider you are the one whom is the three year old
if a three year old asked you what is a mind you'd be stumped, think about it

You dont have know anything about the scientific concept of gravity to see falling apples.

But to actually see the apples as falling due toba force between masses requires knowledge of the concept of gravity.

You dont have know anything about the scientific concept of gravity to see falling apples.

But to actually see the apples as falling due toba force between masses requires knowledge of the concept of gravity.

That is nonsense.

You don't see anything different either way.

You still see the sun setting when you know it is the earth turning.

seriously you, untershmesh, should consider you are the one whom is the three year old
if a three year old asked you what is a mind you'd be stumped, think about it

If you experience a mind there is no way to rationally claim it doesn't exist.

Things that don't exist can't be experienced.

That is nonsense.

You don't see anything different either way.

You still see the sun setting when you know it is the earth turning.

Yes. I havent said anything against that. It is the interpretation of what you see that differ.

The concept of "mind" is an interpretation of what you experience and as any interpretation it can be mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom