• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Doctors 'fighting for life' of Russia's opposition leader Navalny after alleged poisoning

Why are we talking about it?

You tell me, you are the one who took Copernicus to task for saying 'Siberia' when you felt he should have use the term 'Far East'.
And that should have been the end of it.
Who the fuck are you to tell me about is called what in Russia?

I am the guy who actually read the wiki link you provided with no context, and noted that it said:
wiki article said:
Although traditionally considered part of Siberia, the Russian Far East is categorized separately from Siberia in Russian regional schemes
I can't confirm that part, All I can confirm that I have never heard anyone referring to Far East as Siberia. But hey, I have never lived in 18 century.

Now, tell me again how Oregon was traditionally considered part of the American Midwest.
Traditionally Oregon had no name.

And that should have been the end of it.
Then why did you feel compelled to add a wiki link after the fact? It is the wiki link that provided the context showing why someone might refer to Siberia despite the far east being more correct.

Who the fuck are you to tell me about is called what in Russia?

I am the guy who actually read the wiki link you provided with no context, and noted that it said:
wiki article said:
Although traditionally considered part of Siberia, the Russian Far East is categorized separately from Siberia in Russian regional schemes
I can't confirm that part, All I can confirm that I have never heard anyone referring to Far East as Siberia. But hey, I have never lived in 18 century.

But you did confirm it by providing the wiki link that contains that statement.

KeepTalking said:
Now, tell me again how Oregon was traditionally considered part of the American Midwest.
Traditionally Oregon had no name.

Yes, very much in the same way that Siberia, Far East, Soviet, and even Russia all traditionally had no name. So, what's your point?

On the other hand, Oregon was once a part of the Northwest Territory, so if a person who is not native to North America would refer to someplace in Oregon as having rather been in the Northwest Territory, it would be understandable how they came to make that reference, and they might even be correct in the right context.

Meanwhile Navalny was waken up from coma and doing really well according to germans.
Quality control is lacking in poison lab.

Meanwhile Navalny was waken up from coma and doing really well according to germans.
Quality control is lacking in poison lab.

Navalny can now reportedly get out of bed and walk around a little. Long term health effects are not known.

Russian opposition leader Navalny able to leave hospital bed

What we do know now is Navalny has been poisoned with a new strain of Novichok. It appears that Putin's little helpers have been refining the assassination weapon. The fact that it is a more recently developed strain makes it even clearer that the highest levels of the Russian government (i.e. Putin) sanctioned this assassination attempt.

Also, Putin's party has lost a couple of important elections in Novosibirsk and Tomsk. Not terribly serious, but also not good news for the "benevolent tsar".

You asked for a link, I provided you a link.

I didn't dispute that you provided me with a link, only that it explained why you made what appeared to be a distinction without a difference. My guess is that you were just being your argumentative self.

yeah, you created few pages of arguments (while being wrong) and I am the argumentative one.

You asked for a link, I provided you a link.

I didn't dispute that you provided me with a link, only that it explained why you made what appeared to be a distinction without a difference. My guess is that you were just being your argumentative self.

yeah, you created few pages of arguments (while being wrong) and I am the argumentative one.

Well, I'll admit I can be argumentative, too. So, just to correct the record here, you looked at my original comment that Navalny was in Siberia to make political hay out of the protests in Siberia. You then jumped to the conclusion that I was referring to the ones in the Far East (Дальный Восток), which included the big one that started in Khabarovsk. But I was referring to the ones that had spread more generally, since they had spread well beyond Khabarovsk. Navalny was not in the Far East when he was poisoned. He was in Tomsk. In fact, Putin's party lost elections in both Tomsk and Novosibirsk, where anti-Putin protest had also erupted back in the spring and summer. My remark was about Siberia generally, not just the Far East where they started. Putin was more worried about those regional elections, and he should have been. Navalny was there to support Putin's opposition locally, not in the Far East.

The latest news is that Navalny's supporters claim that they found a water bottle with traces of Novichok in Navalny's hotel room. They apparently suspected he had been poisoned in the hotel before he left, so they sent what they claimed were water bottles and other items from the hotel room for testing in Germany.

Navalny team alleges Novichok found in hotel water bottle

Just a quick note regarding the confusion between Siberia 'Сибирь' and the Russian Far East 'Дальный Восток': I'm a non-native Russian speaker who lived over there a couple of times briefly and a native English speaker. Russian speakers talking about the portions of Russia in Asia are, in my experience, quite consistent about distinguishing between Сибирь and Дальный Восток. I can't recall any instance of any communication with a Russian speaker or document where Сибирь has been explicitly inclusive of the Russian Far East. On the other hand, in my experience as an English speaker, the only times I've had communications with people who don't treat the Russian Far East as part of Siberia have been when I was talking to Russians. It seems like the semantics of Siberia and Сибирь are not identical between the two languages.

Hopefully that's helpful to folks here, Anglophones and русскоговорящим both.

Just a quick note regarding the confusion between Siberia 'Сибирь' and the Russian Far East 'Дальный Восток': I'm a non-native Russian speaker who lived over there a couple of times briefly and a native English speaker. Russian speakers talking about the portions of Russia in Asia are, in my experience, quite consistent about distinguishing between Сибирь and Дальный Восток. I can't recall any instance of any communication with a Russian speaker or document where Сибирь has been explicitly inclusive of the Russian Far East. On the other hand, in my experience as an English speaker, the only times I've had communications with people who don't treat the Russian Far East as part of Siberia have been when I was talking to Russians. It seems like the semantics of Siberia and Сибирь are not identical between the two languages.

Hopefully that's helpful to folks here, Anglophones and русскоговорящим both.

Thanks, Melange. That's a good explanation of why barbos was motivated to make the distinction. My Russian and experiences there are almost certainly not as good as yours, so I never encountered this distinction in Russian. Except for a day in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskaya, I've never been to Siberia or the Far East. Of course, in English, "Siberia" refers to the broader region, and most English speakers are not familiar enough with the geography to know exactly what the "Far East" encompasses. My references were to Navalny's trip to the region that was not part of the Far East. I was puzzled as to why barbos had made the distinction, but it is clear to me now.

The latest news is that Navalny has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Apparently, he is competing with Donald Trump this time. :)

Алексея Навального выдвинули на Нобелевскую премию мира (Non-Russian readers will need to use Google Translate)

Back
Top Bottom