• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does absolute truth exist?

But if those rules are good ones and they correspond to facts about the universe then they are truths.

What do you mean by "corresponds"? And how do you know that they are "good ones"?

Then they are like recepies: if they tasted good when we tried them then the recepy was "tasty".

Are there absolute tasties?

Speakpigeon,
To clarify about truth statements, I was just trying to group any given expression that is understood to be true under the umbrella of "truth statement" and that may have been a mistake because you got confused.
Thanks, that was helpful.

In terms of what you were trying to convey, the usual "true statement" would be much better. Your expression is only good if you are assuming that strickly speaking statements are not true but can effectively refer to truths, i.e. other things which may be true like perhaps, say, propositions. Personally I could use it in this sense but here I will keep to "true statements".

and for your assertion there is only one context, you dismiss the obvious fact there is more than one context.
Your opinion.

You should give specific examples of contexts. Particularly obvious ones perhaps.

there is a context where reality is not the only context and that context is reality because there is a context where you make wild claims not founded in reality.
hope this helps you.
Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.

oh yeah...
from google dictionary: "context":
"the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed."
maybe you have a problem with that definition too.
Thanks, at least here is something constructive.

Now this view of context is effectively irrelevant to the ordinary notion of truth. The usual notion of truth is such that truth is conceived as independent of what human beings may understand about a statement or of their ability to assess it as true or not true. Truth is commonly understood to be a property of either the statements themselves or of something statements may refer to (propositions etc.). Sure, people will obviously entertain and express various opinions and beliefs about the truth or falsehood of any statement and these opinions and beliefs are indeed commonly understood as being strongly affected by context as you define it but that does not effect what people mean by "truth". Truth does not depend on context, only our beliefs about the truth of particular statements does.
EB

I'm not sure how existence could be conceived of as relative. We may be mistaken when we believe that the universe exists for example but if it exists then its existence is absolute. If it does not exist then its existence does not exist either and so cannot be said to be relative (or not absolute).

Of course the notion of existence might be regarded as somehow meaningless or without a referent but that would be a different issue.

Finally, that human beings conceive of the existence of things does not make the existence of these things somehow dependent on us, or relative to our own existence, or non-absolute.
EB
I see a lot of typing and not one absolute truth, .
Yet some people clearly did see an absolute truth. So you must both be right.

Absolute and Relative Truths Both Exist---a no brainer

Abslute truths exist eternally as metpahysical-1 abstract concepts of mind/intellect. Humans occassionally discover and rediscover these absolute truths via nervous system ergo brains ability to access complexities associated with metaphysical-1 abstract concepts. ex written language involving counting and non-counting symbolisms, icons,pictographs etc.......

Transcendental Pi is ratio of a perfect circle to that perfect circles diameter just a wee bit longer--- .1 ---- than say the 3 same length sides of a triangle having value 3.

These two are absolute, diametrically opposite case scearios of a 2D shape at its maximum and at its minimum.

Metaphysical-1, positive curvature, perfect circle of infinite angle, and

Metaphysical-1 Euclidean perfect triangle having the minimal 3 angles.

There exists a finite set of infinite absolute truths and finite set of relative truths. imho

Pi looks like this 3.141..........

3.1^3 = 29.791...................

3.1415^3 = 31.00 35 3...............
...takes 5 digits or integers to get the 31

Pi^3.1415926 = 31.00 62 7...............
...3rd powering is associated with and XYZ, Cartesian process of volumetric accounting.....
...takes 7 or 8 digits or integers to get the 62 7........

The regular icosa{20}hedron has 31 great circle or polygonal planes-- 6, 10 and 15 ----

The sum of the angles, of a Euclidean triangle, is eternally 180 degrees, when the base unity is 360 degees.

The sum of the angles, of a positive( Riemann } triangles is eternally more than 180 degrees, when base unity is 360 degrees.

The sum of the angles, of a negative( Lobveskian? } triangle, is eternally less than 180 degrees, when base unity is 360 degrees.

Still waiting for Max Tegmark to address this, tho obviously will affirm these absolute truths to his list. Thx Max

Someone mentioned goemetry and here is a perfect example of Universal absolute truth existing as metaphysical-1 concept that is complementary to any context of our finite, occupied space Universe.

Ex there exists qw metaphysical-1 mind/intellect, only 5 regular/symmetrical, polyhedra, that, may manifest as an occupied space.

1} icosa{20}hedron--- stably structural system,
2} octa{8}hedron--stably structural system,
3} tetra{4}hedron---stably structural system,
------------------------------------------------
4} pentagonal-dodeca{12}hedron--non-stable ergo non-structural system,
5} cube aka regular hexa{6}hedron---non-stabel ergo non-structural system.
Thank you Max Tegmark for your confirmation thereof.
r6

Last edited:
That a ball falls to the earth when dropped is a truth.

That a ball falls to earth is an abstract law.
And false if the ball is lighter than air or if the ball is mounted on something.

Fact is that you cannot specify a truth. You can only specify more or less generic rules.

The only truths are tautologies.

That a ball falls to earth is an observation of how things work.

One ball, one fall. This has nothing to do with trying to make predictions about other falls.

In that you have one truth.

But as I said, it is a human truth from a human perspective. Those are the only truths available to us. But some of this type are available.

The day your father dies, that is a truth that most comprehend.

I still don't understand. What difference do you make between "absolute truth" and "one absolute truth"?

Do you know the difference between absolute knowledge and knowing one thing?
You don't say where you got this idea of absolute knowledge but you should be aware that there are different notions of absolute knowledge. One is from Hegel for example, where absolute knowledge is "knowledge in the form of the complete self-consciousness and self-possession of spirit" and so really has nothing to do with what you seem to be referring to.

Another is from Kant (see for example http://www.philosophy-dictionary.org/ABSOLUTE):
Kant refers to absolute reality and knowledge, in contrast with empirical reality and empirical knowledge. To say that space and time are transcendentally ideal is to deny that they have absolute reality. To have absolute knowledge would be to know something about a thing in itself, not an appearance or object of sensible intuition.
Again, nothing to do with what you say.

There is also Husserl, (see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phenomenology_of_Spirit), for whom absolute knowledge is knowledge regarded as fundamental to reality. Again nothing so specific as what you suggest here.

And the same is obvioulsy true of the notion of absolute truth.

It is the same difference.

Absolute truth is all possible truth. If all I have is one truth I never know for certain it is the whole truth. I never know for certain it is absolute. It could be part of some trick.
Ok, it's what you mean by absolute truth but you give no source. You should be aware that your sense isn't at all the usual sense. It may be the sense used by some people but you would need to really start by specifying first what you mean by it.

The only way to have certainty is to have all truths, ultimate truth.
That's your opinion but that not the usual meaning of absolute knowledge or absolute truth.

More importantly, I think you are probably confusing the usual concept of absolute knowledge, which I believe would be knowledge of something fundamental to reality, whatever that may mean, with some argument concocted by some Super Bright mind to the effect that, as you just explained here, no knowledge is possible without having all knowledge. That's an interesting idea. I know it to be false though. However, even without me saying anything about that, you should realise that you would need to prove what you say. The usual argument, that if you don't know absolutely everything of reality then you may be mistaken about what you think you know doesn't in fact apply to all knowledge. In effect, if you do know something, without knowing everything, then nothing that you don't know could possibly change the fact that you know this something, and that's a consequence of what we mean by "knowledge". So in effect, you are merely assuming first that you don't know if you know something. But, if you knew that you know something then you would know that your argument does not hold water. That being said, I in fact accept a restriction of your argument to a certain kind of knowledge, where in this case it is obviously true, at least as far as we know now.

Finally, given how none explained what he meant, it is no apparent to me that you two are really talking about the same kind of "absolute truth". So you may need to revisit that assumption as well.
EB

But if those rules are good ones and they correspond to facts about the universe then they are truths.

What do you mean by "corresponds"? And how do you know that they are "good ones"?
Again, in the usual concept of truth, the truth of a statement is conceived as independent of our ability to know that the statement is true or our ability to justify our belief that it is true.

You would have to explain how a statement could not possibly be true of the real world. Your explanation would have to steer clear of anything to do with the ability of human beings to justify why or even know that a statement would be true. The question is: Why no statement could be possibly true of the real world. I haven't seen anything like an explanation of that so far.
EB

Again, in the usual concept of truth, the truth of a statement is conceived as independent of our ability to know that the statement is true or our ability to justify our belief that it is true.

You would have to explain how a statement could not possibly be true of the real world. Your explanation would have to steer clear of anything to do with the ability of human beings to justify why or even know that a statement would be true. The question is: Why no statement could be possibly true of the real world. I haven't seen anything like an explanation of that so far.
EB

Why dont answer the question you cite?

And false if the ball is lighter than air or if the ball is mounted on something.

Fact is that you cannot specify a truth.
The question is not to specify a truth or even to exibit one. The OP asserts that there are no absolute truths so if you thinks that's right you would need to explain why it is in terms of either the concept of truth or that of statement in relation to that of reality.
EB

Fact is that you cannot specify a truth.
The question is not to specify a truth or even to exibit one. The OP asserts that there are no absolute truths so if you thinks that's right you would need to explain why it is in terms of either the concept of truth or that of statement in relation to that of reality.
EB

Eh? That was my answer to a specific post.

EB

Why dont answer the question you cite?
Because me I don't think there's any good argument for that view.

And if you don't what to justify your views, be my guest.
EB

r6
Oh goodness no! It's the TimeCube!!! Run!

Then they are like recepies: if they tasted good when we tried them then the recepy was "tasty".

They're good because they work for reasons that don't vary. For instance, if I hold a 10 lb iron ball six feet above the surface of an object with the mass of the Earth, it will fall to that surface at a constant speed every time. These are objective criteria which are very different from the subjective ones such as tastiness. It works for reasons completely unrelated to our opinions about it.

Speakpigeon, there is a context where there is something true and there is a context where something is false.
all contexts includes the context where there is something true and the context where something is false.
there, you got two contexts to work with.. use your imagination you might come up with more.
go back to the OP if you need to, which I think you do because you haven't really addressed it.

r6
Oh goodness no! It's the TimeCube!!! Run!

LMAO. You know that site has been online since at least 1998? I'm impressed that he keeps the hosting bill paid and the domain renewed.

They're good because they work for reasons that don't vary. For instance, if I hold a 10 lb iron ball six feet above the surface of an object with the mass of the Earth, it will fall to that surface at a constant speed every time. These are objective criteria which are very different from the subjective ones such as tastiness. It works for reasons completely unrelated to our opinions about it.

Objective? American or british pounds?
In the end it all goes back to man. There is a reality, but truth is not what you think.

Back
Top Bottom