• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does absolute truth exist?

LoL, "ultimate" truth.
Funny characters around here

LoL, "ultimate" truth.

It seems that your objection about context is easily overcome: by specifying the context, a relative statement can become an absolute one. Or are you saying the context can never be adequately captured in language? For instance, the statement "the interior angles of a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees" can be disputed in the context of non-Euclidean geometries. But that's not an objection to the absolute truth of the statement, it's an objection to it not being specific enough. I can simply rephrase the statement to "the interior angles of a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees in the context of Euclidean geometry." Phrased in such a way, how can the truth of this statement be anything other than absolute?

LoL, "ultimate" truth.

It seems that your objection about context is easily overcome: by specifying the context, a relative statement can become an absolute one. Or are you saying the context can never be adequately captured in language? For instance, the statement "the interior angles of a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees" can be disputed in the context of non-Euclidean geometries. But that's not an objection to the absolute truth of the statement, it's an objection to it not being specific enough. I can simply rephrase the statement to "the interior angles of a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees in the context of Euclidean geometry." Phrased in such a way, how can the truth of this statement be anything other than absolute?

What if you toss the triangle into a black hole?

Not sure if serious, but black holes are pretty much disqualified from being anywhere remotely near the ballpark of the "in the context of Euclidean geometry" clause of the statement as typed. In any case, if the hypothetical triangle becomes spaghettified, it's simply no longer a perfect Euclidean triangle, which is still consistent with the statement.

Not sure if serious, but black holes are pretty much disqualified from being anywhere remotely near the ballpark of the "in the context of Euclidean geometry" clause of the statement as typed. In any case, if the hypothetical triangle becomes spaghettified, it's simply no longer a perfect Euclidean triangle, which is still consistent with the statement.

OK fine. What if someone gets the Reality Gem and decides that Euclidean geometry has perfect triangles add up to 164 degrees within a four meter radius of you?

It really sucks that I don't have the Reality Gem. :mad:

I still don't understand. What difference do you make between "absolute truth" and "one absolute truth"?

Do you know the difference between absolute knowledge and knowing one thing?

It is the same difference.

Absolute truth is all possible truth. If all I have is one truth I never know for certain it is the whole truth. I never know for certain it is absolute. It could be part of some trick.

The only way to have certainty is to have all truths, ultimate truth.

You dont "have" truths. Your model of how the world behaves is more or less useful.

LoL, "ultimate" truth.

I really don't understand your gibberish.
I said "Absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts."
what don't you understand?
you think you have an absolute truth supply it, the OP doesn't relent because you might propose a something that is absolutely true in a context.
absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts, I don't know what piece of information you are missing to understand what I said about it.
as far as what you posted whoo hoo, you find something to be true in a context.

Absolute truth is all possible truth. If all I have is one truth I never know for certain it is the whole truth. I never know for certain it is absolute. It could be part of some trick.

You dont "have" truths. Your model of how the world behaves is more or less useful.

Finally another who accepts that it is understanding rather than knowledge found in the real (physical) world while only in the magic world of metaphysics exists such as truth. Metaphysical rational argument is just a trick of art for those who only speak via premise.

That a ball falls to the earth when dropped is a truth.

It doesn't matter what model describes why or how fast.

There are many truths, but they are human truths made from a human perspective.

Finally another who accepts that it is understanding rather than knowledge found in the real (physical) world while only in the magic world of metaphysics exists such as truth. Metaphysical rational argument is just a trick of art for those who only speak via premise.

I'm fascinated how many that fails to see humans for the information system we are and whole heartedly believs that "knowledge", "truth" and "meaning" are facts instead of behavior.

That a ball falls to the earth when dropped is a truth.

That a ball falls to earth is an abstract law.
And false if the ball is lighter than air or if the ball is mounted on something.

Fact is that you cannot specify a truth. You can only specify more or less generic rules.

The only truths are tautologies.

But if those rules are good ones and they correspond to facts about the universe then they are truths.

any wagers that the discussion might get back to absolute truth after the truth of truths is discussed?

Back
Top Bottom