• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does absolute truth exist?

you are using a conditional statement, it is only true based on whatever context it is true in.
Doesn't make sense. Conditionals are true irrespective of circumstances. As I already explained, if you cared to read, only the consequent is dependent on circumstances as expressed in the antecedent.

In the context of water being unable to boil water doesn't boil at 100C and from the OP "Absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts" so you haven't provided an absolute truth..
Your prose here makes no sense whatever.

And when water boils, it is absolutely true that water boils.

If you don't have the time to post proper answers please don't post them at all.
EB

The truth of the statement "water boils at 100°C given specific conditions" doesn't depend on any context we know of so it is an "absolute truth" according to your home-made definition.

If you think you have a point you'd need to reconsider how to tried to put it across.
EB
I kind of like this remark...
In a context where all propositions are false the proposition "water boils at 100C given specific conditions" is false.

The truth of the statement "water boils at 100°C given specific conditions" doesn't depend on any context we know of so it is an "absolute truth" according to your home-made definition.

If you think you have a point you'd need to reconsider how to tried to put it across.
EB
In a context where all propositions are false the proposition "water boils at 100C given specific conditions" is false.
There are no circumstances when the statement "water boils at 100°C given specific conditions" is false.

There are also no circumstances where all statements would be false.

If you believe differently, please identify those circumstances for me. Rembember, you defined context as: the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed. Your context where all propositions are false does not specify any actual circumstances.
EB

There are no circumstances when the statement "water boils at 100°C given specific conditions" is false.
sure there are, one circumstance is when the statement "water boils at 100°C given specific conditions" is false.
There are also no circumstances where all statements would be false.
Except in the context where all statements are false.
If you believe differently, please identify those circumstances for me.
sure no problem.
Rembember, you defined context as: the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.
at least you understand the less nuanced arrangement of words but have trouble piecing together the broader picture.
Your context where all propositions are false does not specify any actual circumstances.
EB
sure it does, the circumstance is that all propositions are false.

That's not an actual circumstance. It sounds like you're saying something along the lines of "Two plus two doesn't always equal four because there's the circumstance where it sometimes equals five".

That's not an actual circumstance.
I am seeing a no true scotsman fallacy here...
It sounds like you're saying something along the lines of "Two plus two doesn't always equal four because there's the circumstance where it sometimes equals five".
nope not saying that you are

OK, so you're saying that "two plus two equals four" is an absolute truth then?

1 + 1 = 4 Synergetically

1 + 1 = 2

1 triangle + 1 triangle = 2 triangles, however, synergetically;

1 triangle + 1 triangle can equal 4 triangles all of same size.

This is the only known, numerically geometrical pathway, to visualizing synergy.

1 female + 1 male may synergetically result in many mores males and/of fermales.

Biology is the most complex of all sciences.

I dismissed your comment
I looking at it a second time I can say i agree with it in a practical sense

OK, in what practical sense would there be a context where 2+2=4 would not be a true statement?

1 + 1 = 2

This is the only known, numerically geometrical pathway, to visualizing synergy.

1 female + 1 male may synergetically result in many mores males and/of fermales.

OK, in what practical sense would there be a context where 2+2=4 would not be a true statement?
^all^ not true in a context where ^all^ is false...
ho hum...

Such as ...
I didn't say any context has to be logical....
I'm not going that far.
a practical context where 2+2=4 would not be true in a practical context is where 2+2=4 is not true in a practical context.

And this is where your definition of absolute truth falls apart. It shouldn't be "Something that is true in all contexts", but instead more along the lines of "Something that is true in all contexts which are logical".

If the only exceptions that you can find are illogical drivel, then by using them, you're not doing anything but spouting illogical drivel.

If the only cases where "2+2=4" is false are illogical then you're not saying anything more with them than "2+2 does not equal 4 when alafsdf asdflajdfa hbjdgv". They are nonsense statements, not philosophical arguments.

I didn't say any context has to be logical....
I'm not going that far.
a practical context where 2+2=4 would not be true in a practical context is where 2+2=4 is not true in a practical context.

And this is where your definition of absolute truth falls apart. It shouldn't be "Something that is true in all contexts", but instead more along the lines of "Something that is true in all contexts which are logical".
I am not so sure you are right here, matter of fact I think you are wrong given the context you are arguing: that the definition be logical.
I don't care really.
If the only exceptions that you can find are illogical drivel, then by using them, you're not doing anything but spouting illogical drivel.
I don't see how "a practical context where 2+2=4 would not be true in a practical context is where 2+2=4 is not true in a practical context" is not logical.
If the only cases where "2+2=4" is false are illogical then you're not saying anything more with them than "2+2 does not equal 4 when alafsdf asdflajdfa hbjdgv". They are nonsense statements, not philosophical arguments.
I don't see how "a practical context where 2+2=4 would not be true in a practical context is where 2+2=4 is not true in a practical context" is not logical.

But the contexts where the definition isn't logical aren't contexts. They're nothing. You are making a logical argument and you can't base it on "this is logical when I stop using logic".

That's even more baseless than if you'd said "There are no absolute truths because I say so".

But the contexts where the definition isn't logical aren't contexts. They're nothing. You are making a logical argument and you can't base it on "this is logical when I stop using logic".

That's even more baseless than if you'd said "There are no absolute truths because I say so".
enough declaration, I don't need you say your right without showing how ""a practical context where 2+2=4 would not be true in a practical context is where 2+2=4 is not true in a practical context" is not logical, not a context, and the definition of absolute truth isn't valid.
like I said I could use an illogical context and that would still be a context. not sure how you are filtering things at this point so clarify a bit, will you?

None, as per your usual lack of comprehensive abilities i.e. your blind to the forest of absolute truths via one or a few trees of relative truth. Sad :--( imho a narrow set of viewpoints keeps you blind to greater wholes of existence.

Not to feel bad, most around here have similar, or worse, ego-bubble-brain-syndrome. ;-D

r6

1 + 1 = 2

ho hum...

None, as per your usual lack of comprehensive abilities i.e. your blind to the forest of absolute truths via one or a few trees of relative truth. Sad :--( imho a narrow set of viewpoints keeps you blind to greater wholes of existence.

Not to feel bad, most around here have similar, or worse, ego-bubble-brain-syndrome. ;-D

r6

ho hum...
or not, thanks for playing "guess how wrong you can be in any context" game!

Back
Top Bottom