• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does absolute truth exist?

Absolute truths are non-contradictory and inviolate ergo eternally existent in all contexts i.e. everywhere and everywhen. imho.

The examples Ive given no human can invalidate. imho.

r6

check the thread title, I think your time has been misspent reaching a conclusion that might include the notion that absolute truth doesn't exist.
thanks for playing!

I tried to play, but really there was nothing to play with.

We have the truths of our present existence.

There is no such thing as an "absolute" truth. The word "absolute" has no meaning in that context.
wow you really have become a believer. bravo, bravo

- - - Updated - - -

Absolute truths are non-contradictory and inviolate ergo eternally existent in all contexts i.e. everywhere and everywhen. imho.

r6
then you woke up to the context where you are completely wrong.

Absolute truth is access-able to those with sincerity of heart, and some effort to expend and expand, rational, logical common sense. None address my examples as given, with rational, logical common sense, that, invalidated my comments as stated. Less energy output is easier than finding and acknowledging truth.

r6

r6

Absolute truth is access-able to those with sincerity of heart, and some effort to expend and expand, rational, logical common sense. None address my examples as given, with rational, logical common sense, that, invalidated my comments as stated. Less energy output is easier than finding and acknowledging truth.

r6

r6
then came along the context where you are proven wrong yet again.

I tried to play, but really there was nothing to play with.

We have the truths of our present existence.

There is no such thing as an "absolute" truth. The word "absolute" has no meaning in that context.
wow you really have become a believer. bravo, bravo

I am a disbeliever.

I don't believe in things that have no evidence to support them.

Things like "absolute" truth as somehow distinguishable from simply truth.

ok, you have given your opinion...

It is an opinion you can't dispute.

So you ignore it.
SURE I COULD DISPUTE IT, BUT I CHOOSE NOT TO BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING.
I GAVE A DEFINITION OF ABSOLUTE TRUTH AND THAT DEFINITION EXISTS.
I DON'T BELIEVE ABSOLUTE TRUTH EXISTS IN THE CONTEXT PROVIDED IN THE OP.
YOU DON'T BELIEVE ABSOLUTE TRUTH EXISTS BECAUSE OF YOUR REASONS.
I'M FINE WITH IT, MOVE ALONG.

It is an opinion you can't dispute.

So you ignore it.
SURE I COULD DISPUTE IT, BUT I CHOOSE NOT TO BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING.

My argument is that you are asking an irrational question in the OP.

It makes no sense to talk about truth in any other context than the context we are trapped in, our present existence.

If you agree with me it is sheer chance, not that you have a sound argument.

It makes no sense to talk about truth in any other context than the context we are trapped in, our present existence.

Sorry I became impatient.
basically you have provided a context where absolute truth doesn't exist
I am fine with that.

Absolute Truth Available to Those With Sincere Heart to Find Truth imho

Absotlute truths are inviolate, non-contradictory in all contexts i.e. everywhere and everywhen.

None offer rational, logical common sense, that, invalidate my given examples. This because they have not comments that invalidate.

Metaphyiscal-1, 5 regular polyhedra is only possible set. Thx Max Tegmark.

Metaphysical-1, tetra{4}hedron, octa{8}hedron and icosa{20}hedron are the only three regular and stable systemic structures of "U"niverse. Thx Bucky

Ratio Pi, of diameter of perfect circle to circumference circle is absolute truth in all contexts.

thx r6

Sorry I became impatient.
basically you have provided a context where absolute truth doesn't exist
I am fine with that.

I have provided an argument, or at least tried to, where the idea of "absolute" truth is meaningless.

There is nothing to say about it because it doesn't exist.

All we have are truths, like the ball falling. There is no such thing as "absolute" truths.

Speakpigeon, there is a context where there is something true and there is a context where something is false.
all contexts includes the context where there is something true and the context where something is false.
there, you got two contexts to work with.. use your imagination you might come up with more.
go back to the OP if you need to, which I think you do because you haven't really addressed it.
I can't address an issue that is not made apparent. The OP doesn't explain what a context is supposed to be. You didn't provide even one example and your explanation above doesn't make sense at all. I already addressed the fact that the term "absolute truth" just means truth. When used properly, it is merely an emphasis, a rethorical technique that doesn't add anything of substance to the notion of truth. Used improperly, it is just a misleading way to express your views. Tell me what is a context and maybe I will understand your point.
EB

Because me I don't think there's any good argument for that view.

And if you don't what to justify your views, be my guest.
EB

It is you that believe in magical truth, not me
"Truth" and "knowledge" are properties of the human mind. Not reality.
Just try to find a quote of what I said over the last few years to justify your seriously idiotic claim here.

You seem so useless with quotes of other posters and minimal justification of your critics that your claim here is just as pathetic as could be. Gratuitous claim is the word.

If only you would remember what other posters' positions are you'd know that I don't believe "in magical truth" and perhaps you wouldn't ridicule yourself so needlessly. I already said it once but let me repeat it: you are making a fool of yourself.
EB

You don't say where you got this idea of absolute knowledge but you should be aware that there are different notions of absolute knowledge. One is from Hegel for example, where absolute knowledge is "knowledge in the form of the complete self-consciousness and self-possession of spirit" and so really has nothing to do with what you seem to be referring to.

Are you claiming that Hegel would make no distinction between this and knowing one thing?
Hegel did explain what he meant by absolute truth and you didn't, at least not until I asked you. Without definition, we try to interpret compounds as such and in this case it doesn't work so we needed you to make explicit what you meant. You did it eventually but please don't try to rewrite the sequence of events.

Do you think anybody would have a problem making the distinction between absolute knowledge, however they wanted to define it, and knowing one thing?
But there is no distinction. Knowledge is absolute knowledge is knowledge. It's only if you specify the particular meaning you have in mind that we can understand what you mean. There's just no way we could guess.

And the same is obvioulsy true of the notion of absolute truth.

I agree, nobody would be unable to make a distinction between absolute knowledge and knowing one thing, not Hegel or Husserl, or Emmanuel Kant, no one besides you that is.
The problem is not imagining some distinction. Any one would do but would be irrelevant. The issue was to make the distinction relevant to what you meant and then we just cannot guess. Hegel, Kant and Husserl wrote books and these provided what they meant by absolute knowldege. You didn't until I asked.

Absolute truth is all possible truth. If all I have is one truth I never know for certain it is the whole truth. I never know for certain it is absolute. It could be part of some trick.
Ok, it's what you mean by absolute truth but you give no source.

I am the source. I am a source you can question unlike some long dead so-called authority.
How am I suppose to know you're not using the meaning of Hegel, Kant or Husserl or even some idiot.

If a there is this thing called truth then it just flows naturally that absolute truth is all possible truths.
It does not. The expression of "absolute truth" was introduced by the OP and the poster did explain somwhat what he meant. You came on his footsteps, use the same expression but not with the same meaning and you don't even feel the need to explain the meaning you use. And you think there's no problem understanding you? You're kidding, right?

What else could absolute truth mean?
Something idiotic for example. I grant you the meaning you use is not idiotic but I would still dispute the appropriatness of the expression. You should use "all truths" or "the whole truth", that would be more explicit and less confusing.

How do we separate "absolute" truth from just plain truth then?

If something is true we don't gain anything by saying it is "absolutely" true.
I agree but how am I supposed to guess your use is not meaningless and idiotic? You've already entertained us for a very long thread over the notion of infinity and that was completely idiotic and meaningless and only you couldn't see it was.
EB

Speakpigeon, there is a context where there is something true and there is a context where something is false.
all contexts includes the context where there is something true and the context where something is false.
there, you got two contexts to work with.. use your imagination you might come up with more.
go back to the OP if you need to, which I think you do because you haven't really addressed it.
I can't address an issue that is not made apparent. The OP doesn't explain what a context is supposed to be. You didn't provide even one example and your explanation above doesn't make sense at all. I already addressed the fact that the term "absolute truth" just means truth. When used properly, it is merely an emphasis, a rethorical technique that doesn't add anything of substance to the notion of truth. Used improperly, it is just a misleading way to express your views. Tell me what is a context and maybe I will understand your point.
EB
im pretty sure I defined context, I used the google definition.
if I didn't then use the google term, it might help you understand.

here, from google...
context:the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

now I know there has been some activity in this thread.
untersmech tried to say a truth he provided was true in all contexts, and that I defined as absolute truth in the OP
the problem is the truth he provided isn't true in all contexts.
then he said a absolute truth doesn't exist

here, from google...
context:the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

now I know there has been some activity in this thread.
untersmech tried to say a truth he provided was true in all contexts, and that I defined as absolute truth in the OP
the problem is the truth he provided isn't true in all contexts.
then he said a absolute truth doesn't exist

I said it was true in the only context available to us.

I didn't say it was true in all contexts because I only think one context exists.

But if it is not true in some context, that context is as available to us as heaven, and we can talk about truth there with just as must rationality as we can talk about the truths of heaven.

Back
Top Bottom