• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Unknown Soldier

Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker
Religion might have actually worked for me if my parents' congregation had not been hypocritical, transphobic, and hostile toward divergent approaches to spirituality. I had already dabbled in western Buddhist philosophy, and at the time, I believed that there was a great deal that Christians could learn from it. I did not find out until later in life that this was becoming a popular line of thinking in more liberal congregations.

Christianity has literally demonized other religions throughout its history. For example, I remember looking at some runes when my Christian housekeeper walked in, and she flipped out! She told me that if I fooled with such things, then I risked demonic attack. I told her that if that happened, then I would know Christianity is true. Needless to say, no demons ever bothered me.

She was a bigoted idiot, of course.

Nevertheless, I believe that secular philosophy works better.
Secular philosophy has the potential to have much better human consequences than religion especially regarding morality. As we move away from religion, we tend to improve morally. Even Christians are better off with secular morality.

Unknown Soldier

Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker
My mental health is helped by an occasional dose of alcohol. Some friends swear that cannabis or nicotine do the same thing. Seeing a crucifix on the other hand makes me feel like shit. I think christianity has two parts, first to make you feel like shit and secondly to make you feel better. The first part is problematic. Those other methods don't have both parts, or maybe they're just reversed.
Yes. As some people say, Christianity creates the illness, offers a "cure," and then takes credit for it.

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs
Generally, I am rooted in both ancient Epicurean and ancient Pyrrhonist sentiments, although I am somewhat sympathetic toward the intentions behind ancient Cynicism.
Religion might have actually worked for me if my parents' congregation had not been hypocritical, transphobic, and hostile toward divergent approaches to spirituality. I had already dabbled in western Buddhist philosophy, and at the time, I believed that there was a great deal that Christians could learn from it. I did not find out until later in life that this was becoming a popular line of thinking in more liberal congregations.

Christianity has literally demonized other religions throughout its history. For example, I remember looking at some runes when my Christian housekeeper walked in, and she flipped out! She told me that if I fooled with such things, then I risked demonic attack. I told her that if that happened, then I would know Christianity is true. Needless to say, no demons ever bothered me.

She was a bigoted idiot, of course.

Nevertheless, I believe that secular philosophy works better.
Secular philosophy has the potential to have much better human consequences than religion especially regarding morality. As we move away from religion, we tend to improve morally. Even Christians are better off with secular morality.
Oh, I like to mess with people like that by chanting to them in reconstructed ancient Attican Greek.

I can also quote from De Rerum Natura in the original Latin.

Top Bottom