• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does Trump Have Aphasia?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I Know What’s Wrong With Trump - Karen Shiebler - Medium
I am a retired speech/language pathologist. For more than two decades, I spent every workday diagnosing and treating language disorders. I have helped people with a wide variety of communication deficits. I was very good at my job.

That’s why, in spite of the fact that I’ve been out of the field for several years, I am completely confident when I write that Donald Trump is exhibiting a serious language disorder.
Aphasia.

Author Karen Schiebler gives examples of Trump manifesting all three of these:
  • Expressive aphasia: having difficulty finding words, substituting words, using repeated phrases, etc.
  • Receptive Aphasia: difficulty in interpreting spoken language.
  • Aversion to reading (aphasia-like)
An amusing recent example of the third one is when he attempted to read the US Constitution and stumbled through it -- and blamed his troubles on others.

I am a retired speech/language pathologist. For more than two decades, I spent every workday diagnosing and treating language disorders. I have helped people with a wide variety of communication deficits. I was very good at my job.

That’s why, in spite of the fact that I’ve been out of the field for several years, I am completely confident when I write that Donald Trump is exhibiting a serious language disorder.
Aphasia.

• Expressive aphasia: having difficulty finding words, substituting words, using repeated phrases, etc.
An amusing recent example of the third one is when he attempted to read the US Constitution and stumbled through it -- and blamed his troubles on others.

Aphasia is often a result of a stroke or other brain damage, including senile dementia.

Not sure I agree. When speaking at his rallies, he doesn't seem to have much trouble. Maybe I just haven't watched enough. He speaks to the level of the poorly educated that he loves so much but I don't see that as a disability.

Not sure I agree. When speaking at his rallies, he doesn't seem to have much trouble. Maybe I just haven't watched enough. He speaks to the level of the poorly educated that he loves so much but I don't see that as a disability.

Yeah ok, "Intermittent Selective Conditional Aphasia". ISCA
It's great to know there's a word for it!

Do drugs help? Maybe Adderall? :cool:

FWIW, I think it's mostly plain old intellectual sloth plus narcissism, compounded by a dash of senility.
The brain, like anything else, will atrophy if not used so it's not likely to get any better.

I had speech aphasia from a subdural hematoma. Fluid accumulation compressed the speech center. Had to have it drained.

I knew the words I wanted to say but they did not come out.

In a recent televised speech I first thought I was imagining it or it was the audio settings, until I heard it on another network.

He was breathing very hard and seemed to have a lot of trouble concentrating and remembering what to say. Very slow and labored like he was drunk or on meds.

He is obese and gets no exercise. I did not have one but I have been around people who had strokes of varying degrees. You can a series of mini strokes that diminishes capacity without any overt impact. He is a prime candidate for stroke and
heart attack. He often seems to have trouble climbing the stairs into Airforce 1.

If the WH reports in the media are even partly true he is given over to rage and depression. Depression leads to diminished capacity over time. My laymen observation is he is just plain mentally ill. Overwhelmed by the job and how it is going. His old habits and emotional compensations are not working. He keeps telling himself and us he is the greatest since Jesus in the face of heavy criticism. He is depressed. His recent European speech was scary. Monotone lifeless recitation of a script. Devoid of feeling and emotion.

Last edited:
I don't think he has aphasia. His false teeth seem to be lose sometimes and he does have some symptoms of mild cognitive impairment, which is often, but not always a precursor to full blown dementia. Or maybe, he's just stupid, when it comes to basic English. He can't spell. He can barely read and he frequently mispronounces words. He's an outstanding manipulator of other humans. That's for sure.

I don't think he has aphasia. His false teeth seem to be lose sometimes and he does have some symptoms of mild cognitive impairment, which is often, but not always a precursor to full blown dementia. Or maybe, he's just stupid, when it comes to basic English. He can't spell. He can barely read and he frequently mispronounces words. He's an outstanding manipulator of other humans. That's for sure.

I sometimes wonder if he's conscious.

Aphasia.

These "symptoms" are also those of every single fledgling politician ever...

1) Repeating phrases - the hallmark of "staying on message" - failure to repeat your message and create easy to remember and chant phrases is a failure in being a politician.
2) interpreting - ever notice how a journalist asks a question to a politician, and the politician just starts talking about whatever he wants? Do we call that Receptive Aphasia? No, see 1 above.
3) reading - that's just being American. Books are dumb, did they make a movie with explosions? I'll look at it then.

Back
Top Bottom