• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dog behavior breeding question: Diet

Sarpedon

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
the Philosophy of Not Giving a Damn
My boss remarked that her dog wouldn't touch lamb. It is a German Shepherd. While I could see that it would be beneficial to breed a sheep dog to not like the taste of sheep, is this possible? Has it actually been done?

The bio-chemical processes required to allow a canine to distinguish one kind of meat from another, especially if it came out of a can, cooked and preserved, would be very complicated. I would want to see this lamb aversion demonstrated in other dogs before pursuing the idea.

I can believe that her dog doesn't like lamb. I personally don't like mutton or eel though I like goat and fish.

I guess the question is if there is a genetic reason or not. If so then I suppose you can develop a breed of dog to not like lamb. However, I have never heard of it being done.

The bio-chemical processes required to allow a canine to distinguish one kind of meat from another, especially if it came out of a can, cooked and preserved, would be very complicated.
I'd certainly agree. But then, just so, would the biochemical processes required to allow a canine to distinguish between visual objects be complicated, and I don't think you would doubt that canines can distinguish between similar visual objects.

I would want to see this lamb aversion demonstrated in other dogs before pursuing the idea.

Are you skeptical in earnest of the ability of animals to distinguish between different chemical substances using their chemical senses? It's pretty much a demonstrated fact that animals have highly discriminatory chemical senses, particularly olfactory perception. Particularly in dogs. I'm not sure anyone has ever tested the ability for a dog to distinguish between different cooked meats by scent and taste, but I'd be just as willing to suppose that they could the same as if we were discussing the dog's ability to see and differentiate objects with their eyes.

It would have to be a breeding, not a training question, as this dog has never seen a sheep, to my knowledge.

I'd certainly agree. But then, just so, would the biochemical processes required to allow a canine to distinguish between visual objects be complicated, and I don't think you would doubt that canines can distinguish between similar visual objects.

I would want to see this lamb aversion demonstrated in other dogs before pursuing the idea.

Are you skeptical in earnest of the ability of animals to distinguish between different chemical substances using their chemical senses? It's pretty much a demonstrated fact that animals have highly discriminatory chemical senses, particularly olfactory perception. Particularly in dogs. I'm not sure anyone has ever tested the ability for a dog to distinguish between different cooked meats by scent and taste, but I'd be just as willing to suppose that they could the same as if we were discussing the dog's ability to see and differentiate objects with their eyes.
Since smell and taste are very closely associated and related senses I would think dogs likely have a much keener sense of taste than humans. They certainly have a keener and more discriminating sense of smell.

This particular dog may just have a dislike to the taste of lamb for reasons other than genetics or it may be genetic. If it is genetic then it should be no problem creating a breed of dogs that would avoid eating lamb.

Dogs have been shown to have an incredible sense of smell and a very good memory for recording it, but that is not the issue here. It can't be a matter of smell memory, since the dog has never been near a sheep, except for the canned variety.

If this is an inborn instinctual trait, it should be widespread in shepherd varieties. This is a German Shepherd. There are many other shepherd breeds, so if it is common, one would suspect it would have been observed many times before, especially on sheep ranches.

Dogs have been shown to have an incredible sense of smell and a very good memory for recording it, but that is not the issue here. It can't be a matter of smell memory, since the dog has never been near a sheep, except for the canned variety.

If this is an inborn instinctual trait, it should be widespread in shepherd varieties. This is a German Shepherd. There are many other shepherd breeds, so if it is common, one would suspect it would have been observed many times before, especially on sheep ranches.
I don't understand. The dog has been exposed to canned lamb. The dog shows an aversion to the lamb. What is so incredible or unbelievable about these circumstances? Why couldn't the dog have learned to dislike the taste/smell of the canned lamb?

For the record, I doubt there is any inherited aversion to lamb in any breed of dog, but my whole issue was whether or not a dog could discriminate lamb meat from chicken or beef or pork or what have you.

- - - Updated - - -

Since smell and taste are very closely associated and related senses I would think dogs likely have a much keener sense of taste than humans. They certainly have a keener and more discriminating sense of smell.

This particular dog may just have a dislike to the taste of lamb for reasons other than genetics or it may be genetic. If it is genetic then it should be no problem creating a breed of dogs that would avoid eating lamb.
Olfaction and gustation are two separate sensory modalities that are anatomically distinct. When you eat something, however, the flavor precept you experience is a bimodal sensory precept. Actually, if I recall correctly, it is multimodal because of the somatosensoy component of eating food might affect the flavor your perceive.

- - - Updated - - -

It would have to be a breeding, not a training question, as this dog has never seen a sheep, to my knowledge.

How so? Walk me through your thought process on this one. Why couldn't the dog have learned to dislike the smell/taste of lamb? And even if the dog didn't learn it, it doesn't mean that the aversion "is genetic."

I don't understand. The dog has been exposed to canned lamb. The dog shows an aversion to the lamb. What is so incredible or unbelievable about these circumstances? Why couldn't the dog have learned to dislike the taste/smell of the canned lamb?

For the record, I doubt there is any inherited aversion to lamb in any breed of dog, but my whole issue was whether or not a dog could discriminate lamb meat from chicken or beef or pork or what have you.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure any dog may have a dislike for any flavor. The same is true of humans. What I don't believe is the shepherd family of dogs was selectively bred to dislike the flavor of sheep and this inbred trait remains true.

:pSome dogs like whatever you put in front of them and some are more particular. I had a greyhound and was told they like vegetables. Well my guy liked all vegetables except string beans. which he removed from his bowl and laid on the floor. Loved stewed tomatoes, loved squash, just hated them green beans. Couldn't tell you why. I guess dogs are people too....:tongue::tongue:

My boss remarked that her dog wouldn't touch lamb. It is a German Shepherd. While I could see that it would be beneficial to breed a sheep dog to not like the taste of sheep, is this possible? Has it actually been done?

When your boss speaks of lamb, does she mean raw or cooked, lamb or mutton, people food or canned dog food which would contain a number of other ingredients besides lamb?

I raised sled dogs for approx. 25 years and there is not much that those endurance athletes would refuse. They worked hard and they had healthy appetites. Today's pampered pets, on the other hand, have been raised on a very contrived and unnatural diet for a species that derives from wild canines. Their likes and dislikes may well be attributable to having their preferences catered to for life. If the dog does not immediately bolt down an offering, it may have as much to do with just not being hungry at the time.

Withhold food for 24 hours while allowing free choice water and exercise and then offer a sample for a more accurate assessment. Take into account that dogs, like people, may find new foods an acquired taste. Dogs unused to raw meat may not recognize it as proper fare even as dogs used to it may be put off by cooked or processed meat.

Back
Top Bottom