• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Domestic terrorist paroled

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Left-wing domestic terrorist David Gilbert got paroled. A very idiotic decision by the NY parole board. It was, however, only made possible by Andrew Cuomo commuting his sentence because originally he would not have been eligible for parole until 2050s or so.

’70s radical David Gilbert granted parole in Brink’s robbery

He and his WU and BLA comrades are responsible for murders of two police officers and a security guard. They committed the Brinks robbery in order to finance their insurrectionist activities.

Several others of the terrorists, including Gilbert's baby mama (baby in question being the disastrous DA of San Francisco), have already been released. Of course, given the seriousness of what they did and their ongoing terrorist activities (both WU and BLA had been engaging in terrorism for years in the 70s and 80s), does anybody really think they would have been paroled if they were not left-wing?

Last edited:
According to the linked report, the other members of the robbery are out of prison and this man served over 40 years. He is 76 years old. If he is no longer a danger to society, and if he was a model prisoner, then I think it is a humane decision.

Well, white nationalists aren't typically considered 'left-wing', and Michael Thompson was released in 2019...

The former white supremacist, Michael Lynn Thompson, 67, was handed his release after describing to the parole board commissioners how he did not fight back during a 2015 attempt on his life, in keeping with his, “vow of nonviolence.” California Governor Gavin Newsom had the ability to reverse the decision, but chose to take no action, and Thompson went free.

I'm sure he will continue his terrorism by driving ten miles under the speed limit in the left lane.

Wasn't there a previous thread where a conservative (I assume) police officer sexually assaulted prostitutes a thousand times and Derec said the jail sentence was too harsh? For comparison, the criminal in the op article was an unarmed accomplice to a botched robbery who during the course of 40 years in prison did ample tutoring and legal aid to prisoners. Why is it rationally justifiable to feel emotional sympathy in the former case but to scream obscenities and corruption about the latter?

An additional hole in the op post seems to be that it makes it seem that Cuomo is responsible for the mess of releasing this 76 year old, but really if the guy hasn't shown remorse and rehabilitation over his 40 years in prison, wouldn't the parole board have denied the release? Parole board members of today are not going to be marching in lockstep with disgraced Andrew Cuomo and more likely would want to distance themselves from him politically. They had a question before them to analyze about whether the now 76 year old Gilbert was a danger to society, was remorseful, was a changed person, and was rehabilitated. Their answer to the analysis was that he was safe to release.

40 or so years in prison isn't a short period of time. Roughly speaking, that is about my entire lifetime. Rapists and killers can do much less.

Meh.
There’s a guy who killed tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans in less than one year. Never even had to show up in court and is still walking around free.

40 or so years in prison isn't a short period of time. Roughly speaking, that is about my entire lifetime. Rapists and killers can do much less.

It's especially ironic as the OP's coming from a guy insisting we all need to move on from the terrorist tourist kerfuffle that occurred in DC earlier this year...

But four decades ago? Never forget!

According to the linked report, the other members of the robbery are out of prison and this man served over 40 years. He is 76 years old. If he is no longer a danger to society, and if he was a model prisoner, then I think it is a humane decision.
Yeah, pretty much my opinion on the matter. Guy definitely deserved prison, but 40 years later parole seems more than reasonable.

It's especially ironic as the OP's coming from a guy insisting we all need to move on from the terrorist tourist kerfuffle that occurred in DC earlier this year...

But four decades ago? Never forget!
Eh, not really a good analogy. This would only make sense if there had been an actual murder and conviction of one of those people and Derec were arguing that we should parole that person but not the WU guy.

Through Cuomo’s action, he will be referred to the state parole board for potential release. Under his sentence, he wouldn’t have been eligible for parole until 2056. In a news release, Cuomo’s office said that while locked up, Gilbert has made significant contributions to AIDS education and prevention programs, and worked as a tutor, law library clerk, paralegal assistant, teacher’s aide and aide in various prison programs.

\
Sounds like the man was rehabilitated. That's rare but something we should be applauding. Plus, this is old news. It happened in August. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom