• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Doris Day, A Tribute Thread

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
I regret to announce that Doris Day has passed, following a bout with pneumonia at the respectably mature age of 97. An interesting fact about her age is that for most of her life, she believed herself to be two years younger than she actually was, until her birth certificate was "revealed" by an AP article. Surprising even her... or at least, so she claimed at the time.

Doris had two careers, first as a singer and then as a film actress. People either remember for her role in the relatively serious thriller "The Man Who Knew Too Much", or for the numerous silly little romantic musicals she starred in later in her career. She was only ever Oscar-nominated for one film, 1959's Pillow Talk, but was one of the most billable actresses in Hollywood through much of the early 1960's and was a top box-office earner four times between 1955-1965. Her ability to play both a sex goddess and an innocent "girl next door" type at the same time was uncanny, and at a time when women her age often found it difficult to get cast in lead roles at all.

Personally, I love her more for her music in the long run, and many of her standards are also my favorites to sing in the shower. My two favorite Doris tracks:

[YOUTUBE]PUw125JMVFI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fU8tQpCZEzg[/YOUTUBE]

The horse scene was shot in one take! She makes singing while riding side-saddle look easier than it is. She was also the only person ever to ride that horse except its owner, Joel McCrea, who was a fan and couldn't say no.

A tribute from the New Yorker.

I don't remember what movie I saw her in when I was 8 or 9, but I developed a short term crush.

The New Yorker mentions that her private life was a mess, but other than claiming that she was bankrupted by her third (of four) husbands, doesn't elaborate.

Back
Top Bottom