• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dr. Seuss Sales Skyrocket

At 2:24 of the Space Jam 2 trailer there are movie characters that committed rape in a very famous 50 year old film. Kind of odd considering Pepe Le Pew

All things being equal, isn't this whole debacle actually proof solid that rightwing hysteria about a supposed "Cancel Culture" is made entirely of hot air? I mean, Seuss was totally racist, and he made blatantly racist illustrations and books, a fact which he himself admitted and regretted before he passed.

So why isn't he canceled? If there is a massive leftwing conspiracy to silence and oppress anyone who dares to tell so much as an off-color joke, with no care for context and no possibility of apology... why isn't Seuss altogether "canceled" at this point? Why aren't liberals boycotting every single one of his books?

All things being equal, isn't this whole debacle actually proof solid that rightwing hysteria about a supposed "Cancel Culture" is made entirely of hot air? I mean, Seuss was totally racist, and he made blatantly racist illustrations and books, a fact which he himself admitted and regretted before he passed.

So why isn't he canceled? If there is a massive leftwing conspiracy to silence and oppress anyone who dares to tell so much as an off-color joke, with no care for context and no possibility of apology... why isn't Seuss altogether "canceled" at this point? Why aren't liberals boycotting every single one of his books?

Because the racist imagery was found in some of the most obscure, unpopular titles in his catalog. Most people likely had never even seen the images.

Now if his most famous book was "One Fish, Two Fish, Black Fish, Jew Fish" then maybe he would have been canceled already.

Because the racist imagery was found in some of the most obscure, unpopular titles in his catalog. Most people likely had never even seen the images.

Now if his most famous book was "One Fish, Two Fish, Black Fish, Jew Fish" then maybe he would have been canceled already.

Likely. But it would have happened long before "cancellation" entered the lexicon. People have always voted with their pocketbooks to some extent.

ALBANY, GA - Local conservative feels like they've been conned after reading The Lorax and other books to their child after their spur of the moment purchases of Dr. Seuss books. "I thought I was supporting free speech," noted Brad Northingon. "The left-wing was cancelling Dr. Seuss, and I was supporting Dr. Seuss."

However, after reading a few of the books to their child, a 4 year old named Debbie, it became less clear that he got the results he wanted.

"The Lorax is a communist book about saving the environment, Green Eggs and Ham is a leftist screed about being more comfortable with things that aren't status quo."

Brad Northingon has attempted to return the books to Amazon, however, the return period had already lapsed. He is considering a lawsuit against the publishers of the books for what he calls "bait and switch" advertising tricks.

ALBANY, GA - Local conservative feels like they've been conned after reading The Lorax and other books to their child after their spur of the moment purchases of Dr. Seuss books. "I thought I was supporting free speech," noted Brad Northingon. "The left-wing was cancelling Dr. Seuss, and I was supporting Dr. Seuss."

However, after reading a few of the books to their child, a 4 year old named Debbie, it became less clear that he got the results he wanted.

"The Lorax is a communist book about saving the environment, Green Eggs and Ham is a leftist screed about being more comfortable with things that aren't status quo."

Brad Northingon has attempted to return the books to Amazon, however, the return period had already lapsed. He is considering a lawsuit against the publishers of the books for what he calls "bait and switch" advertising tricks.

Wait til he reads the sneetches!

He should look up the classics like “Horton hears a Jew” and “Hop on Wop”. Those would be more to his liking.

Need more shows like this

At four minutes in: "which of my yellow sidekicks do you most fancy?"

Also a total farce compared the real show

Virtually all of the studio era Hollywood films (teens through the 50s) are un-PC. Try to find a non-Caucasian role in an old film that isn't demeaning. Yes, there are some, but they are heavily outweighed by the opposite. Film buffs like me know this, but we sure don't want the films suppressed. Since it takes a film buff to want to see most films from the first half century of features, we're safe. The Seuss controversy involves books for the young-uns so, fuck it, can't argue with the "It's for the children!" trope.

Virtually all of the studio era Hollywood films (teens through the 50s) are un-PC. Try to find a non-Caucasian role in an old film that isn't demeaning. Yes, there are some, but they are heavily outweighed by the opposite.
Indeed. Prior to Sidney Poitier, it was hard to find a non-stereotyped roles for minorities. In This Our Lives has a black teen that wants to be a lawyer while his mother Hattie McDaniel gets a chance to act as a mother instead of a maid and The Petrified Forest has a black gangster that is his own man playing the heel to a "Yes sir" but competent butler. Now, McDaniel was good, played lots of differing maid roles from sassy and in-charge (Gone with the Wind) to quite bumbling (Alice Adams) to air-headed (The Male Animal, I think). I'd say, generally in old cinema, the issues were stereotyping as much as it was almost entirely ignoring the existence of other nationalities.

Film buffs like me know this, but we sure don't want the films suppressed. Since it takes a film buff to want to see most films from the first half century of features, we're safe. The Seuss controversy involves books for the young-uns so, fuck it, can't argue with the "It's for the children!" trope.
Highly negative depictions of race or identity in a children's book is hard to explain away. These simple books are going to be some of the first exposures to such concepts. This isn't like watching a movie with a black faced Fred Astaire, where you cringe and just remark to your older kid (if you've managed to convince them to even watch the movie), that this stuff was incredibly poorly thought up and wrong.

And most of the books in question are not even common or widely read. Granted, this could also provide one with the idea that this is being covered up to protect his legacy too. But in reality, shouldn't we just stop putting people on pedestals?

Back
Top Bottom