• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Early human slavery was NECESSARY for human progress

Looks like Syed put out some bait and a lot of you went for it. The OP of this thread is so asinine.

What's next? "Murder proves God exists?"

definition of primitive is they lives in cave, huts not in city

Are you saying that it took nothing more than slavery to lift us out of our primitive condition of living in caves and into building cites? That slavery is the only means of advancement for primitive (cave dwelling) people?

Are you saying that it took nothing more than slavery to lift us out of our primitive condition of living in caves and into building cites? That slavery is the only means of advancement for primitive (cave dwelling) people?

thats exactly i am saying, early human did not invented money nor anyone work for other people, so the only way to build city was slavery, today we build city by pay workers, back then no money no pay worker

thats exactly i am saying, early human did not invented money nor anyone work for other people, so the only way to build city was slavery, today we build city by pay workers, back then no money no pay worker

What are you basing this on? There is no archaeological evidence for this. We have plenty of evidence in the records of people freely organising themselves in order to create massive works. Building the Egyptian Pyramids is one such example. Mostly just to have something to do when the Nile was flooded. In every case slavery was used for anything, the use of free labour would have been preferable. People can work towards massive projects with little or no financial reimbursement. The building of Moslem mosques is a good example. They are rarely built by paid labourers. It's typically volunteers who build them. Jihad. Mosques can be huge.

We have plenty of records and accounts from the ancient world on how slavery was primarily used. This was not one of them. Slavery has existed because it can exist. But it has never served any beneficial purpose for anyone... including the slavers.

Your argument seems to be based on you wanting it to be true, so therefore it is.

It looks to me like Syed's making a basic error here; he appears to be assuming that ancient cities were "built", i.e., that they were planned from the outset and built according to that plan, with thousands of workers required to get the whole city up at once. This is, of course, just plain wrong. Ancient cities, with very few exceptions (Amarna is the only one that springs readily to mind) weren't built as such; they grew up organically from villages over decades and even centuries. No slaves were required in this process; houses were built by their future occupants, and great public works were mostly built by volunteer labour, as with the Xian cathedrals of the Middle Ages, or mosques.

And in some cases (many? most?), slavery actually hindered progress. Thus, for example, the Romans, who were familiar with the idea of the watermill, never bothered with this labour-saving device because they had slaves to do that work for them, and in a slave-based economy, it was easier to continue using them than to adopt labour-saving technology and have to find new uses for all the slaves who would have had nothing to do. We know that one technology can lead to another, so who knows what progress the Romans might have made had they not been dependent on their slaves to do the hard work?

"Murder proves God exists?"
Hardly a difficult effort for Syed. Just adapt his 'tomorrow proves atheist believers' argument.

Why atheists think murder a bad thing?
If no god, no eternal life, your life worthless, why care if you die so that druggie can spend you money on drugs?
If atheists really think no god exist, they would not look both ways to crossing street and give a rats someone stab their wife or daughter with knife.

Any atheist witness a murder and shout 'no! stop!' is evidence blatant deception on atheist part. He want life, he want others life, and God is only source of life.

ipso exacto he want God.

so who knows what progress the Romans might have made had they not been dependent on their slaves to do the hard work?
I think you should say 'who knows what technology the Romans might have made...'

A slave society can still make progress. We've made it to the moon, but they were light-years ahead of us in slave-enhanced orgies. Let's see an exotic, imported, specially trained waterwheel make your special guest extra-comfortable!

so who knows what progress the Romans might have made had they not been dependent on their slaves to do the hard work?
I think you should say 'who knows what technology the Romans might have made...'

A slave society can still make progress. We've made it to the moon, but they were light-years ahead of us in slave-enhanced orgies. Let's see an exotic, imported, specially trained waterwheel make your special guest extra-comfortable!

I thought it would be clear from the context, but of course what I meant was " ...who knows what technological progress the Romans might have made..." A slave society can make some kinds of progress, but would be unlikely to put much work in on technologies designrd to replace slave labour.

tell us how would roman, egypt and greek would have built their civilization without slavery?

You keep missing the point. You are arguing that your God wanted ancient civilisations to exist, so he had to let people keep slaves. But that doesn't make any sense alongside the assertion you have made elsewhere that your God is all-powerful and can do anything. If your God is supposed to be powerful and smart enough to create the universe, he's certainly powerful and smart enough to come up with a way to make civilisation develop without slavery.

The basic point is simple: if an all-powerful God exists, then whatever he wants, he gets. That's what all-powerful means. So whatever we observe to be actually the case -- like thousands of years of slavery -- must have been exactly what God wanted.

god created heaven there is no slavery but earth is for human to learn and to be civilized

What did the slaves learn?
That it's good to be The King?
did american's black slaves became president?
Technically, muslims were never slaves in America, and they have accomplished much less than African Americans have.

What are you basing this on? There is no archaeological evidence for this. We have plenty of evidence in the records of people freely organising themselves in order to create massive works. Building the Egyptian Pyramids is one such example. Mostly just to have something to do when the Nile was flooded. In every case slavery was used for anything, the use of free labour would have been preferable. People can work towards massive projects with little or no financial reimbursement. The building of Moslem mosques is a good example. They are rarely built by paid labourers. It's typically volunteers who build them. Jihad. Mosques can be huge.

We have plenty of records and accounts from the ancient world on how slavery was primarily used. This was not one of them. Slavery has existed because it can exist. But it has never served any beneficial purpose for anyone... including the slavers.

Your argument seems to be based on you wanting it to be true, so therefore it is.

tell me WHEN and HOW did slavery started? i like to hear your theory

- - - Updated - - -

tell us how would roman, egypt and greek would have built their civilization without slavery?

You keep missing the point. You are arguing that your God wanted ancient civilisations to exist, so he had to let people keep slaves. But that doesn't make any sense alongside the assertion you have made elsewhere that your God is all-powerful and can do anything. If your God is supposed to be powerful and smart enough to create the universe, he's certainly powerful and smart enough to come up with a way to make civilisation develop without slavery.

The basic point is simple: if an all-powerful God exists, then whatever he wants, he gets. That's what all-powerful means. So whatever we observe to be actually the case -- like thousands of years of slavery -- must have been exactly what God wanted.

god created heaven there is no slavery but earth is for human to learn and to be civilized

What did the slaves learn?
That it's good to be The King?
did american's black slaves became president?
Technically, muslims were never slaves in America, and they have accomplished much less than African Americans have.
what the hell are you talking about?

muslims ruled the world for 1000 years even european only 2-3 hundred years ruled

beside question is did american's black slaves became president?

It looks to me like Syed's making a basic error here; he appears to be assuming that ancient cities were "built", i.e., that they were planned from the outset and built according to that plan, with thousands of workers required to get the whole city up at once.
i am only saying is that EARLY slavery started when money was not invented and one one work for other people

Your omnipotent God can't build cities, then?

- - - Updated - - -

muslims ruled the world for 1000 years

That's going to come as a hell of a shock to the Chinese. Not to mention the Australian Aborigines and the Native Americans.

It looks to me like Syed's making a basic error here; he appears to be assuming that ancient cities were "built", i.e., that they were planned from the outset and built according to that plan, with thousands of workers required to get the whole city up at once.
i am only saying is that EARLY slavery started when money was not invented and one one work for other people

How do you know this? How do you know about any of the claims you have made in this thread? Pretty much every claim you have made has been refuted at this point. Stop ignoring what others are saying and show us a source for your assertions. We know you can understand English, so stop making up shit and start behaving like an adult.

yeah. maybe slavery existed but I don't think it can be said it was necessary; that would require proof, evidence...

In some places it was, in some places it wasn't. In Egypt, the Pyramids were built long before the invention of coinage, and without the use of slaves. In Mesopotamia, there was no real mass enslavement until the Assyrians came along, by which time the Sumerians had had a thriving civilisation for more than a millenium, without either coinage (money) or a slave economy.Their cities and their ziggurats would have been built by voluntary contributions of material and labour, like the cathedrals, like the mosques, like the temples. Slavery wasn't necessary for early human progress.

In some places it was, in some places it wasn't. In Egypt, the Pyramids were built long before the invention of coinage, and without the use of slaves. .

pyramid build without money and without slaves?

How do you know this? How do you know about any of the claims you have made in this thread? Pretty much every claim you have made has been refuted at this point. Stop ignoring what others are saying and show us a source for your assertions. We know you can understand English, so stop making up shit and start behaving like an adult.

lol
man take a vacation

- - - Updated - - -

That's going to come as a hell of a shock to the Chinese. Not to mention the Australian Aborigines and the Native Americans.

i should have said known world
lol

- - - Updated - - -

lol
well, now you know about the Chinese, the Australian Aborigines, and the Native Americans.
so man up with your argument already.

- - - Updated - - -

syed said:
which begs the question "is slavery progress?"
human made progress because of slavery
back to your main idea that slavery was necessary, slavery could have been theorized it didn't have to be implemented; slavery isn't necessary for progress.

thats a good idea , just theorized economic that will create millions of jobs
it is a matter of conscience to pick any particular economic principle and implement it, you don't have to implement every principle.
just because you think of slavery doesn't mean it's implementation is necessary for "human progress"... whatever "human progress" means.
maybe a definition is in order for "human progress"..
take for instance the invention of the wheel, was slavery necessary for the invention of the wheel?
and you didn't answer this either...

lol
LOL, you'd still be wrong. The Chinese knew they existed, as did the Aborigines, Cherokee, Aztecs, Olmecs. You know, all the people of the world?

Back
Top Bottom