• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Early human slavery was NECESSARY for human progress

if american did benefited from slave then why egyptian and roman didnt have slaves according atheists?

First of all, nobody said the romans didn't have slaves; they said that Roman civilization and its cities would have existed with or *without* slaves.

Secondly, you can not compare the use of slaves in the new world to the use of slaves in the old world; the two are very different scenarios. The reason slave labor was widely used in the Americas is because the colonial powers lacked the ability to import large numbers of its own population to work on the plantations. The European population of the new world was low; and they couldn't increase it fast enough to draw the profits they wanted. Western Africans were only too eager to sell slaves for a price the Europeans considered cheap.

European merchants and companies would sail for Western Africa with cheap cargo, which would be exchanged for slaves. They'd then sail to the colonies in the new world to sell the slaves at a massive profit. They would then load up on the valuable goods produced in the colonies such as sugar, and sold them at an even bigger profit back in Europe; at which point the whole thing would start again. This is the famous Atlantic Triangular Trade. The profitability of this route had a snowball effect on the number of slaves shipped west, which would eventually lead to a dependence on slavery when the European population of the New World became large enough to sustain the profits without the use of slavery: why use a European laborer who'll ask a wage when you can just keep breeding the slaves you've kept for generations?

So, did the Americans benefit from slavery? Well, not as much as the Colonial powers did, to be sure. But it doesn't matter whether they did or not, since the unique circumstances of the time make it impossible to compare it to the slavery of the ancient world.

LOL, you'd still be wrong. The Chinese knew they existed, as did the Aborigines, Cherokee, Aztecs, Olmecs. You know, all the people of the world?

muslims did ruled some part of china
So..were they unaware of the world beyond their borders, Syed? To conquer the KNOWN world without conquering the WHOLE world would require a certain amount of ignorance, right?
or maybe they were just stupid?

Do not want to call Shed juvenile,but his logic is very simple and childish.Seems to be part and parcel with Islam.

Do not want to call Shed juvenile,but his logic is very simple and childish.Seems to be part and parcel with Islam.

Juvenile is an understatement. I know 8 year old children who can formulate their arguments much better than Syed can. I don't think it has much to do with Islam (although Islam does it's share of mindfucking amongst the ignorant and weak minded of the world), more with the fact that he has received virtually no formal schooling, has lived most of his life in Pakistan or India and has no interest in learning anything new in his old age (by his own words).

It looks to me like Syed's making a basic error here; he appears to be assuming that ancient cities were "built", i.e., that they were planned from the outset and built according to that plan, with thousands of workers required to get the whole city up at once.
i am only saying is that EARLY slavery started when money was not invented and one one work for other people
In some places it was, in some places it wasn't. In Egypt, the Pyramids were built long before the invention of coinage, and without the use of slaves. .

pyramid build without money and without slaves?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid_construction_techniques

It was a tax system. The free farmers had to work a part of the year on great works as tax. If you want to be cynical about it, the Egyptian tradition of building huge buildings was about keeping the population busy during the time of year that the Nile is flooded. Ie, they couldn't work their field. All they could do was wait for the Nile to recede. Just like every ruler, the Egyptian rulers, quickly learned that idle workers became restless and dangerous and started demanding reforms. So it was imperative to keep them occupied. Therefore Pyramids.

It's a similar logic behind the European building of churches, castles and cathedrals. Same goes for all the great works of the Roman Empire. They were primarily built by the Roman army in peace time, to keep them from raping the locals. I don't know of other similar systems in detail, but I would be surprised if this wasn't a global pattern of all great works. Bottom line, this is not the type of thing slaves historically have been used for.

white american enslave black for tax?

I'm not saying Egyptians and Romans didn't have slavery. But the slavery didn't help produce anything of value to these cultures. Certainly nothing they became known and famous for.

The American slavery does serve as a valuable example. The South stayed economically and socially backward. The North was more advanced, both economically and socially. In the civil war it had an industrial capacity the South was not even close to. In spite of having all that free labour available. If your theory would hold the South would have been more effective in their civil war. That war was very much a competition of economic systems, ie which system had the best economic output.

so tell me why did roman have slaves labors ?
why don't you tell us, make your case.
you tell us, you are the one who brought slavery up and then say it is necessary, don't you have enough facts to back your story up?

First of all, nobody said the romans didn't have slaves;

They had it because they could. Not because it was in any way economically beneficial. They had it for the same reason we eat cake or do drugs. Same reason husbands beat their wives. It gives the slave owner a little boost of their ego. A power trip high.

The Romans who actually owned the slaves were not concerned with the benefits or lack of benefits to their civilization at large, just to themselves. As has been explained, the only benefit to slavery is extremely cheap manual labour at simple jobs. This does not offer tremendous benefits to a slave owning society as a whole, but it's very beneficial to individuals and small groups that actually own the slaves. Essentially, all the wealth earned by a slave owner AND his slaves goes to the slave owner, but there's not really a total benefit on a large scale, only local inequality of wealth. Not to mention a tremendous amount of human misery.

if american did benefited from slave then why egyptian and roman didnt have slaves according atheists?

First of all, nobody said the romans didn't have slaves;

It was either that or the wholesale slaughter of the populations they conquered.

Kill all the prisoners of war or enslave them? Sounds insane, but in the circumstances, enslavement was the more humane option.

My WIFE is from a part of Eastern Europe which was under Ottoman rule for ~500 years.

She says people in her home country FEEL that living under Ottoman/Muslim rule was "like Hitler/Stalin or WORSE".

The country eventually rebelled, recently (in the past few hundred years) and are now orthodox christian after throwing the ottomans out.

Hearing a Muslim say that RACISM and SLAVERY is a GOOD thing is F#CKED UP.

Back
Top Bottom