• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Easter Thread? Easter Thread

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Today is the anniversary on which God's Son rose from the dead after being crucified three days before. Details are sketchy.

Mary Magdelene and a few other women went to rub oils and spices on Jesus' corpse at his tomb and discovered he wasn't there. But there were two dudes just kind of hanging out--apparently these were angels. They told the women that "Jesus had um... risen. Yeah, that's it. He's all alive and shit again."

So all the women except Mary went back to tell the disciples. Judas was conspicuously absent. So all the disciples flocked as one to see the risen Jesus. Just kidding, only Peter and one other guy came to check it out. I mean broads, you know? But the men were all, "Just you two go so they'll stop cackling about it."

In the meantime, Mary Magdelene was still at the tomb. Then Mary saw a guy she thought was a gardener [insert Mexican gardener named Jesus joke here], and in a fit of common sense, she asked this guy what he'd done with Jesus body. Unfortunately, this line of questioning ended at that and grave robbery has since been utterly discarded in favor of an ascent to Heaven or, if you're sci-fi minded, a UFO gave Jesus a lift to his Dad's Place.

Anyway, after a while she recognized that the gardener was The Lord and Savior of all Humanity, which is understandable. I often see my gardeners and mistake them for gods, so it's easy to see how someone could make the opposite mistake.

Then some stuff happens and Jesus appears to a couple more disciples on a road, and they don't recognize him either. This plot device would be emulated in many 20th century sitcoms and movies where a "Rich Uncle" appears out of nowhere to the cast members, telling them a fantastic story. But the Rich Uncle is actually a penniless conman out to take their money. I see no parallels at all in Christianity to this and neither should you!

Back to the story. So the two disciples and Jesus eat, and only then do they recognize him. Why? Because.

Then over the course of the next week Jesus appears on and off to the disciples. Apparently by now he'd fixed himself up a little because the recognition issue doesn't resurface. He hangs out for 40 days and appears to 500 more people. Again, details are sketchy. Take for example, the mini-zombie invasion that occurred around this time. It seems like a helluva thing to say that dead people crawled out of their graves and sauntered into the city to pop in on their relatives and then just leave it that, but hey, whatevs.

Eventually Jesus takes his followers out into the middle of a field, mumbles something about getting to work to spread The Word and that he'll always be around, and then he goes into the sky. Some say his final words to his followers were "Lates bros!"

The End.

The fact that you atheists made a thread about this proves that you recognize His divinity!

The fact that you atheists made a thread about this proves that you recognize His divinity!

LOL, I've heard actual arguments like that.

Me too. If you say the word "god" then you automatically believe he exists. I wonder if I go say "Jesus" while looking at the bathroom mirror with the lights off if he'll suddenly appear to me.
Hmm... Maybe I'll try Jayne Mansfield first. That'd be way better.

Or to paraphrase Bart Ehrman:

After the crucifixion, the next morning two women went to the grave, no three women, no just Mary Magdalene. Their names vary, but at least one, maybe two are named Mary. There they saw nothing, wait, they saw a man, no 2 angels, no 2 men who might have been angels..

This doesn't sound like a fake story at all...

Or to paraphrase Bart Ehrman:

After the crucifixion, the next morning two women went to the grave, no three women, no just Mary Magdalene. Their names vary, but at least one, maybe two are named Mary. There they saw nothing, wait, they saw a man, no 2 angels, no 2 men who might have been angels..

This doesn't sound like a fake story at all...
I like the fact that it's called Easter, meaning the quintessentially important religious holiday is named after the goddess of a rival religion. Awesome. I want to say that you just can't make this shit up but someone actually did.

Consider though, 'resurrection' baskets, 'resurrection' eggs and the 'resurrection' bunny. Just doesn't have the same ring.

I like passing this bit of information along whenever the opportunity arises.

When I went out to get the mail, I noticed the resurrection of the vegetation. It is coming along nicely here.

Rant by comedian Bill Hicks:

I was over in Australia during Easter which was interesting. Interesting to know they celebrate Easter the way we do. Commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit...left chocolate eggs in the night.

I wonder why we're fucked up as a race? Anybody got any clues out there? Where do you get this crap from, y'know? Why those two things? Why not "goldfish left Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer"? As long as we're makin' shit up, go hog wild, y'know? At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

"Mummy! I woke up today and there was a Lincoln Log in me sock drawer!"
"Well son, that's the story of Jesus!"

Rant by comedian Bill Hicks:

I was over in Australia during Easter which was interesting. Interesting to know they celebrate Easter the way we do. Commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit...left chocolate eggs in the night.

I wonder why we're fucked up as a race? Anybody got any clues out there? Where do you get this crap from, y'know? Why those two things? Why not "goldfish left Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer"? As long as we're makin' shit up, go hog wild, y'know? At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

"Mummy! I woke up today and there was a Lincoln Log in me sock drawer!"
"Well son, that's the story of Jesus!"

Happy Ishtar!

Back
Top Bottom