• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ebola's back and we're gonna get in trouble

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
CNN: At least 59 people dead in Guinea Ebola outbreak
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/22/world/africa/fever-epidemic-guinea/

(CNN) -- An Ebola outbreak has killed at least 59 people in Guinea, UNICEF said, as the deadly hemorrhagic fever has quickly spread from southern communities in the West African nation.

Experts in the country had been unable to identify the disease, whose symptoms -- diarrhea, vomiting and fever -- were first observed last month.

Health Minister Remy Lamah said Saturday initial test results confirm the presence of a viral hemorrhagic fever, which according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention refers to a group of viruses that affect multiple organ systems in the body.

"Isolation units are essential to prevent the spread of the disease, which is highly contagious," Dr. Esther Sterk, MSF tropical medicine adviser, said in a written statement. "Specialized staff are providing care to patients showing signs of infection."

CBC: Ebola outbreak in Guinea: 5 things you should know
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/ebola-outbreak-in-guinea-5-things-you-should-know-1.2584439

The current strain is “more virulent,” says Dr. Keystone. Even so, he points out that Ebola’s reputation overshadows the actual threat.

What terrifies the public is “the thought that 90 per cent of people die,” and that “it kills you within a matter of a few days,” he says.

But Ebola, which has killed about 2,000 people since the late-‘70s, is inferior, in terms of efficiency, to a virus such as the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which “spreads quietly, silently, and millions get infected.”

With Ebola, "all the people who get it die," he says, which prevents those hosts from infecting more people.

Yahoo: Guinea Ebola outbreak thought to have spread to Liberia
http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-epidemic-spreads-guineas-capital-173304833.html

Conakry (AFP) - Aid workers and health officials in Guinea battled Monday to contain west Africa's first outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus as neighbouring Liberia reported its first suspected victims.

At least 59 people are known to have died in Guinea's southern forests but the Liberian cases, if confirmed, would mark the first spread of the highly contagious pathogen into another country.

"As of this morning six cases have been reported of which five have already died -- four female adults and one male child. One of the suspected cases, a female child, is under treatment," Liberian Health Minister Walter Gwenigale said in a statement

Ebola is a wonderful disease for poor people in overcrowded living conditions. It may well sweep through Africa, but it won't affect the rich.

Doesn't that make you feel better?

I know this makes me feel better.

With Ebola, "all the people who get it die," he says, which prevents those hosts from infecting more people.

Ebola is a wonderful disease for poor people in overcrowded living conditions. It may well sweep through Africa, but it won't affect the rich.

Doesn't that make you feel better?

You don't even need to be rich. Good medical sanitation is enough to basically stop it.

Some people feel the need to reflexively blame the victim no matter how ridiculous their arguments have to get in order to do so.

One day, I'm going to start punching rightists in the mouth just to see which ones will blame themselves.

Some people feel the need to reflexively blame the victim no matter how ridiculous their arguments have to get in order to do so.

One day, I'm going to start punching rightists in the mouth just to see which ones will blame themselves.

Are you complaining that I pointed out that all that's needed to stop Ebola is good medical sanitation?

Back
Top Bottom