• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Electric bike anyone?

I don't have any personal experience but a friend of mine who lives in a biggish city in China told me yesterday that they are quite popular there and that she was planning on purchasing one soon.

Before anyone else responds, why don't you share your opinions on the positives and negatives?

Electric bikes were very cheap when I was in China (2000 to 2010). They cost little more than a middle range bike. Instead I purchase a peddle bike to lose weight.
This was cheap compared to UK prices. I gave it away when I left China and the recipient still has it. I think they would be competing with electric motor cycles over there as they are also pretty cheap.

My initial concern about an electric bike is that it takes a very simple low tech machine and turns it into a very high tech machine. What is the real exchange here? In other words, what advantages of a foot powered vehicle are lost when we trade up to an electric one?

I am in southern California, and have run into a lot of people (even fitness freaks) with pedal assist bikes. They're good if you're on a long road trip, going up and down a bunch of hills. You don't have to use the pedal assist, but...

There are pedal assist mountain bikes as well, and once again, the people I talked to said they are pretty awesome. Sometimes to get to the top of a good run, you have a lot of uphill, so pedal assist is "fricken awesome".

You generally charge on the downhills (braking charges), so you use up your assist going uphill, then you get charged up on the downhill. It makes for a smoother overall experience, and you can go far longer if you have a lot of up-downs.

That said, I've only ridden one once, it was sort of intense, and I had to get back to work so couldn't really get into it. I think pedal assist would be nice for people who aren't in tip top shape, who would like to start getting back into shape, and enjoy the outdoors.

I'd love to have one. Of course, I've got nowhere to put it. :D

Rain on a road surface that is paved is just water, not mud. So you wear rain gear and carry rain gear whenever you ride. I have light rain gear for warm weather but heavier gear for winter.

Cold is no problem, just dress accordingly. Only unsafe road conditions like ice or snow will make me drive a car.

Wear reflective clothing and use lights. At night you should show up like a christmas tree, which I do.

joedad,

The great thing about winter cycling is that you can take a few drams of Evan Williams before legally embarking.:p

A.

Saturday afternoon and evening is when Evan and I usually get together. On more than a few occasions lately I'll jump on the bike and head to the local food store to grab some things feeling quite tipsy. It is possible to get a DUI on a pedal bike so I have to behave myself, and it isn't even winter!

joedad,

The great thing about winter cycling is that you can take a few drams of Evan Williams before legally embarking.:p

A.

Saturday afternoon and evening is when Evan and I usually get together. On more than a few occasions lately I'll jump on the bike and head to the local food store to grab some things feeling quite tipsy. It is possible to get a DUI on a pedal bike so I have to behave myself, and it isn't even winter!

joedad,

Happy days. :)

BTW, here in the UK a police officer cannot force a breath, urine or blood test on a cyclist and the courts cannot take a cyclist's refusal of such as evidence of offence. There is some DUI law on the statute from way back, but I have never heard of a prosecution. Not sure what applies regarding a horse or mule?

In our local city there a great many weed cyclists, as it is much easier to continue your day with weed than alcohol. :confused:

A.

PS - I had a little drop of Tito's vodka (Texas distilled) last night. Not sure about it yet, will need to try more.

Borked by photobucket.

Jimmy,

This is what I have:

Just click for full image.

A.

We call those things "Crotch Rockets."

BTW I was verbally accosted today on my ride to work by some old lady riding shotgun. Didn't have time to parley so I just kept pedaling.

Nearly all motorists in the state are unaware of rules and instructions pertaining to cyclists. Didn't have the time to educate her.

Jimmy,

This is what I have:

Just click for full image.

A.

BTW I was verbally accosted today on my ride to work by some old lady riding shotgun. Didn't have time to parley so I just kept pedaling.

Nearly all motorists in the state are unaware of rules and instructions pertaining to cyclists. Didn't have the time to educate her.
People seem to not understand cycling and that the bikes have narrower tires, and they have equal right-of-ways to that of a car. At the same time, every once in a while, I see cyclists that think that riding 2 to 3 abreast (and I'm talking casual cycling not a peloton), well into the lane of traffic is kosher.

People seem to not understand cycling and that the bikes have narrower tires, and they have equal right-of-ways to that of a car. At the same time, every once in a while, I see cyclists that think that riding 2 to 3 abreast (and I'm talking casual cycling not a peloton), well into the lane of traffic is kosher.

Jimmy,

Not to mention cyclists who shoot traffic lights! :eeka:

On the electric bike thing. I looked at a KTM city bike yesterday, made from carbon fibre, £3999. No electrics but almost no weight. I just wanted it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/ktm-mountain-bikes-2014-first-look-37761/

Seems to me that taking out weight is a different way to go than adding electrics, but the result is easier and faster progress.

A.

This should only be done when sight distance is limited. Cyclists will typically do this to hold at bay impatient drivers who might try to pass on a hill or curve.

Back
Top Bottom